Author Topic: Democrats hear calls to nix recess  (Read 196 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats hear calls to nix recess
« on: June 24, 2021, 01:12:33 pm »
Democrats hear calls to nix recess
By Alexander Bolton - 06/24/21 06:00 AM EDT

Democratic senators are starting to say the August recess, or at least part of it, should be in peril as the party falls further behind on its legislative agenda.

Bipartisan infrastructure talks have bogged down, and Senate Democrats have only just started work on a reconciliation package, which they hope to use to pass legislative priorities that don’t have Republican support.

Negotiations on police reform, one of the few areas where senators feel more confident about a potential deal, have slowed down. And there’s no progress to report on immigration reform or gun violence legislation. A GOP filibuster on Tuesday prevented the Democratic voting rights bill from even getting a debate on the Senate floor.

Senators are scheduled to leave town for a two-week recess starting Friday. After that, the Senate will be in session for four weeks, until Aug. 6, when it is scheduled to take another long recess until Sept. 13.

A growing number of progressives say Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) needs to think about revising the schedule, arguing the “historic” opportunity to pass a big, bold infrastructure bill is fast disappearing.

“I’m in favor of working right through” the August recess, said Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), a member of the Senate Budget Committee

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/559986-democrats-hear-calls-to-nix-recess
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Democrats hear calls to nix recess
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 01:18:58 pm »
There is no better cudgel to get Congress to work than the prospect of making the members have to spend July and August in the Swamp.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 01:25:39 pm »
What a refreshing change from the democrats all leaving town to stop legitimate legislation from passing.  Going out of their way to go to work instead of shirking their duties!  Can a leopard change its spots?
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 01:29:02 pm »
America is the safest when congress is in recess and Joe Bidens pen runs out of ink.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.