State Chapters > Texas

Governor Abbott Vetoes SB 1109 (87R)

(1/1)

Elderberry:
Office of the Texas Governor | Greg Abbott

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-vetoes-sb-1109-87r

June 21, 2021 | Legislative - Veto Statement

Pursuant to Article IV, Section 14, of the Texas Constitution, I, Greg Abbott, Governor of Texas, do hereby disapprove of and veto Senate Bill No. 1109 as passed by the Eighty-Seventh Texas Legislature, Regular Session, because of the following objections: 

Senate Bill 1109 would require every school district to provide instruction to middle school and high school students regarding the prevention of child abuse, family violence, and dating violence.  These are important subjects and I respect the Senate author’s good intentions, but the bill fails to recognize the right of parents to opt their children out of the instruction.  I have vetoed similar legislation before on this ground, because we must safeguard parental rights regarding this type of instruction.  I look forward to working with the Legislature on a narrower approach. 

Since the Eighty-Seventh Texas Legislature, Regular Session, by its adjournment has prevented the return of this bill, I am filing these objections in the office of the Secretary of State and giving notice thereof by this public proclamation according to the aforementioned constitutional provision. 

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have signed my name officially and caused the Seal of the State to be affixed hereto at Austin, this 18th day of June, 2021. 

GREG ABBOTT

Governor of Texas

IsailedawayfromFR:
Good.  Govt has no role in indoctrinating our kids

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version