Author Topic: A soldier was allegedly killed by a man who walked onto an Army base. His family wants answers.  (Read 218 times)

rangerrebew

A soldier was allegedly killed by a man who walked onto an Army base. His family wants answers.

By
Alex Horton
June 18, 2021 at 1:07 p.m. EDT

Spec. Austin Hawk’s family knew he was counting the days until his military contract was up. So when an Army chaplain in a crisp dress uniform arrived at his grandmother’s door in Southern California last June, she thought he was bringing some kind of farewell commendation.

The chaplain carried a different message. Hawk, a 21-year-old soldier stationed in Georgia, had been killed, she was told — not in combat or in an accident, but stabbed to death in his own barracks room on Fort Stewart.

The alleged assailant, the family would later learn, was a former soldier from Hawk’s platoon who walked uncontested through an unmanned installation gate to carry out what prosecutors have said was a conspiracy to “silence” Hawk for reporting misconduct.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/austin-hawk-fort-stewart-killing/2021/06/18/d3c74ed4-ce49-11eb-8014-2f3926ca24d9_story.html

rangerrebew

When actually service members guarded bases I actually had the feeling they were in charge.  Now that there are rent-a-cops at the gate, I get the feeling these people operate with all the authority of a manager at Dairy Queen.  I'm not at all surprised someone would be able to walk on to a base. :thumbsdown: