Author Topic: As generators fly off the shelves after winter storm, some Texans opt to build their own DIY version  (Read 685 times)

Offline thackney

As generators fly off the shelves after winter storm, some Texans opt to build their own DIY version
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Home-generator-demand-along-with-ingenuity-16244832.php
 June 15, 2021

...Electricians say they have a backlog of customers waiting to install generators as memories of the winter storm that plunged millions of Texans into frigid darkness and caused nearly 200 deaths and billions of dollars in property damage remain raw.

“People really don’t have confidence in government and elected leaders anymore to provide basic necessities,” said Paul. “At the end of the day, you have to have a backup plan.”...

...After February’s winter storm, many Houstonians are opting for a less-expensive do-it-yourself home generator setup. They are purchasing portable generators that can run on natural gas, and hiring plumbers to connect natural gas line to power their generators. Some are having electricians install special hookups that feed generator power directly to wall outlets and wired light fixtures -- eliminating the need to run separate wires from the generator throughout the house.

These jury-rigged home generator setups can cost less than $2,000 to purchase and install, a fraction of the price of traditional whole-house generators. If installed by professional electricians and plumbers, these DIY setups are legal and code compliant. Homeowners can do their own maintenance and repairs to portable generators, and easily take them when they move....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online ironhorsedriver

Save even more. Make a drop cord with 2 220v male plugs. One to your gen the other plugs into your dryer outlet, turn off your main breaker to insure it doesn't backfeed into line. Power to your house, depending on how large your generator is, you can run a lot. The downside is running multiple things with compressors that have to juice up a lot on start up. May have to rotate your fridge with your freezer.

Offline Victoria33

@thackney

For emergencies, I have small heaters run by bottled gas.  They are safe to use in the house - turns off if detects low oxygen level or if turned over.

Offline thackney

@thackney

For emergencies, I have small heaters run by bottled gas.  They are safe to use in the house - turns off if detects low oxygen level or if turned over.

We do as well as a propane kitchen stove: 8 burners at 15,000 BTU each.  We won't freeze.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Until this Feb freeze I never thought I'd need emergency power in the winter. I made it thru 2 summer weeks without power after Hurricane Ike using an old Onan 1800 rpm 2.5kw generator that I had converted to propane years before. I was able to run the fridge then freezer. Washer then gas dryer. Entertainment center, network, pcs, some lights, and one small window AC all on extension cords. The few times I took the gen down, I supplied power with a 500 watt inverter. I cooked with propane. I now have a 5kw gen, but its 3600 rpm. That 1800 rpm Onan was very quiet. Well it did have a 10 ft exhaust pipe with a truck muffler exhausting into a hole in the ground. If I have another power outage in freezing weather, I'll be ready. I'll run power to my central gas heater. As long as I don't run out of nat gas too.

Offline AARguy

We invested in a GENERAC. It works like a charm.

Offline thackney

...As long as I don't run out of nat gas too...

That was a co-worker's problem.  He had in recent years invested in a whole house generator with auto start and transfer switch.  Not enough gas pressure in the local distribution for the generator to run.  He had multiple pipes freeze and burst in his house.