Author Topic: The Texas Minute for 6/21/2021  (Read 367 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Texas Minute for 6/21/2021
« on: June 21, 2021, 12:15:33 pm »
Good morning,

Here is today's Texas Minute.

– Brandon Waltens

•   While the 87th regular legislative session ended on May 31, yesterday marked the last day that Gov. Greg Abbott could either sign or veto legislation, meaning the session is now officially in the rear-view mirror (for now, at least...)

•   Since the legislature left Austin, the team at Texas Scorecard has been hard at work taking a look back at what did (and didn't) get accomplished this year.

•   Below are several of our 87th Legislature Autopsy Reports, in which we explain exactly how some of the conservative priorities lawmakers were tasked with fared during the session.

•   Texas Lawmakers Chose to Not Protect Free Speech: Social media giants are discriminating and censoring non-Democrat voices, and the Texas Legislature is letting them.

•   The Legislative Saga Surrounding Gender Modification Bills: The Legislature ultimately failed to address the issue.

•   Monument Protection Efforts Lack Tangible Results: Only one bill made it through the entire legislative process, and even then, it left vulnerabilities for monuments all over the state.

•   Election Integrity Advocates Let Down by Lawmakers: A handful of reforms passed, but Texas conservatives’ top-priority election integrity bill was bungled by Republican legislators.

•   Texas Lawmakers Didn’t Protect Women’s Sports: If Gov. Greg Abbott doesn’t act, young women remain at risk of losing their athletic opportunities.

•   Lack of Emergency Powers Reform Despite Outcry From Texans: The Legislature adjourned approving a mere patchwork of bills, with only a few addressing the concerns that were raised in the wake of the pandemic.

•   Texas Lawmakers Enact New Pro-Life laws, But Fail to Abolish Abortion: Texas still lags behind other states in protecting children from being aborted.

•   Taxpayers to Reluctantly Continue to Fund Lobbyists: Even with overwhelming bi-partisan support of ending the practice, lawmakers chose petty politics over good policy.

•   Constitutional Carry Finally Passes Finish Line: Pressure from citizen activists has made the longtime priority a reality.

Today in History

On June 21, 1788, the U.S. Constitution went into effect when New Hampshire became the ninth state to ratify it.

Quote-Unquote

"The more I study [the Constitution] the more I have come to admire it, realizing that no other document devised by the hand of man ever brought so much progress and happiness to humanity."– Calvin Coolidge

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: The Texas Minute for 6/21/2021
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 01:07:10 pm »
School choice lost, too. The legislators from both sides of the aisle feared their local school districts, some of them being the largest employers in their voting districts.
The fear that they would be primaried out or lose in general elections if they went against their local school district's wishes.
Kids and parents  lose in bad school districts.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 01:19:39 pm »

School choice lost, too. The legislators from both sides of the aisle feared their local school districts, some of them being the largest employers in their voting districts.
The fear that they would be primaried out or lose in general elections if they went against their local school district's wishes.
Kids and parents  lose in bad school districts.

:yowsa: That is absolutely right!  If I had my way there would be no such thing as a government school.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 01:22:15 pm »
I give the Legislature a "C-" for the session. 

Pretty tepid given the level of party majority.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 04:33:10 pm »
I give the Legislature a "C-" for the session. 

Pretty tepid given the level of party majority.

You are much too generous IMHO. Here is the sorry record of my REPUBLICAN state rep:  https://index.texastaxpayers.com/legislators/ernest-bailes/2021-index
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 05:05:27 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien