Author Topic: Rental Nation: Depriving Americans of Home Ownership Could Be a Good Thing, Economist Says  (Read 1252 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rental Nation: Depriving Americans of Home Ownership Could Be a Good Thing, Economist Says

Penny Starr 20 Jun 2021

The American dream of home ownership should be replaced by corporate investors snapping up houses and turning them into rentals, one economist is proposing.

Karl W. Smith, an adjunct scholar with the Tax Foundation and Bloomberg columnist, believes that scenario could be positive, even if he doesn’t address the fact home ownership is the main way for the middle class to build wealth.

Smith argues “a nation of renters is not something to fear. In fact, it’s the opposite.”

Smith lays out his argument, including citing the troubling statistic that the 64.3 percent of Americans who owned home in 2016 is the lowest percentage since the U.S. Census Bureau starting keeping track of that data in 1984.

And Smith gave a nod to former President Donald Trump, saying homeownership rebounded during his tenure to 66 percent, “but that trend is likely to be arrested by a housing market that is desperately short on supply and seeing month-over-month price increases greater than they were in the frenzied market of 2006.”

Smith argues that single family homes have historically been an “extremely illiquid asset.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/06/20/rental-nation-depriving-americans-home-ownership-could-good-thing-economist-says/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rustynail

You'll own nothing" — And "you'll be happy about it."

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
You'll own nothing" — And "you'll be happy about it."

Yep, the "Great Reset". It's what the whole Covid sham shutdown was about.
Let it burn.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
There a great many who can barely afford rent let alone paying a mortgage, maintenance and repair and taxes. So I really don't like the depriving part, I can't help but remember the last time that prices were driven up by foreign nationals and corporations buying properties and how they lost huge when the economy and house prices tanked.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:13:51 pm by GtHawk »

Offline berdie

The rental prices in Dallas are stupid! The house prices are as well. I don't know how people afford to live. I'm sure that is true nationwide...even out here in tiny town.