General Category > Books and Authors

New book: Challenger crew likely survived explosion, died after plunging back to Earth

(1/2) > >>

mystery-ak:
New book: Challenger crew likely survived explosion, died after plunging back to Earth
June 20, 2021 | Vivek Saxena

While researching the life of Christa McAuliffe, one of seven passengers aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger when it exploded only 73 seconds into its flight on Jan. 28th, 1986, award-winning biographer Kevin Cook discovered something horrific.

The crew members didn’t die when the explosion was triggered. They remained alive for two minutes and 45 seconds as the shuttle dropped toward the Earth. Not til it crashed into the ocean at 207 miles per hour did they perish.

This and more stunning facts about the horrific tragedy are reportedly outlined in Cook’s latest biography, “The Burning Blue: The Untold Story of Christa McAuliffe and NASA’s Challenger Disaster.”

--- End quote ---

https://twitter.com/WBAI/status/1405495567350915073

“[T]he capsule the crew was sitting inside did not explode. It was ejected in the explosion, and remained intact,” the New York Post reported Saturday, citing the findings from Cook’s book.

“The brave crew members — Smith, Dick Scobee, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Judith Resnik, Gregory Jarvis and Christa McAuliffe — survived the initial disaster and ‘were conscious, at least at first, and fully aware that something was wrong,'” the outlet added, quoting directly from the book.

In an interview earlier this month with NPR, Cook revealed that this was not something he’d known when he started writing the book.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/06/20/new-book-challenger-crew-likely-survived-explosion-died-after-plunging-back-to-earth-1091736/

Cyber Liberty:
I remember hearing about this back when it happened.  NASA would had to have wanted to keep this under wraps, because there would have been a huge outcry demanding the crew compartment be something that could be ejected to safety at the first sign of trouble, like every US spacecraft before and since the Challenger disaster.

Ghost Bear:

--- Quote from: Cyber Liberty on June 20, 2021, 09:16:07 pm ---I remember hearing about this back when it happened.  NASA would had to have wanted to keep this under wraps, because there would have been a huge outcry demanding the crew compartment be something that could be ejected to safety at the first sign of trouble, like every US spacecraft before and since the Challenger disaster.

--- End quote ---

Yes, this isn't anything new, this information has been known for years. Heck, there are YouTube videos about it.

Joe Wooten:
Yep. I remember hearing about the week it happened

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: Joe Wooten on June 21, 2021, 09:08:19 pm ---Yep. I remember hearing about the week it happened

--- End quote ---
Me, too. NASA already had a PR nightmare on their hands, though, and it wasn't mentioned much.  Original proposed designs had a crew capsule which could be separated from the rest of the orbiter in the instance of a problem, something like the crew escape module on the F-111. It was nixed over expense, iirc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version