Author Topic: Ron DeSantis Beats Donald Trump in Major, Grassroots 2024 Straw Poll  (Read 4703 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ron DeSantis Beats Donald Trump in Major, Grassroots 2024 Straw Poll
By John Arthur | Jun 20, 2021 2:30 PM ET

Former President Donald J. Trump has clearly shifted the Republican Party towards a more populist direction since he first came down that escalator six years ago. But, since January 20 of this year, the big question has been whether or not voters would stick with President Trump, should he run again in 2024.

The GOP Establishment would love nothing more than to go back to the pre-Trump era, but it’s clear the voters want to go even further MAGA, so to speak. And this weekend, conference attendees at the Western Conservative Summit showed for the first time that in 2024, Ron DeSantis may be the Republican base’s choice to continue what President Trump started.

The Daily Wire reports that the Western Conservative Summit found that for those who attended, “The top five candidates, in order of most approval to least, were: Ron DeSantis (74%), Donald Trump (71%), Sen. Ted Cruz (43%), Mike Pompeo (39%) and Sen. Tim Scott (36%),”

Likewise, “Former Vice President Pence came in tenth place.”

more
https://redstate.com/johnarthur/2021/06/20/ron-desantis-beats-donald-trump-in-major-grassroots-2024-straw-poll-n399731
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Re: Ron DeSantis Beats Donald Trump in Major, Grassroots 2024 Straw Poll
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 07:27:42 pm »
Not surprising.  So far .... DeSantis has a pretty clean record.   Of course the obvious; election and ballot integrity is paramount and if amnesty is granted; there's no way a GOP will be seated.

Between now and election time, a lot can happen!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 07:35:11 pm »
Not surprising.  So far .... DeSantis has a pretty clean record.   Of course the obvious; election and ballot integrity is paramount and if amnesty is granted; there's no way a GOP will be seated.

Between now and election time, a lot can happen!

Without Trump, there never would have been DeSantis.   That being said, it's time to pass on the torch.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 08:19:40 pm »
Right now DeSantis is in the driver seat.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 09:18:22 pm »
I've always said polls are notorious for being inaccurate predictors of public sentiment, and "straw polls" are the worst of the worst because all the participants are self-selected.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 09:34:41 pm »
Without Trump, there never would have been DeSantis.   That being said, it's time to pass on the torch.

Guess where that torch is going if Trump's not at the top of the ticket:  Romney/Haley or Scott/Cheney ....

DeSantis, whom I like, won't even make it to the big boy's debate stage.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 09:43:27 pm »
Right now DeSantis is in the driver seat.

DeSantis is 42 years old.  If he's driving anywhere it best be to the VP slot on a Trump ticket.  Four years of Trump's tutelage (especially foreign policy) and DeSantis is President through 2037.

DeSantis pushes too soon for the gold ring, and he's done.  There is no way in hell the GOP will have fought for six years to get rid of Trump just to roll over for a younger version.  The GOP will deny DeSantis the nomination and if he should squeeze it out, they'll deny him the White House.

If Trump wants it, the nomination if his.  The real contest is for the number two slot.  The one who figures this out, wins.  Bigly.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 10:09:38 pm »

DeSantis is just using and saying all the things POTUS TRUMP said. He even copied some hand gestures. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 10:12:13 pm »
DeSantis is 42 years old.  If he's driving anywhere it best be to the VP slot on a Trump ticket.  Four years of Trump's tutelage (especially foreign policy) and DeSantis is President through 2037.

DeSantis pushes too soon for the gold ring, and he's done.  There is no way in hell the GOP will have fought for six years to get rid of Trump just to roll over for a younger version.  The GOP will deny DeSantis the nomination and if he should squeeze it out, they'll deny him the White House.

If Trump wants it, the nomination if his.  The real contest is for the number two slot.  The one who figures this out, wins.  Bigly.

We know the original, from a copy!   lol.       :hands:     Ron has learned a lot from POTUS TRUMP. 

Online rustynail

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 10:23:34 pm »
Are they using this 'poll' to cause friction and  drive a wedge?

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 10:37:19 pm »
Are they using this 'poll' to cause friction and  drive a wedge?

IMO, (FWIW) @rustynail there will be a growing drumbeat to replace Trump with DeSantis.  The GOP, orchestrating this, knows there's plenty of time to take out DeSantis once Trump's claim to the nomination has been erased or diminished. 

They may even feel strong enough to prevent DeSantis' reelection.  Two birds, one stone.

We're being played.

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 10:43:26 pm »

There is no question that Trump pretty much got DeSantis elected and it was a very narrow win (less than 1%).  I don't see DeSantis pushing for any seat other than the governor's seat, which is fine by me.  We need him right where he's at. IMHO conservatives aren't going to win from the top down; a good solid conservative foundation from the bottom up needs to be built -- especially governors. 

I'm not so confident that if Trump wants the nomination it's his -- the same people who fought to get rid of him, will continue to put up roadblocks and fight tooth and nail to ensure that he doesn't get the nomination and to get rid of him once and for all. You, know, people like Mittens and Mitch -- those idiots still like to think that they are gods. What I find interesting at this point, is there has been no real pushback from the DEMS against DeSantis and I can't figure out why.

I know you disagree with me, but my concern still is Trump's age; yes he has more energy than someone half his age, but nonetheless age usually does eventually catch up.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 10:53:57 pm »

I suspect @Right_in_Virginia is correct, the nomination is Trump's if he wants it.

But the idea that the running-mate position will be some kind of big prize is risible.  Everyone knows Trump destroyed and alienated all the people that he himself selected; no one in their right mind will want the number two slot, or any other slot in a second Trump administration.  No one wants to be the next Mike Pence, or Rex Tillerson, or Jim Jeffords, or Reince Priebus, or Sean Spicer, or John Kelly, or Anthony Scaramucci, or Jim Mattis, or Bob Barr.  Everyone Trump touches turns to lead.

I'm a University of Tennessee football fan.  We Vol fans maintain this delusion that the head coaching job there is a plum position, one of the best in the country, but in reality it's not.  The program has declined so far and the fans are so fickle and unreasonable that the job is not desirable, and can only attract dark horse and second-tier candidates.  Working for Trump is basically a football coaching position at the University of Tennessee; it's a bad career move and the kind of people we would want there are very unlikely to accept the job.

DeSantis might have to wait out a second Trump administration, but he doesn't need Trump for anything.  Trump's first administration demonstrates that accepting a VP slot with him would have far more potential downside than up side.  And before we accept the idea that DeSantis needs to learn anything from Trump, how about we identify a single prominent, successful person who considers Trump a mentor.

What the country needs is Trump's policies.  His people management record in the White House was abysmal.

Vol football fans can list all the reasons that the last few coaches were all bad hires.  And I'm sure we can quickly make up a long list of reasons why all those former first Trump administration officials were all terrible people.  Remember who selected them.
James 1:20

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 11:34:38 pm »
 :thumbsup:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 12:32:51 am »
I suspect @Right_in_Virginia is correct, the nomination is Trump's if he wants it.

DeSantis might have to wait out a second Trump administration, but he doesn't need Trump for anything.  What the country needs is Trump's policies. 

Like him, love him or hate him @HoustonSam removing Donald Trump from the tip of the spear in 2024 simply means we'll be blessed with a second Cheney as candidate for Vice President.

The very thing the GOP despised even more than the man --- were Trump's policies. 

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 12:48:20 am »
Like him, love him or hate him @HoustonSam removing Donald Trump from the tip of the spear in 2024 simply means we'll be blessed with a second Cheney as candidate for Vice President.

The record proves that keeping him at the tip of the spear could bless us with a second Pence.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 12:53:15 am »

But the idea that the running-mate position will be some kind of big prize is risible.  Everyone knows Trump destroyed and alienated all the people that he himself selected; no one in their right mind will want the number two slot, or any other slot in a second Trump administration.  No one wants to be the next Mike Pence, or Rex Tillerson, or Jim Jeffords, or Reince Priebus, or Sean Spicer, or John Kelly, or Anthony Scaramucci, or Jim Mattis, or Bob Barr.  Everyone Trump touches turns to lead.

I'm a University of Tennessee football fan.  We Vol fans maintain this delusion that the head coaching job there is a plum position, one of the best in the country, but in reality it's not.  The program has declined so far and the fans are so fickle and unreasonable that the job is not desirable, and can only attract dark horse and second-tier candidates.  Working for Trump is basically a football coaching position at the University of Tennessee; it's a bad career move and the kind of people we would want there are very unlikely to accept the job.

DeSantis might have to wait out a second Trump administration, but he doesn't need Trump for anything.  Trump's first administration demonstrates that accepting a VP slot with him would have far more potential downside than up side.  And before we accept the idea that DeSantis needs to learn anything from Trump, how about we identify a single prominent, successful person who considers Trump a mentor.

What the country needs is Trump's policies.  His people management record in the White House was abysmal.

Vol football fans can list all the reasons that the last few coaches were all bad hires.  And I'm sure we can quickly make up a long list of reasons why all those former first Trump administration officials were all terrible people.  Remember who selected them.

I had to stop reading.......NT. post.

Online libertybele

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 12:56:12 am »
Also consider that polls are not reliable.  Not by a long shot.  I don't think Trump has lost his popularity, if anything IMHO, he's likely become more popular.

DeSantis is in the spotlight a lot, but not so much is being reported by the more liberal news outlets.

Conservatives have an uphill battle and as I've stated a couple of times, building from the group up, IMHO is the way forward.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 01:00:26 am »
The record proves that keeping him at the tip of the spear could bless us with a second Pence.

You want to blame him for that too?  Did it occur to you that 99% OF GOP AND 100%  DNC ...ARE CORRUPT?  Same with Supreme Court.....SAME WITH MILITARY.   Leftists....are everywhere , destroying America and our constitution. Lloyd Austin is purging all the conservatives in the military. His personal issues. 

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 03:03:21 am »

It does no such thing.   In fact, I look forward to the President asking this question at his rallies next year:  "Should I go with Pence?"   88devil

Decent try though @HoustonSam     :laugh:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 03:06:40 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2021, 03:16:26 am »
A much nicer, gentler, soft NeverTrumper approach might just have some traction, and with Patriotic, put America first Trump out of the picture, the democrats, JUST LIKE NOW, can run wild and take us down the road we are on with few to get in the way.  Lets just agree on nevertrump without too much hysteria and maybe we can reach the final utopia.  Death to capitalism, lets all just learn to be satisfied with eating rats, and blame God for;  How could God have let this desolation happen!  First denials, then blame shift.  (Does even God know how clever we are)?  Its how those without morals or shame operate.
 22222frying pan :smokin: 22222frying pan
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 03:22:31 am »
It does no such thing.   In fact, I look forward to the President asking this question at his rallies next year:  "Should I go with Pence?"   88devil

Decent try though @HoustonSam     :laugh:

@Right_in_Virginia I thought you meant someone we could identify as a globalist like Dick Cheney; I didn't realize you literally meant Liz Cheney.  That suggestion is so far beyond absurd that I didn't think even your monochromatic orange hallucinations could entertain it as a possibility.  You can write down that I said it : there is no way Liz Cheney will be the Rs VP nominee in 2024.  Even I think she should be expelled from the party for supporting impeachment.

I didn't literally mean Mike Pence; I meant someone you would again end up maligning as a coward and traitor.  Given Trump's actual record in picking people and then getting crossed up with them, that outcome seems rather likely.

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 05:24:19 am »
I didn't literally mean Mike Pence;

You certainly meant Mike Pence.   :laugh:

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 05:28:15 am »
You can write down that I said it : there is no way Liz Cheney will be the Rs VP nominee in 2024. 

@HoustonSam   You clearly have not been paying attention these last five years.  The GOPe wants its power back and Cheney as the VP nominee will be the cherry on their parfait.  They'll forfeit the WH to make this happen.

The only thing standing between the GOP and their sweet dessert is Donald J. Trump.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 12:33:15 pm »
@HoustonSam   You clearly have not been paying attention these last five years.  The GOPe wants its power back and Cheney as the VP nominee will be the cherry on their parfait.  They'll forfeit the WH to make this happen.

Oh that's right, and that's why the GOPe kept Liz Cheney in a leadership position in the House Republican Caucus.  Wait a minute - THEY DIDN'T.

@Right_in_Virginia if you are reduced to this kind of fantasy straw man argument for Trump - "If we don't nominate him Liz Cheney will be the running mate" - then not only do you need a better hero than Trump, Trump needs a better advocate than you.

Rather than wasting people's time with hallucinations that literally no one believes, why don't you go back to your ground-breaking work on Trump's hagiography.  If you get it completed soon perhaps you can have a few of the world's major religions declare him "Venerable" in time for the primaries.