General Category > Shooting Sports

Smith & Wesson CEO gives grim insight into future of ammo shortage

(1/2) > >>

mystery-ak:
Smith & Wesson CEO gives grim insight into future of ammo shortage
June 19, 2021 | Vivek Saxena

An ammunition shortage that began during the coronavirus pandemic and the heated 2020 election reportedly continues to plague manufacturers as Americans remain committed to stockpiling as many guns and as much ammo as possible.

“It’s widely known the ammunition shortages continue. There is still a lot of interest in firearms,” Smith & Wesson CEO Mark Smith said this week to Fox Business Network.

The data backs his statement.

A survey conducted by the market research firm Southwick Associates in April found that, out of 1,800 ammo customers surveyed, 75 percent had already experienced out-of-stock issues this year, down by only 5 percent from the record high recorded in 2020.

“Of these respondents, 79% reported either fully or partially reducing their target shooting and hunting outings as a result of depleted ammunition shelves. Going forward, ammunition demand is expected to remain high,” the firm, which specializes in outdoor activities, announced in a press release last month.

“Nearly two-thirds of ammunition consumers report their current ammunition inventory was lower than they would prefer. When asked how much more ammunition they would like to have on hand, 43% reported ‘much more’ while 38% reported ‘a little more.’ Only 17% were satisfied with the amounts they currently had on hand,” it added.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/06/19/smith-wesson-ceo-gives-grim-insight-into-future-of-ammo-shortage-1091301/

thackney:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on June 19, 2021, 10:59:13 pm ---“Of these respondents, 79% reported either fully or partially reducing their target shooting and hunting outings as a result of depleted ammunition shelves.
--- End quote ---

I absolutely did, ammo shortage combined with a "spend no extra money" until I climb out of last year's hole.

mountaineer:

--- Quote ---79% reported either fully or partially reducing their target shooting and hunting outings
--- End quote ---
We don't hunt, but haven't been to the range in many months. I'm willing to use no more than 30 rounds of 9mm for target practice at this point, until I can get my hands on a few more boxes (unless I shoot with my father's old WWII .22 High-Standard, for which I seem to have plenty of ammo).

Elderberry:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on June 20, 2021, 01:51:17 pm ---We don't hunt, but haven't been to the range in many months. I'm willing to use no more than 30 rounds of 9mm for target practice at this point, until I can get my hands on a few more boxes (unless I shoot with my father's old WWII .22 High-Standard, for which I seem to have plenty of ammo).

--- End quote ---

I love those High-Standard .22s. When I was at the U of H they said I needed to take at least one athletics course to graduate. So I took an ROTC "Problem Analysis and Decision Making" course that counted. Tuesday was lecture, but Thursdays was Pistol Marksmanship using High-Standard .22s. We shot under the Hofheinz Pavilion. I've always wanted to pick one up.

I'm down to only about 800 rds of Eley Match ammo left from a case I picked up from CMP.

Sighlass:

--- Quote from: Elderberry on June 20, 2021, 02:07:14 pm ---I love those High-Standard .22s. When I was at the U of H they said I needed to take at least one athletics course to graduate. So I took an ROTC "Problem Analysis and Decision Making" course that counted. Tuesday was lecture, but Thursdays was Pistol Marksmanship using High-Standard .22s. We shot under the Hofheinz Pavilion. I've always wanted to pick one up.

--- End quote ---

I could kick myself for giving mine (shorter 4 1/2 barrow) to a nephew that didn't have the sense God gave him... (he sold it).... Painful to think about now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version