State Chapters > Texas

'Woke up sweating': Some Texans shocked to find their smart thermostats were raised remotely

(1/2) > >>

thackney:
'Woke up sweating': Some Texans shocked to find their smart thermostats were raised remotely
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/texas/remote-thermostat-adjustment-texas-energy-shortage/285-5acf2bc5-54b7-4160-bffe-1f9a5ef4362a
June 18, 2021

Some neighbors in the Houston area said their homes have been much warmer this week, even while they are running their air conditioners.

Many of them claim someone has been turning up the temperature on their thermostats since the energy shortage began....

...The family’s smart thermostat was installed a few years ago as part of a new home security package. Many smart thermostats can be enrolled in a program called "Smart Savers Texas." It's operated by a company called EnergyHub.

The agreement states that in exchange for an entry into sweepstakes, electric customers allow them to control their thermostats during periods of high energy demand. EnergyHub’s list of its clients include TXU Energy, CenterPoint and ERCOT.

English said he unenrolled their thermostat as soon as he found out....

Smokin Joe:
One more thing I like about my 100+ year old 'dumb' house.

PeteS in CA:
We have “smart” thermostats, but installed by our choice. I doubt that Santa Clara County, the State of California, or PG&E know they exist in our home.

mystery-ak:
Our power company offered us and I assume other customers a free smart thermostat [200 value]

I course I took it..my son set it all up for us.

It was so hard and confusing to change the settings, kept telling us there was no internet connection when there was one...could not figure out how to change from heat to cool etc....don't judge..lol

I know we are old and not tech savvy but this thing was a PITA

So Mike went to the hardware store, bought a simple on/off heat/cool thermostat for $25 and we are back to normal...lol

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on June 19, 2021, 10:08:44 am ---One more thing I like about my 100+ year old 'dumb' house.

--- End quote ---

I have thought about letting giggles turn on the porch light and maybe an interior light... But the one that matters, whether I left the stove on, well, letting Giggles shut the stove off would likewise mean that Giggles could turn the thing on too... and I sure don't need to do that.

They ain't figgered how to let Giggles put another log on the fire, so I ain't got a worry there.  :laugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version