State Chapters > California

Gavin Newsom Assaulted by ‘Aggressive’ Homeless Man on Oakland Street

(1/1)

mystery-ak:
Gavin Newsom Assaulted by ‘Aggressive’ Homeless Man on Oakland Street

Rebecca Mansour 18 Jun 2021

A man has been arrested on suspicion of assaulting California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) during his visit to downtown Oakland, authorities said Friday.

Newsom was walking to a barbershop and pizzeria on Washington Street in Old Oakland to promote small businesses when he was “approached by an aggressive individual,” said Fran Clader, director of communications for the California Highway Patrol, which provides security for the governor.

Officers removed Newsom from the situation and arrested the 54-year-old man, she said.

Newsom did not appear injured, the East Bay Times reported, and quipped to reporters that different people have different ways of saying hello. The assailant allegedly threw a water bottle at the governor, according to law enforcement sources who spoke to the East Bay Times.

The man was taken to Alameda County jail, where he was booked for investigation of resisting an executive officer and assaulting a public official.

Reached by phone, a woman who identified as the suspect’s sister described him as a homeless man with severe mental health problems. She said the allegation made by authorities was “consistent with his past behavior.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/06/18/gavin-newsome-assaulted-by-aggressive-homeless-man-on-oakland-street/

skeeter:
We'll find out later the man was a restaurateur who wasn't homeless until last year.

"We have no idea why he attacked Gavin"

GtHawk:
I think Noisome is lucky, if it was me  I would have thrown something a bit more excremental rather than something with a CRV.

IsailedawayfromFR:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on June 18, 2021, 11:30:21 pm ---Gavin Newsom Assaulted by ‘Aggressive’ Homeless Man on Oakland Street

Rebecca Mansour 18 Jun 2021

A man has been arrested on suspicion of assaulting California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) during his visit to downtown Oakland, authorities said Friday.

Newsom was walking to a barbershop and pizzeria on Washington Street in Old Oakland to promote small businesses when he was “approached by an aggressive individual,” said Fran Clader, director of communications for the California Highway Patrol, which provides security for the governor.

Officers removed Newsom from the situation and arrested the 54-year-old man, she said.

Newsom did not appear injured, the East Bay Times reported, and quipped to reporters that different people have different ways of saying hello. The assailant allegedly threw a water bottle at the governor, according to law enforcement sources who spoke to the East Bay Times.

The man was taken to Alameda County jail, where he was booked for investigation of resisting an executive officer and assaulting a public official.

Reached by phone, a woman who identified as the suspect’s sister described him as a homeless man with severe mental health problems. She said the allegation made by authorities was “consistent with his past behavior.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/06/18/gavin-newsome-assaulted-by-aggressive-homeless-man-on-oakland-street/

--- End quote ---
@PeteS in CA

Am curious, that this was not just simple assault.  Are there laws on the books in CA that make it a larger crime to assault a public official?  And I wonder what is 'an executive officer'?

PeteS in CA:

--- Quote from: IsailedawayfromFR on June 19, 2021, 01:25:32 pm --- @PeteS in CA

Am curious, that this was not just simple assault.  Are there laws on the books in CA that make it a larger crime to assault a public official?  And I wonder what is 'an executive officer'?

--- End quote ---

I wasn’t aware of such a law, but it isn’t all that surprising. Or unique, I suppose.

As the President is the executive officer for the US, a governor is the executive officer for a state.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version