Author Topic: U.S. suspects 4,000 cases of fraud in the Iraqi refugee program  (Read 289 times)

rangerrebew

U.S. suspects 4,000 cases of fraud in the Iraqi refugee program
Iraqi refugee program
2021-06-18 11:08

Shafaq News/ U.S. authorities pursuing a sweeping fraud investigation suspect some 4,000 Iraqis of filing fraudulent applications for resettlement in the United States as refugees, and they are re-examining cases involving more than 104,000 others, according to State Department reports reviewed by Reuters.
More than 500 Iraqis already admitted as refugees have been implicated in the alleged fraud and could be deported or stripped of their U.S. citizenship, according to one document sent to members of Congress. It said there was "no indication to date that any of these 500+ individuals have ties to terrorism."
The probe - one of the biggest into refugee program fraud in recent history - is fueling reservations among some in Joe Biden's administration as they debate whether to create a similar program to assist Afghan refugees as American troops withdraw after 20 years of war, U.S. officials told Reuters.

https://shafaq.com/en/Report/U-S-suspects-4-000-cases-of-fraud-in-the-Iraqi-refugee-program

Offline AARguy

Re: U.S. suspects 4,000 cases of fraud in the Iraqi refugee program
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 04:58:22 pm »
I was part of a contractor team training the NEW Iraqi Army 2003-2004. I had an I-T (Interpreter-Translator) who was a recent graduate of Baghdad University. He helped us a lot from indoor classes, to tests, to field training. His relatives started being killed soon after I left. I approached my Congressman (Duncan Hunter) to help get "Ayman" admitted to the US. I tried and many of my colleagues tried to help Ayman. Eventually he ended up in Australia with his mother and sister. He was a fine young man that we totally let down. I guess we never learn.