Author Topic: Three Reasons Why a DACA Amnesty is a Bad Idea  (Read 147 times)

rangerrebew

Three Reasons Why a DACA Amnesty is a Bad Idea
« on: June 18, 2021, 04:28:36 pm »

Three Reasons Why a DACA Amnesty is a Bad Idea
avatar By Madison McQueen   June 15, 2021 1 Comment

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals words under a magnifying glass   

Once again, Democrats are pushing for permanent lawful status for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients. On June 15, the Senate Judiciary Committee is holding a hearing on the recurring American Dream and Promise Act which seeks to give citizenship to millions of illegal aliens who are currently protected by DACA, or a program known as temporary protected status (TPS), as well as anyone who came to the U.S. as a minor, regardless of whether they are currently enrolled in DACA.

The hearing comes on the ninth anniversary of DACA and now more than ever, it is important to highlight not only why DACA should be eliminated altogether but also why providing an amnesty to these recipients is a horrible idea.

(1) DACA is unconstitutional.

Created by President Obama in 2012, DACA essentially rewrote immigration law without congressional consent. According to Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution, Congress has exclusive control over creating immigration policy. President Obama himself admitted as much. He noted one year before the program’s creation, “With respect to the notion that I can just suspend deportations through executive order, that’s just not the case, because there are laws on the books that Congress has passed…for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates would not conform with my appropriate role as President.”

https://www.immigrationreform.com/2021/06/15/daca-bad-idea-three-reasons-immigrationreform-com/