Author Topic: The ‘Dream and Promise Act of 2021’ Amnesty, Part 1  (Read 169 times)

rangerrebew

The ‘Dream and Promise Act of 2021’ Amnesty, Part 1
« on: June 18, 2021, 04:10:04 pm »
The ‘Dream and Promise Act of 2021’ Amnesty, Part 1
How did we get here?
By Andrew R. Arthur on June 16, 2021

Apprehensions at the Southwest border are at a 21-year high, and that’s especially true when it comes to unaccompanied alien children (UACs). Border Patrol has apprehended more UACs each month since March than it did in any single prior month for which it keeps records (back to October 2009). You may think that would mean that Democrats would want to keep their heads down and not talk about an amnesty for aliens who came as children — but you would be wrong.

On June 15, the Democrat-controlled Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on H.R. 6, the “American Dream and Promise Act of 2021”. This was not a mark-up of the bill, but rather more of a “listening session”. I am not sure what committee Chairman Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) expected to hear, but as I will explain in my next post, it was a disaster for its proponents.

Briefly, H.R. 6 would provide green cards (either permanent or “conditional”) to aliens who have been granted “prosecutorial discretion” under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, as well as to aliens who have been granted Temporary Protected Status (TPS).

https://cis.org/Arthur/Dream-and-Promise-Act-2021-Amnesty-Part-1