Author Topic: Blue State Blues: Celebrate Juneteenth, a Republican Victory over Democrat Racists  (Read 529 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Blue State Blues: Celebrate Juneteenth, a Republican Victory over Democrat Racists

Joel B. Pollak 18 Jun 2021

President Joe Biden signed Juneteenth into law as a federal holiday on Thursday. Biden said that Americans “must” and “ought to” observe it — though he spent half a century in public office before doing anything about it.

Sine June 19 happens to fall on Saturday this year, the federal government will observe Juneteenth on Friday, June 18, meaning that Biden shut down the entire U.S. government on short notice. (Remember that, the next time Democrats complain about a budget impasse.)

Juneteenth, also called “Freedom Day” or “Emancipation Day,” celebrates the day in 1865 on which Union soldiers informed black Americans in Galveston, Texas, that they had been freed by the Emancipation Proclamation nearly two-and-a-half years before.

It is, in a sense, the celebration of a Republican victory over Democratic racists.

The holiday, carried nationwide through migration, has since also become an expression of African American heritage and pride.

Why was Juneteenth never a federal holiday before?

America already has a holiday celebrating the end of the Civil War: it is Memorial Day, originally known as Decoration Day.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/06/18/blue-state-blues-celebrate-juneteenth-a-republican-victory-over-democrat-racists/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

That's a reach.  If they really wanted that,  the date of The Emancipation Proclamation would be the holiday, not this.

Nobody even knew about Juneteenth,  until the media went apoplectic over Trump scheduling a rally on the 19th, even though the vast majority of those people had never even heard of Juneteenth before that.   

This is all yet another "Stick it To Trump Supporters" thing.  And even Trump himself, fell for it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:47:09 pm by dfwgator »

Offline The_Reader_David

If the Trump rally controversy was the first time you heard of Juneteenth, you either haven't been paying attention, or live in a place where there are no African-Americans.  Out here in Kansas, any town with a sizeable black population has a Juneteenth picnic, and has for years.  I think the custom slowly spread from Texas, and I'm not sure when it arrived here, but it was well before Trump was elected.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
If the Trump rally controversy was the first time you heard of Juneteenth, you either haven't been paying attention, or live in a place where there are no African-Americans.  Out here in Kansas, any town with a sizeable black population has a Juneteenth picnic, and has for years.  I think the custom slowly spread from Texas, and I'm not sure when it arrived here, but it was well before Trump was elected.

I had never heard of Juneteenth until I moved to Houston in 1992, and I learned about it soon thereafter; my sense is that it has been only marginally known until the last few years.  I wonder honestly what proportion of urban Black people in the country's major cities outside TX and adjacent states know about Juneteenth.

But some of this is knowledge not crossing racial lines.  I did not know until recently that Black people in my home county of Tennessee have observed the date of Tennessee's ratification of the 13th Amendment (April 1865) as the date signifying the end of slavery.  As someone who has long had an intense interest in history, and believing that I am a fair-minded person, I was disappointed in myself to recognize that I had not known this and I should have.

Some Federal-level observance of the end of slavery in the United States seems appropriate to me; surely we can all agree that was a momentous event in the progress of human rights in this country.  It seems to me that the date of the 13th Amendment being ratified (December 1865 - yes slavery remained legal in the United States for months after the Confederates all surrendered) would be more appropriate and legally accurate; failing that, the date of the Emancipation Proclamation would make some sense although I'll argue it actually revealed that Lincoln's war aim was union, not abolition.

Obviously this addition to the calendar of Federal holidays is driven by feelings rather than thoughts.  The image of bewildered, haggard slaves in threadbare clothing hearing Union General Gordon Granger announce their freedom on the streets of Galveston has much greater emotional impact than the work of "dead white men" amending the "systemically racist" US Constitution.  As with all things racially "woke", emotion must displace reason and belief must displace fact.
James 1:20

Offline goatprairie

I first heard about Juneteeth in college more than 50 years ago. But I would bet that only a small fraction of Americans (even in areas with large black populations) know what it is.
One other problem with naming this as a holiday, rather than Lincoln's proclamation, is that many blacks have deluded themselves into believing black slaves freed themselves. While some black slaves managed to escape their bondage, it was a fact that the great bulk of black slaves only gained their freedom after Union troops freed them through battle.
When Sherman marched through Georgia he had the problem of a very large  contingent of recently freed blacks following the troops. Sherman had to feed them as well as his own troops. The Union army hired many blacks as workers after they gained their freedom while many others joined the army as soldiers.
There is a large effort by the usual suspects to claim whites had nothing to do with freeing blacks, believe it or not.

Offline goatprairie

I had never heard of Juneteenth until I moved to Houston in 1992, and I learned about it soon thereafter; my sense is that it has been only marginally known until the last few years.  I wonder honestly what proportion of urban Black people in the country's major cities outside TX and adjacent states know about Juneteenth.

But some of this is knowledge not crossing racial lines.  I did not know until recently that Black people in my home county of Tennessee have observed the date of Tennessee's ratification of the 13th Amendment (April 1865) as the date signifying the end of slavery.  As someone who has long had an intense interest in history, and believing that I am a fair-minded person, I was disappointed in myself to recognize that I had not known this and I should have.

Some Federal-level observance of the end of slavery in the United States seems appropriate to me; surely we can all agree that was a momentous event in the progress of human rights in this country.  It seems to me that the date of the 13th Amendment being ratified (December 1865 - yes slavery remained legal in the United States for months after the Confederates all surrendered) would be more appropriate and legally accurate; failing that, the date of the Emancipation Proclamation would make some sense although I'll argue it actually revealed that Lincoln's war aim was union, not abolition.

Obviously this addition to the calendar of Federal holidays is driven by feelings rather than thoughts.  The image of bewildered, haggard slaves in threadbare clothing hearing Union General Gordon Granger announce their freedom on the streets of Galveston has much greater emotional impact than the work of "dead white men" amending the "systemically racist" US Constitution.  As with all things racially "woke", emotion must displace reason and belief must displace fact.
Lincoln's primary aim was to save the Union. He made the oft-quoted statement about freeing only some slaves, or freeing all of them, or keeping them all slaves, the most important thing for him was to preserve the Union. He was under pressure by abolitionists (Lincoln was not formally one of them) to free the slaves and made the subsequent remark about what was the most important thing for him.
The EP was basically at the time a war move designed to cause the rebellious Southern states problems. He exempted Southern border states that were still loyal to the Union from the proclamation.
 Lincoln, to be sure, was anti-slavery, but before secession and war he could not find anything in the constitution that would allow him to unilaterally ban slavery. The war, of course, provided him the opportunity as part of his presidential war powers.
Incidentally, I'm currently reading Shelby Foote's huge three volume history of the CW. Foote is a fascinating writer and provides many details about the war I didn't read about in any of the other books I've read about the war.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Never heard of it before a few weeks ago, and why should I have?
It is simply a Union (Republican) General informing slaves and their Democrat masters in Texas about the emancipation proclamation.

Don't understand why this particular event is considered so important.
It was simply another case of Republican Union soldiers enforcing the free slave doctrine in the Democrat South.
I'm sure situations just like this happened all across the Democrat South at the end of the Civil War.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline dfwgator

Never heard of it before a few weeks ago, and why should I have?
It is simply a Union (Republican) General informing slaves and their Democrat masters in Texas about the emancipation proclamation.

Don't understand why this particular event is considered so important.
It was simply another case of Republican Union soldiers enforcing the free slave doctrine in the Democrat South.
I'm sure situations just like this happened all across the Democrat South at the end of the Civil War.

So then why not make the anniversary of the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation the National Holiday?

Offline goatprairie

So then why not make the anniversary of the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation the National Holiday?
The usual suspects have decided that Lincoln is not to be given credit for freeing the slaves. Remember, statues of Lincoln were toppled last summer by the mob. He is regarded by the mob as not much different than Simon Legree.
The mob has decided that all white national heroes have to be maligned. So down goes Lincoln, Grant, etal or any other highly regarded white figures in American history.
The current bullsh*t line being propagated by the mob is that blacks freed themselves.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Lincoln's primary aim was to save the Union. He made the oft-quoted statement about freeing only some slaves, or freeing all of them, or keeping them all slaves, the most important thing for him was to preserve the Union. He was under pressure by abolitionists (Lincoln was not formally one of them) to free the slaves and made the subsequent remark about what was the most important thing for him.
The EP was basically at the time a war move designed to cause the rebellious Southern states problems. He exempted Southern border states that were still loyal to the Union from the proclamation.
 Lincoln, to be sure, was anti-slavery, but before secession and war he could not find anything in the constitution that would allow him to unilaterally ban slavery. The war, of course, provided him the opportunity as part of his presidential war powers.
Incidentally, I'm currently reading Shelby Foote's huge three volume history of the CW. Foote is a fascinating writer and provides many details about the war I didn't read about in any of the other books I've read about the war.

Well-stated @goatprairie.  Although the now-official version of history is that the war was fought to free the slaves, in fact abolition was a mere tactic, a means to an end, rather than an end in itself.  The details of the EP - where emancipation was declared and where it was not - actually demonstrate this.

As late as the Hampton Roads Conference in February 1865, Lincoln was willing to negotiate with Confederate representatives about slavery, but not about union.

None of which detracts from the moral and political significance of slavery being ended in the United States.
James 1:20

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Well of course. That would make much more sense.
Average Americans are moronic idiots, so the Communists can make the fictitious Juneteenth to be anything they want it to be.
It is very much like Kwanza. A holiday with no defined history and no defined meaning.

Whereas Emancipation Day would have a very specific historical definition, Juneteenth is a blank slate that the Liberals can define any way they choose.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline dfwgator

Well-stated @goatprairie.  Although the now-official version of history is that the war was fought to free the slaves, in fact abolition was a mere tactic, a means to an end, rather than an end in itself.  The details of the EP - where emancipation was declared and where it was not - actually demonstrate this.

Just as the Left now has redefined WWII as being all about fighting Fascism.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
A useless "holiday" that really serves to be one more step by blacks of driving meek whites into dhimmitude.

Next thing you know, they'll be taking "Christmas Day" off the calendars, to be replaced by kwanza...