State Chapters > Texas

We've Been Telling the Alamo Story Wrong for Nearly 200 Years. Now It's Time to Correct the Record

<< < (5/5)

LegalAmerican:
Only LEFTS....want to go back in history.   200 years ago?  DIFFERENT TIME and mores.  Now, they want to use 2021 as some  standard,  to test those behaviors 200 years ago.  Bogus. Women also did not vote till 1920.  Women could not be in any male profession...women were used as chattel.  Going back in time, has ZERO VALUE.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: LegalAmerican on June 18, 2021, 09:16:35 pm ---Only LEFTS....want to go back in history.   200 years ago?  DIFFERENT TIME and mores.  Now, they want to use 2021 as some  standard,  to test those behaviors 200 years ago.  Bogus. Women also did not vote till 1920.  Women could not be in any male profession...women were used as chattel.  Going back in time, has ZERO VALUE.

--- End quote ---

@LegalAmerican

Depends on if you are talking about government actions or just customs. Customs change with the times,but our Constitution and Bill of Rights are supposed to be carved in stone.

AARguy:
No matter the details, Texas was founded by a bunch of folks (no matter where they were from) that wanted to establish homes, families and careers in an environment of freedom. They fought who they needed to and got it done. (Same thing happened in MA, VA, etc too.)

I lived all over the country and the world in the US Army and retired in Texas. My neighbor's ancestors were originally from Spain but his family has been here for hundreds of years. They are Americans... and not "dash-Americans". They don't speak Spanish. My family came from Europe but I don't speak Gaelic. I was born in the Bronx, making me a NATIVE AMERICAN. (You are a NATIVE of the place you are born.)

Elderberry:
Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says he pushed Texas museum to cancel 'Forget the Alamo' book event

Houston Chronicle by Taylor Goldenstein, Jeremy Blackman, Austin Bureau 7/2/2021

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/lt-gov-dan-patrick-forget-the-alamo-book-event-16290288.php

--- Quote ---Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Friday acknowledged putting pressure on the state’s history museum to shut down a virtual discussion of “Forget the Alamo,” a book that reexamines the history of the Texas landmark.

“As a member of the Preservation Board, I told staff to cancel this event as soon as I found out about it,” the Republican and former conservative radio talk show host wrote on Twitter. “Like efforts to move the Cenotaph, which I also stopped, this fact-free rewriting of TX history has no place @BullockMuseum.”

Patrick has called efforts to push the board to relocate the Alamo Cenotaph, a monument to the Alamo defenders killed by the Mexican army in 1836, the product of “cancel culture” as recently as January.
--- End quote ---

AARguy:
I've lived in Iraq, Pakistan, Kuwait and other places where freedom remains elusive. Those experiences made me appreciate the fact that I am an American. I have lived in California, New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Those experiences made me appreciate that I now live in Texas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version