State Chapters > Texas

We've Been Telling the Alamo Story Wrong for Nearly 200 Years. Now It's Time to Correct the Record

<< < (3/5) > >>

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: GrouchoTex on June 17, 2021, 07:25:28 pm ---True, they couldn't get enough people from Mexico to immigrate to Texas in the numbers they wanted, so they asked Americans to.

--- End quote ---

@GrouchoTex

MY memory tells me that many of the white immigrants were from places like Germany and Poland. They weren't really Americans until Texas became a US state.

skeeter:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on June 18, 2021, 12:24:47 am ---@GrouchoTex
MY memory tells me that many of the white immigrants were from places like Germany and Poland. They weren't really Americans until Texas became a US state.

--- End quote ---
I get what you're saying about them being Americans. But for info's sake there are lists of the Alamo defenders and their places of origin. There were 6 or 8 from Scotland, Ireland and England, maybe a couple from Germany and/or Poland. And a half dozen amerindian/mestizos. But from what I've seen most were born in what was then the US.

Interestingly there were a few European officers among Santa Ana's army.

corbe:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on June 18, 2021, 12:24:47 am ---@GrouchoTex

--- End quote ---

So, we stole it from the Spaniards/Catholicism who stole it from the (Feather) Indians who stole it from the JP Morgans who stole it from the Kardasians.

We need to give this $hit back.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: skeeter on June 18, 2021, 12:32:55 am ---

--- Quote ---I get what you're saying about them being Americans. But for info's sake there are lists of the Alamo defenders and their places of origin. There were 6 or 8 from Scotland, Ireland and England, maybe a couple from Germany and/or Poland. And a half dozen amerindian/mestizos. But from what I've seen most were born in what was then the US.
--- End quote ---

@skeeter

I stand corrected. Seems like I have always known about,and didn't think it was very remarkable,that there were " amerindian/mestizos/Mexicans there fighting for independence from Mexico. I have always thought it was funny that some people get mad when you mention this.

--- Quote ---Interestingly there were a few European officers among Santa Ana's army.
--- End quote ---

OK,that was news to me also,even though it shouldn't have been. Back in those days it was pretty common for experienced officers from countries not at war to rent themselves out to anyone wanting to hire them.

--- End quote ---

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: corbe on June 18, 2021, 01:15:28 am --- 

So, we stole it from the Spaniards/Catholicism who stole it from the (Feather) Indians who stole it from the JP Morgans who stole it from the Kardasians.

We need to give this $hit back.

--- End quote ---

@corbe

Bleep them! If they want it,let them pick up their rifles and come to try and take it back.

AND....,IF it "belonged" to anyone at that time,it was wandering bands of people we misnamed "Indians",not Mexicans or anyone else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version