Author Topic: Look to the 1980s to Inform the Fleet of Today  (Read 165 times)

rangerrebew

Look to the 1980s to Inform the Fleet of Today
« on: June 17, 2021, 11:37:30 am »

Look to the 1980s to Inform the Fleet of Today
Rep. Elaine Luria
June 14, 2021

When I was a naval officer, my ships always had a plan when we left port for where we were going, how we would get there, and what we would do when we arrived. While that remains true of individual ships in the Navy, it’s not true of the Navy as a whole today. The Navy lacks a comprehensive maritime strategy that defines what the Navy needs to do, how it needs to do it, the resources required, and how to manage risk if those resources aren’t available. The Navy had a strategy that did these things in the past. The maritime strategy of the 1980s articulated a clear vision for the Navy’s purpose and how Navy leaders planned to achieve it. The nation would be well-served by the Navy’s developing such a strategy again.

I entered the U.S. Naval Academy in 1993 and was part of a new generation of officers who assumed the watch after the fall of the Soviet Union. We were the beneficiaries of a nation that had a clear and defensible maritime strategy, an administration that provided the vision, a Congress that funded it, and a Navy that executed it. Throughout my career, I deployed on both the Navy’s oldest and newest ships, but they were all designed for the Cold War against the Soviet Union.

https://warontherocks.com/2021/06/look-to-the-1980s-to-inform-the-fleet-of-today/