Author Topic: Manchin opens door to supporting scaled-down election reform bill  (Read 234 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Manchin opens door to supporting scaled-down election reform bill
By Alexander Bolton - 06/16/21 01:48 PM EDT

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) has given Democrats hope he could vote for a scaled-down version of S. 1, a sweeping election reform bill that Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) plans to bring to the floor next week.

Manchin said Wednesday that he has shared a list of demands with Schumer ahead of a Senate Democratic caucus meeting planned for Wednesday on how to build Democratic unity behind the legislation.

Manchin has previously said that he would vote against the For the People Act, also known as S. 1, because it is overly broad and doesn’t have any Republican support.

Schumer "has everything and everybody else has it,” Manchin said of his demands for changing the election reform bill.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/558765-manchin-opens-door-to-supporting-scaled-down-election-reform-bill
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: Manchin opens door to supporting scaled-down election reform bill
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:00:06 pm »
Here we go. Manchin will sell the nation out for goodies for his district.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 08:02:47 pm »
Here we go. Manchin will sell the nation out for goodies for his district.

Yep..can't trust a thing Manchin says
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 08:03:36 pm »
Manchin rebuffs progressive push for infrastructure guarantee

en. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) on Wednesday said he will not guarantee he'll support a fast-track process for a sweeping infrastructure package, rejecting a key demand by progressive senators who want such a pledge in order to support a smaller bipartisan deal. 

Manchin stressed he hasn't decided whether he'll support reconciliation, a process that will let Democrats bypass the 60-vote filibuster, for a massive infrastructure package. But rejected the notion of horse-trading his vote in advance.

"I would never ask any of my colleagues for an iron-clad commitment ... and I expect the same from them," Manchin said, asked about the push from his progressive colleagues for an iron-clad guarantee.

Pressed if he was saying he couldn't commit to supporting reconciliation in exchange for votes on the smaller bipartisan package, Manchin added: "No, I don't think that's fair." 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/558758-manchin-rebuffs-progressive-push-for-infrastructure-guarantee
Support the USO

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 08:05:11 pm »
Yup.

The "sweeping reform" needed is a simple voter id requirement on all federal elections.

Sure looks like Manchin is angling for some pork rinds.  I do hope those clowns in West Virginia are happy they didn't send an American to the Senate in 2018 like they had the chance to do.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.