Author Topic: 'Fentanyl has changed the whole landscape': San Francisco faces worst drug epidemic ever  (Read 1451 times)

Offline thackney

I know the article is written about the impact in San Franscisco, but it is a nationwide problem and not unique to San Fran.

'Fentanyl has changed the whole landscape': San Francisco faces worst drug epidemic ever
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/fentanyl-San-Francisco-overdose-drug-epidemic-16237333.php

... Dr. Christopher Colwell, the chief of emergency medicine at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, has recently seen in the emergency room for medical issues related to fentanyl use and overdoses.

"That's just in the last couple weeks," Colwell said. "It’s really remarkable because it runs the entire spectrum. This affects all walks of life, all folks. It’s hard to overstate how impactful it can be to anyone. It doesn’t seem to care about race or background or gender — or anything."

Colwell said on average about 10 to 15 people who've taken fentanyl are treated in the San Francisco General emergency room a day, sometimes more. And that's at just one hospital in the city...

...Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opioid that's 50 to 100 times more powerful than morphine. Like all opioids, it's a respiratory depressant and can impact the user's ability to breathe....

...Fentanyl wasn't a problem for San Francisco a decade ago, but since about 2018, illegally produced fentanyl has flooded the recreational drug market, intensified the peril of addiction and amplified overdoses. Colwell said the majority of people who land in the ER have ingested it unintentionally, either using a drug that they didn't realize was laced with fentanyl, or that they thought was something else entirely but was actually fentanyl....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mountaineer

the majority of people who land in the ER have ingested it unintentionally, either using a drug that they didn't realize was laced with fentanyl
Not being a drug dealer, I don't quite understand this. If you tell a buyer you're selling him "X," but it's really "X + Y," why give him more - the "Y" - than he paid for? How does that affect the bottom line?

And why do people on the TV news mispronounce Fentanyl as Fentanol?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Hmmmm....someone, I can't recall WHO, was in favor of closing the border to stop the influx of fentanyl and wetbacks to protect the American people.

Then the election was stolen and San Fransissyco cheered.   

I hope they all die, if not from fentanyl, then from typhus spread by the shit on their streets.   A people more deserving to die of a excrement-borne illness does not exist on Earth.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

Not being a drug dealer, I don't quite understand this. If you tell a buyer you're selling him "X," but it's really "X + Y," why give him more - the "Y" - than he paid for? How does that affect the bottom line?

As to the last, the simplest explanation is that reporters are almost as stupid as teachers....that might be backwards, though.  The margins are quite narrow at the left end of the bell curve.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline thackney

I think because Fentanyl is so cheap, they can sell someone "heroin" that has been cut so much they would not get much "high" from it, but add a little Fentanyl to the mix and they believe they got the "good heroin".  Also easier addiction to get them coming back for more.

https://www.abqjournal.com/2395234/fentanyl-overdoses-on-the-rise-in-nm-ex-deadly-opioid-is-often-mixed-with-heroin-or-cocaine.html
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mountaineer

Ah, that's a reasonable explanation. Thanks, thackney.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Shall I say it? China China China!

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
A friend who battled addiction referred to Fentanyl as "an incredible way to die"
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Ah, that's a reasonable explanation. Thanks, thackney.
Add in sloppy chemistry/mixing, and people die thinking they are taking something else, but getting a lethal dose of fentanyl for their troubles.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

Add in sloppy chemistry/mixing, and people die thinking they are taking something else, but getting a lethal dose of fentanyl for their troubles.
I was visiting with some of the rig hands a few years back and they were explaining to me how they created their own meth and how wonderful it was and how it made you feel.  Of course they had quit using it years before this.  Another guy I talked to was telling me about cocaine and since he had quit, he thought about the drug every second of every day.  I can't even imagine....

I thank God I never was tempted to try any...

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round
With tombstones in their eyes
But the pusher don't care
Ah, if you live or if you die....
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sled Dog

You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round
With tombstones in their eyes
But the pusher don't care
Ah, if you live or if you die....

Steppenwolf?

Offline Victoria33

@thackney

Article said: "'Fentanyl has changed the whole landscape'"

Fentanyl has come up on this forum before and I said something like this:
Husband had ankylosing spondylitis, spine was collapsing, in constant pain.
Pain doc put him on Fentanyl patches, lower amount the first time in order to determine the amount of Fentanyl that would stop the pain. 

Doc gave me orders this first time he wrote a prescription for patches.  Said for me never to touch the inside of the box, never touch the plastic covering the patch was in, never touch a patch taken off to throw away.  He said the fentanyl would go into my skin if I touched any of these things.  Also, after higher mg patches were prescribed several times, doc said if he or I put that patch on, we would fall on the floor and not be able to get up.  Husband dealt with the patches and I never touched anything connected to them.

Husband make a joke one day to pain doctor and doctor almost had heart attack.  Husband said something like, "Bet I could get a good price for these patches on the street."  Doc was, "NO, NO!"  Husband said, "Only joking".

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Hmmmm....someone, I can't recall WHO, was in favor of closing the border to stop the influx of fentanyl and wetbacks to protect the American people.

Then the election was stolen and San Fransissyco cheered.   

I hope they all die, if not from fentanyl, then from typhus spread by the shit on their streets.   A people more deserving to die of a excrement-borne illness does not exist on Earth.

@Sled Dog

The thing that really surprises me is how anything related to a drug problem possibly get worse in San Francisco,never mind "worse enough" to draw national attention?

SF has been a haven for junkies and other addicts for decades,and the city hasn't done anything other than trying to appease them and give them all the help they need.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
A friend who battled addiction referred to Fentanyl as "an incredible way to die"

@Restored

"Incredible good" or "incredible bad"?

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I was visiting with some of the rig hands a few years back and they were explaining to me how they created their own meth and how wonderful it was and how it made you feel.  Of course they had quit using it years before this.  Another guy I talked to was telling me about cocaine and since he had quit, he thought about the drug every second of every day.  I can't even imagine....

I thank God I never was tempted to try any...

@mrpotatohead

Back in the days when I was doing a lot of drugs,it got to the point where I would just refuse any cocaine offered to me because it did nothing for me at all. Had a friend I knew for a couple of years before I found out he dealt coke by the kilo only,and he came by to party one night and convince me that coke was the way to go. So we tooted up some of his high grade "bragging bush coke",and when we were through,I suggest we go find some MDA and so some serious partying. I didn't even get a buzz,and his eyes looked like pie plates.

BTW,after several years of VERY hard partying,I decided the time had came to give up drinking and drugs when I somehow suddenly became completely alert and discovered I had been shooting my P-38 out in the back yard and it had quit firing,so I was looking down the barrel to see what was wrong. It had quit firing because it was out of bullets and the slide was locked back.

So I looked around and discovered I was at my parents house,and that I owned an Impala stationwagon instead of my pu. Both were news to me. Come to find out I had lost maybe a whole year,maybe a little more. I wasn't even sure what month or year it was.

The last thing I remembered clearly was a chain of events that started with picking up a guy hitch-hiking from the nearest city to the area where I lived,and handing him a joint I was smoking when he got into the truck. We toked for a bit,and he asked me,"Wanna buy some acid?",so I said "I don't know. Is it any good and how much per hit?" He said "I'm not sure  how good it is,but if you watch me for a little bit we will both find out because I took a 4 way hit a little while ago."

So I stopped at the nearest friends house,and we went inside and smoked some more pot. I ended up buying 500 hits from him and running into the rear of a friends new truck when I went to his house to share the good news with him later that afternoon. For some reason I forgot to hit the brakes. He was all pissed off until I gave him a couple hits of the acid,1 to take then and the others for later,and he smoothed right out in a little bit. 

The absolute last thing I remember is a guy I knew from out of state showing up with a Buick Electra 225 trunk full of gallon milk jugs of moonshine from his family still. Seems like I traded him a forgotten number of the LSD for a forgotten number of gallons of moonshine.

Things started getting a bit foggy after that. I ain't saying I got a bit obnoxious,but it got to the point where my  best friends were starting to throw parties and making it a point to tell everybody to not tell me about the party.

I don't play well with strangers running their mouths at me or threatening me,and it seems I may have hurt a few people who didn't know me at some of these parties who were under the illusion they could screw with me without consequences. I truthfully don't consider these events my fault even to this day because I don't and never have started any fights. I still believe to this very day that if you walk up to a stranger and start making fun of them or running your mouth at them,you bought that ticket and need to take that ride without bitching about it. Still,I do understand why people got upset. Parties are for having fun,not getting hurt and bleeding. Or being forced to strip and give all your money away to anybody that wanted it because that was the "fine" I imposed on you if you wanted to keep living. For some reason I don't understand,that seemed to be my favorite punishment for offenders.

IIRC,this was in 1983,and I haven't even smoked a joint since then,never mind drank any alcohol or taken any chemical drugs. Nor have I really wanted to.

I owe it all to the power of being lucky enough to have not inherited any of the addiction genes. Didn't have a single damn thing to do with willpower.

The one exception is gambling. I can NOT gamble. Not at all. Once is too often. I discovered this the very first time I gambled. I also discovered I was bad loser,and an even worse winner.  "One time and OUT!"

Ok,I just remembered this. I HAVE drank a few beers since then. All were after cutting grass out in the sun in the summertime,and I came in the house when done and drank a beer or two to hydrate and cool down. No more than two,and I don't think I even did this more than 2 or 3 times.

I still keep beer and whiskey in my refrigerator in case a friend stops by and wants a drink,but it's not for me.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:29:10 am by sneakypete »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
@Restored

"Incredible good" or "incredible bad"?

He put it as "You want to die and then get high again so you can do it again". A friend from college lost her daughter to it. It was mixed into the heroin.
Countdown to Resignation

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
He put it as "You want to die and then get high again so you can do it again". A friend from college lost her daughter to it. It was mixed into the heroin.

@Restored

I have a great deal of sympathy for your friend and his loss,but EVERYBODY knows if you take stupid risks,sooner or later you get stupid rewards. The most unfortunate part of this is the people who end up doing all the suffering were not the ones taking the risks.

Offline Sled Dog

@Sled Dog

The thing that really surprises me is how anything related to a drug problem possibly get worse in San Francisco,never mind "worse enough" to draw national attention?

SF has been a haven for junkies and other addicts for decades,and the city hasn't done anything other than trying to appease them and give them all the help they need.

San Fransissyco has always been a magnet for the strange and damaged.    So nobody is surprised.

Actually, everybody expects the larger cities to have larger problems.  And since the biggest cities are all run by Rodents and the "solutions" the Rodents present serve merely to funnel tax money into Rodent pockets, the Rodent media isn't going to make an issue of any of this.

Went on a sightseeing trip to Seattle a few years back.  We parked in some lot, went somewhere and came back later.  Damned if there wasn't a homeless couple crouched down in front of the car doing some kind of drug.   I said "Oh, hi.   We'll be taking this car now.  Have a nice day."  They just looked at us.

And you don't see in the major news media how Seattle is dying, either.

So long as they vote the right way, nothing is said about them.

Offline Sled Dog

But, as a start to reducing the drug problem, start by executing people who sell drugs, including alcohol, to minors.

No shades of gray, no plea bargains.   Take them to trial and execute them when convicted.

If a minor is caught selling to minors, he doesn't get executed if he testifies against his supplier.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis