Author Topic: Storing Energy  (Read 2268 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Storing Energy
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2021, 08:30:31 pm »
We have only been consuming oil and the like in recent years, compared to the process producing oil that would be 500 million to 5 billion years old.  For the production process to match our current consumption rate seems impossible.  If it did, we would be drowning in it.
So what if it is being used faster than being manufactured?

If hydrocarbons lasts hundreds of years even at accelerated rates of consumption, why worry about it at all?

There is a point when we need to remember nothing is infinite, but it may be long enough and, for all intents and purposes, limitless for us and progeny.

In the case of hydrocarbons, we have barely scratched the surface as maybe only 20% of what has been discovered to date has been produced during the past 100+ years for crude, and a much smaller fraction for natural gas, coal is known to exist just about everywhere on earth, and you already mentioned the methane hydrates.  We have plenty of hydrocarbons to sustain us.

There are plenty of other things to concern ourselves with other than the climate changing or hydrocarbons running out or the sun being extinguished.

Me, I get more concerned with a developing bald spot on the noggin than any of these.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:41:10 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

BassWrangler

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2021, 03:43:07 am »
So what if it is being used faster than being manufactured?

If hydrocarbons lasts hundreds of years even at accelerated rates of consumption, why worry about it at all?

There is a point when we need to remember nothing is infinite, but it may be long enough and, for all intents and purposes, limitless for us and progeny.

In the case of hydrocarbons, we have barely scratched the surface as maybe only 20% of what has been discovered to date has been produced during the past 100+ years for crude, and a much smaller fraction for natural gas, coal is known to exist just about everywhere on earth, and you already mentioned the methane hydrates.  We have plenty of hydrocarbons to sustain us.

There are plenty of other things to concern ourselves with other than the climate changing or hydrocarbons running out or the sun being extinguished.

Me, I get more concerned with a developing bald spot on the noggin than any of these.

The Ant and the Grasshopper

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2021, 07:54:04 pm »
The Ant and the Grasshopper
I like to squish the ants that build windmills and solar farms if they use my money.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington