General Category > Energy

Storing Energy

(1/6) > >>

Elderberry:
Watts Up With That?  by Willis Eschenbach 6/15/2021

I’ve been reading some folks’ claims about how batteries are the key to a bright green renewable future. Of course, we wouldn’t need batteries if we didn’t try to depend on unreliable, intermittent sources like solar and wind, but let’s set that question aside for the moment.

A number of ways of storing energy exist that allow us to generate electricity as needed. Batteries, pumped water storage, compressed air, electro-mechanical flywheel systems, electro-chemical “flow batteries”, all are in use in various locations. And there are “intermittent flow” systems, which although they are not storage, allow for greater generation at certain times … including Niagara Falls, where the flow over the falls is reduced at night so more power can be generated when it’s not masquerading as a tourist attraction. Not storage … but pretty cool nonetheless …

Setting Niagara aside, I thought I’d look at how much energy storage exists in the world. Here’s a list of all of the world’s energy storage systems, by type.

More: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/06/15/storing-energy/

BassWrangler:

--- Quote from: Elderberry on June 15, 2021, 11:01:04 pm ---Watts Up With That?  by Willis Eschenbach 6/15/2021

I’ve been reading some folks’ claims about how batteries are the key to a bright green renewable future. Of course, we wouldn’t need batteries if we didn’t try to depend on unreliable, intermittent sources like solar and wind, but let’s set that question aside for the moment.

A number of ways of storing energy exist that allow us to generate electricity as needed. Batteries, pumped water storage, compressed air, electro-mechanical flywheel systems, electro-chemical “flow batteries”, all are in use in various locations. And there are “intermittent flow” systems, which although they are not storage, allow for greater generation at certain times … including Niagara Falls, where the flow over the falls is reduced at night so more power can be generated when it’s not masquerading as a tourist attraction. Not storage … but pretty cool nonetheless …

Setting Niagara aside, I thought I’d look at how much energy storage exists in the world. Here’s a list of all of the world’s energy storage systems, by type.

More: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/06/15/storing-energy/

--- End quote ---

I don't know anyone who thinks batteries are a viable source for bulk energy storage. They are the best option right now for electric cars, but as energy storage devices, they suck. And the gains in battery tech have been very incremental for many years - no big revolution there. They are a viable solution for evening out the day/night storage needs from solar.

For bulk storage, the alternatives I've heard proposed are pumped hydro and molten salt. I know molten salt is a big part of this new nuclear reactor that Bill Gates is partially funding.

BTW, the greenies don't like hydro-electric. I guess they want us all to live in caves.

Joe Wooten:

--- Quote from: BassWrangler on June 15, 2021, 11:09:07 pm ---
BTW, the greenies don't like hydro-electric. I guess they want us all to live in caves.

--- End quote ---

No, tehy do not want us alive at all. Too many people are harder to keep in control, so tehy will be happy to see 95% of all alive now die.

BassWrangler:

--- Quote from: Joe Wooten on June 16, 2021, 01:24:31 am ---No, tehy do not want us alive at all. Too many people are harder to keep in control, so tehy will be happy to see 95% of all alive now die.

--- End quote ---

Yep, they've been talking about over-population since Ehrlich's book, "The Population Bomb", in 1968.

thackney:

--- Quote from: BassWrangler on June 15, 2021, 11:09:07 pm ---I don't know anyone who thinks batteries are a viable source for bulk energy storage. They are the best option right now for electric cars, but as energy storage devices, they suck. And the gains in battery tech have been very incremental for many years - no big revolution there. They are a viable solution for evening out the day/night storage needs from solar.

For bulk storage, the alternatives I've heard proposed are pumped hydro and molten salt. I know molten salt is a big part of this new nuclear reactor that Bill Gates is partially funding.

--- End quote ---

Pumped hydro has been used for decades.  First one in the US was 1929.
https://www.energy.gov/eere/water/history-hydropower

Grid Sized Utility Batteries are definitely a growing market and not just tied to unreliable power sources like Wind and Solar.  They are being installed as stand alone units to take the place of peaker Gas Plants that only run a few hours a day.

Battery Storage in the United States: An Update on Market Trends
https://www.eia.gov/analysis/studies/electricity/batterystorage/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version