Author Topic: How unprecedented was the February 2021 Texas cold snap?  (Read 1342 times)

rangerrebew

How unprecedented was the February 2021 Texas cold snap?
« on: June 15, 2021, 08:24:52 pm »

How unprecedented was the February 2021 Texas cold snap?

James Doss-Gollin6,1
, David J Farnham2, Upmanu Lall3,4 and Vijay Modi5

Published 8 June 2021 • © 2021 The Author(s). Published by IOP Publishing Ltd

Winter storm Uri brought severe cold to the southern United States in February 2021, causing a cascading failure of interdependent systems in Texas where infrastructure was not adequately prepared for such cold. In particular, the failure of interconnected energy systems restricted electricity supply just as demand for heating spiked, leaving millions of Texans without heat or electricity, many for several days. This motivates the question: did historical storms suggest that such temperatures were known to occur, and if so with what frequency? We compute a temperature-based proxy for heating demand and use this metric to answer the question 'what would the aggregate demand for heating have been had historic cold snaps occurred with today's population?'. We find that local temperatures and the inferred demand for heating per capita across the region served by the Texas Interconnection were more severe during a storm in December 1989 than during February 2021, and that cold snaps in 1951 and 1983 were nearly as severe. Given anticipated population growth, future storms may lead to even greater infrastructure failures if adaptive investments are not made. Further, electricity system managers should prepare for trends in electrification of heating to drive peak annual loads on the Texas Interconnection during severe winter storms.

Original content from this work may be used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license. Any further distribution of this work must maintain attribution to the author(s) and the title of the work, journal citation and DOI.
Supplementary data
1. Introduction

Between February 14th and 17th, 2021, a northern air mass blanketed much of the continental United States, causing anomalously low surface temperatures across the Great Plains. The state of Texas was particularly hard hit, with coincident and cascading failures of natural gas production, power generation, transportation, and water systems leaving millions of Texans without electricity, heat, and water, many for several days [1–3]. These failures disproportionately affected vulnerable populations [4], left at least 111 Texans dead [5], and brought the Texas electricity grid within minutes of collapse [6].

Since production and distribution of electricity is possible under conditions far colder than any Texas experienced in February 2021, energy system failures reflect inadequate preparedness for cold. These failures occurred both because electricity demand exceeded projections, and because electricity supply failed to meet them. On the demand side, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), which operates the Texas Interconnection bulk electric power system (hence 'Texas Interconnection'), estimated that the peak demand would have been 76 819 MW without load shedding [6]. This surpassed ERCOT's 'extreme winter forecast' of 67 208 MW in its seasonal assessment of resource adequacy [7]. On the supply side, the Texas Interconnection experienced over 30 000 MW of lost output for two consecutive days due to outages and derates caused by cold temperatures [8]. A large fraction of this supply shortfall, which exceeded ERCOT's worst-case scenario for forced outages, originated in the natural gas supply chain [1, 3, 8].

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac0278

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: How unprecedented was the February 2021 Texas cold snap?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 08:34:42 pm »
The main difference between the 1989 and 2021 storms is the fact that in 1989 the utilities were run by engineers who planned for the worst case. Most of the generation was still gas fired steam plants and almost every plant had enough fuel oil storage to operate for at least a week when gas was curtailed. The only nuke operating was South Texas and it was also ready for cold weather with operational heat tracing on all vulnerable equipment as were the lignite coal plants. We sailed through the problem easily in 1989.

Now the money boys run things and they refuse to plan for anything more than 1 year ahead. The gas fired generation is almost all combined cycle with very little fuel oil for emergencies, if any. Maintenance if deferred whenever it can be, so heat tracing, if installed that can go for years before being needed, slips through the maintenance cracks. Wind power's unreliability makes the problem worse.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 08:49:42 pm »
The main difference between the 1989 and 2021 storms is the fact that in 1989 the utilities were run by engineers who planned for the worst case. Most of the generation was still gas fired steam plants and almost every plant had enough fuel oil storage to operate for at least a week when gas was curtailed. The only nuke operating was South Texas and it was also ready for cold weather with operational heat tracing on all vulnerable equipment as were the lignite coal plants. We sailed through the problem easily in 1989.

Now the money boys run things and they refuse to plan for anything more than 1 year ahead. The gas fired generation is almost all combined cycle with very little fuel oil for emergencies, if any. Maintenance if deferred whenever it can be, so heat tracing, if installed that can go for years before being needed, slips through the maintenance cracks. Wind power's unreliability makes the problem worse.

Just one more example of why I'm glad to be retired.  Throughout my career, the ONLY people I ever had real run ins with were those money men you mention.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 12:57:58 am »
Yup.   We stopped working on a Brave Little Toaster series of microsats because we simply couldn't apply the necessary rigor we applied to bigger spacecraft to these tiny million-dollar-or-less microsats.    It was definitely a money decision, but as an engineer, I wanted no part of a program that didn't include sufficient rigor to ensure vehicle performance.  I don't build cars or anything else mass-produced.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 11:49:02 am »
Most of the generation was still gas fired steam plants and almost every plant had enough fuel oil storage to operate for at least a week when gas was curtailed.

Joe, are you sure about that part with fuel oil storage?  I was working for Houston Looting & Plunder (Lighting and Power) back then and I do not believe we had that.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 03:43:46 pm »
Joe, are you sure about that part with fuel oil storage?  I was working for Houston Looting & Plunder (Lighting and Power) back then and I do not believe we had that.

I started at the Texas Electric Morgan Creek plant in Colorado City TX back in 1979. If I remember correctly, we had almost a million bbls of fuel oil stored there with a rail spur access to the tank farm. The other West Texas plant out east of Odessa had almost as much too. I'm pretty sure the Graham plant also had over 500000 bbls of storage. I think the Decordova plant near Granbury also had an extensive tank farm. During the 1989 cold snap, my friends still at Morgan Creek told me the company started trains coming in with oil the day they started burning it even though the PUC did not want them doing that.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 03:46:06 pm »
I started at the Texas Electric Morgan Creek plant in Colorado City TX back in 1979. If I remember correctly, we had almost a million bbls of fuel oil stored there with a rail spur access to the tank farm. The other West Texas plant out east of Odessa had almost as much too. I'm pretty sure the Graham plant also had over 500000 bbls of storage. I think the Decordova plant near Granbury also had an extensive tank farm. During the 1989 cold snap, my friends still at Morgan Creek told me the company started trains coming in with oil the day they started burning it even though the PUC did not want them doing that.

Thank you.  I am fairly certain today that is not the case, given the reports from our Texas Deep Freeze in February.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 03:52:56 pm »
Thank you.  I am fairly certain today that is not the case, given the reports from our Texas Deep Freeze in February.

I just peeked at an airial photo of the current Morgan Creek station and saw that two of the fuel oil tanks are still there and you can see the outlines where two more use to stand.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 04:00:12 pm »
I just peeked at an airial photo of the current Morgan Creek station and saw that two of the fuel oil tanks are still there and you can see the outlines where two more use to stand.

I am referring to the widespread reports of Nat Gas Power Plants going down on loss of Natural Gas Supply.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 04:08:09 pm »

@Joe Wooten

I suspect this may have gone away with the deregulation of Texas Electricity.  Back then when I was at HL&P, we had a protected monopoly and a guaranteed return on investment.  If we spent money on something we basically always made a return, regardless of it being used or not.

Today's deregulated system requires you to make your own decisions and risks on investment versus return.  Expensive systems that rarely get used are going to be hard on the bottom line today.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 01:36:41 am »
@Joe Wooten

I suspect this may have gone away with the deregulation of Texas Electricity.  Back then when I was at HL&P, we had a protected monopoly and a guaranteed return on investment.  If we spent money on something we basically always made a return, regardless of it being used or not.

Today's deregulated system requires you to make your own decisions and risks on investment versus return.  Expensive systems that rarely get used are going to be hard on the bottom line today.

Agreed! Another point for the regulated, vertically integrated local monopoly utilities.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 11:53:17 am »
Agreed! Another point for the regulated, vertically integrated local monopoly utilities.

I believe that the Ercot market driven system would work effectively, with some modification that include minimum requirements like weatherization, a separate pricing structure for dispatchable power sources, and a capacity market.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 03:03:01 am »

Thanks for sharing.  Nice to have members here who bring actual history to the forefront rather than simply wannabe history.

If we do not learn from our mistakes, we are bound to repeat them.

What you describe seems a sound reliability power supply to grid that included backup generation.

I bet none of the Ercot board were even familiar with what you relayed.

Brings to mind it should be emphasizing consultation with experienced power generation professionals as a way to ensure it has the best approaches to undertake its primary mission - Reliability of supply.

I told my state senator exactly that in a lengthy conversation immediately after the cold snap.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 03:06:04 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington