Author Topic: Four Ways I Am Preparing For The Dollar’s Collapse  (Read 1310 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Four Ways I Am Preparing For The Dollar’s Collapse
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 12:41:27 pm »
3. Crank flashlights.  As far as I am concerned, they are the best.  They don't depend on batteries.  Candles are fine for night lighting.  Need lots of those.

Interesting... Because I had an educational experience this last winter too... Mine was a short term loss of power.
I am rigged for long term loss without a problem - I have a jenny and I have oil lamps... My trouble was that the outage was predicted to be of short duration - three days at most - But still, wintertime loss of power is a serious thing. At the time, late afternoon, with sunset coming soon, I determined to wait it out and worry about it in the morning, rather than rummaging around in the shed to haul everything out in the dark.

My dilemma became apparent later that evening. In being overly prepared for the long term I was woefully unprepared for the short term. I mean I was alright - At any given moment I could cure my ills by taking the time to go haul out the jenny and string the cords, a half hour, maybe 45 minutes at best... But really, all that would gain me is light and internet (and thereby TV), and I never quite got the gumption. So I sorta suffered through with my headlamp out of my go-bag, candles, and a single LCD lantern...

I have since increased my available LCD lanterns as a comfort in short term outage.

But my point in regard to the longer term would be toward oil lamps... Five gallons of oil would last a winter, and it keeps pretty indefinitely.

Likewise propane. Propane heat, light, and cooking is not very useful in comparison to other methods, but propane also keeps pretty well indefinitely. Over this same incident I have endeavored to increase my commitment to propane.

4. Have a nice reserve of rice, coffee, vacuum packed and dehydrated foods. Try to find dehydrated alternatives to your usual diet so that you can maintain some sense of normalcy (I found this to be very important).

And this the other way around - Sure, for a long term storage solution, dehydrated foods are king. But a more equitable and effective form exists in keeping a well stocked pantry. At any given time, I can live off of my pantry, and that probably for a year or better, as it is right now.

I have a rather adequate supply of dehydrated foods, but I would not have to worry for them at all for at least a year... Because my larder stands at the ready as a massive bullwark as a matter of day to day use. It is not much of an effort once understood, and even shopping out of stores, it can be extremely cheap in comparison to shopping for a week at a time - Case goods, especially if you can lay in the weeds for sales, yield remarkable savings.

EVERYONE should have a stocked pantry as a matter of course.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2021, 12:44:21 pm »
I got a taste of what a collapse might look like last winter when the storms hit in Texas.  The electricity grid and water supply went down and there was no availability of retail energy or food.  I was living in my Hill Country cabin.  Here are some things I learned.

1. Get a wood stove and make sure you have enough firewood to get through the entire winter.
2. Have plenty of drinking water in reserve and make a plan to capture water for use in toilets and bathing.
3. Crank flashlights.  As far as I am concerned, they are the best.  They don't depend on batteries.  Candles are fine for night lighting.  Need lots of those.
4. Have a nice reserve of rice, coffee, vacuum packed and dehydrated foods. Try to find dehydrated alternatives to your usual diet so that you can maintain some sense of normalcy (I found this to be very important).
5. A really good safe that can hold your firearms, gold and important documents brings a lot of peace of mind.  Get one that opens with a dial, not an electric pad.  And don't keep everything in the safe.  Make sure you have a reserve of treasure buried.
6. Four-wheel drive vehicle and gasoline in reserve (make sure your reserve gas is high octane without ethanol).

As for money: Crypto might or might not be viable.  Remember that crypto depends on electricity, and can be tracked and confiscated by government.  It might be worthwhile to hold, but I would not sell my gold and silver to buy it.  Maybe open up a space in your portfolio for it, but no more than 10 percent.

If cryptocurrency collapses, gold will go to $10K plus per ounce because the people selling crypto will have to buy gold as the only viable replacement.

The best money in a collapse of the dollar will be pre-1964 coins.  One pre-1964 dime today is worth about $2.75.  If you have a few hundred dollars in rolls of pre-1964 coins that will be plenty to barter with and make change for higher value gold coins.  So in addition to gold coins and bars, have some rolls of wheat pennies and pre-1964 coins.

Guns: A shotgun and a revolver.  Keep it simple.  Don't buy a gimicky, designer or complex weapon for survival purposes.

@massadvj

I know some of you will have no idea what I am talking about,but get a hand pump and put down a shallow well.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624889_200624889

Do NOT forget that you will need a water container to prime the pump with every time you use it,and use a tin container with a spin-on top. Glass containers can get dropped and break,and then your pump is useless to you.

I have put down wellheads using a homemade tool made from a Model T ring and pinion gear and cut-off axles welded together. This is usually a 2 man operation,although a 3 person to hold the first pipe section at a 90 degree angle to the ground is helpful. Which is not a problem because if disaster strikes and people run out of bottled water,you are going to be VERY popular.

Guns: A shotgun and a revolver.  Keep it simple.  Don't buy a gimicky, designer or complex weapon for survival purposes.

I agree. In survival situations the NUMBER 1 principle you want to keep in mind is the "KISS Principle",which is "Keep it simple,stupid!" Life will be hard enough as it is without you adding to your problems.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:47:10 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 01:41:00 pm »
@sneakypete said, "I agree. In survival situations the NUMBER 1 principle you want to keep in mind is the "KISS Principle",which is "Keep it simple, stupid!" Life will be hard enough as it is without you adding to your problems."
@libertybele
@roamer_1

Men tend to think too big to solve a problem.  One does not need gallons of gasoline for a generator (which will run out), or old coins or gold.  Old coins and gold would be fine to have after the emergency, but not in an emergency.  One dollar bills and five dollar bills will be the easiest method of buying what you need but hopefully, in an emergency, you will have what you need.

I use battery power - huge number of rechargeable batteries in various types, AA,AAA,C,D.  Each of these fine batteries can be recharged 1,000+ times.  Have solar panel with attachment to recharge any size batteries plus your phone or computer pad.  I will have battery power for years if I need it.

Have solar lamps, oil lamps with enough oil for a year, battery lamps with the rechargeable batteries.  Will never run out of light.

Have water barrel in back of house to catch rainwater.  It is attached to the downspout but downspout is fixed to move.  It is not used when do not need water.  If I need water, I let the bad water from the roof go through the downspout and when I think enough has run off, I switch the downspout to fill the barrel.  I have a Big Berkey water purifier to put that water through so I have sanitized water.  I have kids plastic pools to sit outside to catch rainwater and put that through the Berkey.  The Big Berkey will sanitize any water.  Plain water filters will not do this.  Look up Big Berkey in search and find out why it is the very best and it is hundreds of dollars but you will live if you have this purifier. It is the most important item to have in an emergency.

I have Water Bobs to put in bathtubs to store 100 gal. of you own good water.  There are other ways to store good water and to sanitize other water with the Big Berkey;  just get my book as I cannot write the whole thing here.  That is why I wrote the book, to help people be ready for an emergency.

If you write me, I will send you the list of contents of the book then you can decide if you want it.  It is 284 pages, single spaced.  I wrote it for other people so they would not have to do the research I did and I tell of my experiences of living through no power events numerous times.  Types of emergencies are listed, telling you how to respond to these various emergencies. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 01:45:24 pm by Victoria33 »