Author Topic: Improve, Don’t Replace, Proven Chinook Capabilities  (Read 601 times)

rangerrebew

Improve, Don’t Replace, Proven Chinook Capabilities
« on: June 14, 2021, 04:21:37 pm »

Improve, Don’t Replace, Proven Chinook Capabilities
By Lewis Bainbridge
June 04, 2021

A commonsense lesson inherent to farmers is that if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it. That’s not to say we don’t upgrade tried-and-true equipment and practices as technology advances. Over the century my family has improved our land in Ethan, South Dakota, by utilizing emerging technology to improve the efficiency of everything from planting and harvesting to crop rotation and soil conservation. Adaptation is key to success, not just in farming but in every aspect of life – including national defense.

Farmers are natural stewards and we work tirelessly to sustainably raise our crops and livestock to optimize yield for its future potential. Maximizing our resources to enhance the land while leaving it better than we found it epitomizes the strategy we employ on our century old farm. Our national defense has benefited from a similar strategy.

A few years ago, the U.S. Army told Congress that upgrading the Chinook helicopter to a modernized Chinook Block II was a priority and dedicated funds to do it. Those upgrades would enable the Chinook to fly farther, carry heavier payloads and perform better at higher altitudes in hot weather conditions compared to its predecessor. The first three of these new aircraft are currently supporting developmental testing as we speak. However, the Army pulled back from its previous commitments, threatening key capabilities like being able to carry the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle or the M777 Extended Range Howitzer. This pullback also impacts the availability and cost of future parts for aircraft which will reduce aircraft availability and the workforce that builds the Chinook.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2021/06/04/improve_dont_replace_proven_chinook_capabilities_780060.html

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Improve, Don’t Replace, Proven Chinook Capabilities
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 04:26:38 pm »
Proven capabilities are much cheaper per unit than new stuff and that limits how much can be raked off for other purposes.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 03:11:52 pm »
Unfortunately, democrats are into replacing over improving.  Improving entails more thinking than replacing, a skill in which democrats are particularly inept. *****rollingeyes*****

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 03:27:36 pm »
Unfortunately, democrats are into replacing over improving.  Improving entails more thinking than replacing, a skill in which democrats are particularly inept. *****rollingeyes*****

Replacing offers MANY more opportunities for graft and corruption. Period! End of story.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien