Author Topic: McConnell signals GOP would block Biden Supreme Court pick in '24  (Read 953 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell signals GOP would block Biden Supreme Court pick in '24
By Jordain Carney - 06/14/21 10:02 AM EDT

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) signaled Monday that Republicans, if they win back control of the upper chamber, wouldn't advance a Supreme Court nominee if a vacancy occurred in 2024, the year of the next presidential election.

"I think it's highly unlikely — in fact, no, I don't think either party, if it were different from the president, would confirm a Supreme Court nominee in the middle of an election," McConnell told radio host Hugh Hewitt.

McConnell was asked if a GOP-controlled Senate would take the same tack in 2024 that it did in 2016, when they refused to give Merrick Garland, former President Obama's final Supreme Court pick, a hearing or a vote on his nomination to fill the vacancy created by the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

Republicans subsequently confirmed Amy Coney Barrett, then-President Trump's third Supreme Court nominee, in 2020, locking in a 6-3 conservative majority. The move, which sparked howls from Democrats, set a new record for how closely before a presidential election a Senate has confirmed a Supreme Court nominee.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/558268-mcconnell-signals-gop-would-block-biden-supreme-court-pick-in-24
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Re: McConnell signals GOP would block Biden Supreme Court pick in '24
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 04:03:57 pm »
But not in 2023?   What's the difference, besides having to wait just a little bit longer?

Simply argue that Biden isn't the real president and state that no appointment Biden makes is legitimate and since the seat on the bench is a lifetime appointment, it's existentially necessary that only real presidents make judicial appointments.

It would be so much fun to watch.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 04:27:50 pm »
McConnell will bend over like he always does.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 05:20:52 pm »

He didn't bend on refusing Hussein the Garland nomination.

He's a regular Gumby, but sometimes he shows some signs of internal skeleton.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 07:09:03 pm »

McConnell was good on not letting Garland get a vote and I think he would be tough again. The problem is the people that get appointed. They always disappoint. The SCOTUS failed us on the election lawsuit from Texas, that a lot of States signed on to, and I haven't seen any rulings yet from them that indicates a big move towards strict constructionism.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 04:50:07 am »
@mystery-ak

He must be hearing footsteps because the truth is all Mitch the Bitch cares about is what his Chinese deposit in his offshore accounts.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 04:51:19 am »
He didn't bend on refusing Hussein the Garland nomination.

He's a regular Gumby, but sometimes he shows some signs of internal skeleton.

@Sled Dog

He will do whatever he has to do to protect himself and his position.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 07:44:21 pm »
@Sled Dog

He will do whatever he has to do to protect himself and his position.

Exactly.

One would have thought that would have best been done by challenging a fraudulent election, but he's got himself a wife making a fortune off Chinese contacts.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 07:46:36 pm »
How can anyone honestly believe Traitor Joe will still be POTUS in 2024?

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 08:00:41 pm »
How can anyone honestly believe Traitor Joe will still be POTUS in 2024?

Because of the way the 25th Amendment reads.

The Rodents can TRY to declare their fake president incompetent and replace that puppet with the fake vice-presidential whore, but then the fake president can demand that he's just fine to take up the reins again and THEN it takes a majority in the Congress...including the votes of the GOP under Mitch McConnell, to affirm that the fake president is truly incompetent....and I can see Mitch having all sorts of fun with that scenario, off of it acting to prevent that camel's ass from declaring itself the first Whore President....female whore, that is.  We already had Obama, who was the second (b)lack president, but was really White because he has more White DNA in him than (b)lack.

But review the 25th Amendment.   It's marvelously devious.   They wanted to make sure the dethroning of a president, even a fake one, is a matter of deepest concern and not done easily.

Or, Kamel's Butt can get a favor from Hillary's crew to resolve the issue, i suppose.