General Category > Editorial/Opinion/Blogs

How Anti-Racist Activism Affects Interracial Couples Like Us | Opinion

(1/1)

PeteS in CA:
How Anti-Racist Activism Affects Interracial Couples Like Us | Opinion

https://www.newsweek.com/how-anti-racist-activism-affects-interracial-couples-like-us-opinion-1599970

--- Quote ---his year marks the 54th anniversary of Loving v. Virginia, the Supreme Court decision that struck down U.S. laws against interracial marriage. ...

The Loving case is personal for me. I am from China and my husband is American. We met online when I came here as a student. ... Two years later, we were married in North Carolina, the wedding decorations a mixture of Chinese and American styles, just like our marriage.
I learned that some activists claim all white people are oppressors, while people of other racial groups are oppressed victims. I learned that they think that a racial power dynamic exists in every interaction between white and nonwhite people, and thus oppression is present in every activity of life. Acknowledging and fighting against white people's oppressive role, I learned, is essential for "anti-racism." And refusing to acknowledge it is "White Fragility."

As the people around me became more deeply mired in this worldview, I wondered, where does interracial marriage belong in these narratives? Why would oppressed persons want to marry oppressors? And if these activists are right, wouldn't we have to conclude that no authentic relationship could exist between white and nonwhite people?
As someone who is deeply in love with a white person, I strongly disagree with this "oppressor/victim" narrative. It erases my love for my husband. It erases my humanity.

This is why I believe that to be truly anti-racist, we must uphold common humanity first.

It is counterproductive to fight racism with labels like "oppressor" and "fragility." It only shuts down heartfelt conversations. It builds walls rather than breaking them down.
--- End quote ---

Because I view all people as of the human race, I don't accept "mixed race marriage" or similar terms. And since one of my munchkins married a woman on non-European ancestry, I have a personal connection. But such terms are common usage.

The writer seems to be full-on Prog, +/-10%, but has collided with current Prog "race"-dividing dogma. For her it's a discovery, but division has always been a primary intent of that dogma. I hope she comes to realize that this "race"-dividing dogma is part of Prog-ideology's core, not an anomaly.

Hoodat:
Every time I fill out a form that asks me for my race, I always jot down 'American'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version