Author Topic: ‘We need more body bags’: Texas rep paints grim picture of border deaths  (Read 270 times)

rangerrebew

News
‘We need more body bags’: Texas rep paints grim picture of border deaths

By Samuel Chamberlain

June 10, 2021 | 10:14pm | Updated

A Texas congressman whose district covers much of the state’s border with Mexico claimed Thursday that county officials are asking for more body bags to keep up with the rising death toll among illegal immigrants trying to reach the US.

“My [county] judges are asking for one thing in particular,” Rep. Tony Gonzales (R-Texas) told Newsmax. “I sit in front of them and I go, ‘If I can do one thing for you, what would that be?’ And this is the ask I’m getting. They go, ‘Tony, we need more body bags.’ And I’m going, ‘Body bags? Why do you need body bags?’ They go, ‘Migrants are dying at record numbers, and we don’t have body bags to handle the situation.’

“That’s what is happening on the ground,” Gonzales added.

The migration crisis along the southwestern border shows little sign of slowing down. On Wednesday, US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced that they had stopped more than 180,000 illegal immigrants attempting to cross the frontier last month, the most in a single month since April of 2000. May also marked the third consecutive month of more than 170,000 apprehensions by CBP, the first time that has happened since January-April 2000.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/10/we-need-more-body-bags-texas-rep-tony-gonzales-paints-grim-picture-of-border/