Author Topic: Houston hospital suspends 178 employees who refused Covid-19 vaccination  (Read 871 times)

Offline thackney

Houston hospital suspends 178 employees who refused Covid-19 vaccination
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/houston-hospital-suspends-178-employees-who-refused-covid-19-vaccine-n1270261
June 9, 2021

A Houston hospital has suspended 178 staff members who have refused to abide by its mandate that employees be fully vaccinated by Monday.

Nearly 25,000 of Houston Methodist's staff members have been fully inoculated against Covid-19 as part of a vaccination requirement announced in April, Houston Methodist's president, Dr. Marc Boom, said in a statement Tuesday.

But 178 unvaccinated employees who did not get religious or medical exemptions were suspended without pay, including 27 who are only partly vaccinated....

...There are 285 unvaccinated employees who received medical or religious exemptions and 332 more who were granted deferrals....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

As you can tell from the numbers, Houston Methodist is a huge hospital system.  They work in nearly 300 buildings in the Houston Area.

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/locations/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
As you can tell from the numbers, Houston Methodist is a huge hospital system.  They work in nearly 300 buildings in the Houston Area.

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/locations/

I guess that is why they can fire 178 people and not feel their patients care will suffer. Looks like they are a huge (for profit?) Health network. Wonder how the PR war is going on this?  I bet the HM PR dept is in full spin mode.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

I guess that is why they can fire 178 people and not feel their patients care will suffer. Looks like they are a huge (for profit?) Health network. Wonder how the PR war is going on this?  I bet the HM PR dept is in full spin mode.

The topic has been running for a while here, not new news.

Methodist Ads are pushing their fully vaccinated staff.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 01:39:28 pm by thackney »

Online rustynail

Meanwhile: JoeBama Administration Will Not Require Vaccination For Federal Employees in Workplace, Nor Should any Federal Department Ask About Vaccination Status

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/blog/2021/06/09/joebama-administration-will-not-require-vaccination-for-federal-employees-in-workplace-nor-should-any-federal-department-ask-about-vaccination-status/

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Quote from: thackney link=topic=439539.msg2443815#msg2443815 date=1623330181
Methodist Ads are pushing their fully vaccinated staff.
[/quote

Which means they can still get Covid and probably spread Covid but THEY don't get seriously sick from it. The patients might get sick from the staff but the staff are protected from the patients.
Countdown to Resignation

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I am all for having the freedom to choose whether you want  the Vaccination or not.

OTOH, anyone working in a hospital in the line of fire not getting the Vax, likely isn't doing a good job of evaluating risk vs. benefit.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Victoria33

The Houston Medical Center is vast.  The M.D. Anderson cancer center by itself is huge.
My husband had to go to M. D. Anderson for cancer surgery.  There is a hotel with walkway over the street into the cancer center.  People getting day surgery or cancer treatment stay at that hotel.

We checked into the hotel the day before his surgery and the other patients in the hotel were "Arabs" in full Arab dress.  None of us cared who was a US citizen or an Arab, a member of our family, from US or Arab country, had cancer and that was all that mattered.  We helped push wheelchairs for Arabs, helped them get into and out of elevators and after husband's surgery, Arabs helped me get him back to our room.  We were all equal.

Offline Victoria33

I am all for having the freedom to choose whether you want  the Vaccination or not.  OTOH, anyone working in a hospital in the line of fire not getting the Vax, likely isn't doing a good job of evaluating risk vs. benefit.
@catfish1957

I agree and would have them get the shots, or leave and work somewhere else that does not have medical patients.

Offline PeteS in CA

IMO:

1. This should only apply to staff who are in regular/prolonged contact with patients.

2. Alternatives such as were used before vaccines became available should remain an option.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thackney

IMO:

1. This should only apply to staff who are in regular/prolonged contact with patients.

2. Alternatives such as were used before vaccines became available should remain an option.

What you said is truth and common sense.

What this is actually is:  A marketing scheme.

Offline PeteS in CA

IMO:

What you said is truth and common sense.

What this is actually is:  A marketing scheme.

Two immediate family members work at a hospice (not one that is a residential facility). One is in frequent contact with nurses, aides, and various visitors (e.g. for counseling). IMO, vaccination would be a necessity for her, and she is (and would have if she didn't work at the hospice). The other seldom is around nurses, etc., and IMO, vaccination would not be necessary for her job (though she is, by choice).

A facility like theirs or a hospital or a SNF/ALF have people who need to be vaccinated. I also think a business that does not - e.g. a bar - should have the right to require employee vaccination, as silly as that might be, as part of at-will employment. And bartender, server, etc., etc., etc. skills being fungible and in demand, their employees can choose to go with the requirement or move on to one of their competitors.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

We helped push wheelchairs for Arabs, helped them get into and out of elevators and after husband's surgery, Arabs helped me get him back to our room.  We were all equal.

Employees who do not get vaccinated clearly are not equal.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

Judge rules in favor of Houston hospital requiring employees to be vaccinated
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-houston-methodist-hospital-vaccine-lawsuit-20210613-pp5sknyxdjdc3mp4pl2orfkere-story.html

By requiring vaccination, the employer assumes liability for any negative reaction or effects including those from a subsequent  SARS-2 infection.

And yes, there are people coming down with COVID after receiving the vaccine.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

@catfish1957

I agree and would have them get the shots, or leave and work somewhere else that does not have medical patients.

I worked in a hospital about 8 years ago. During flu season we had the option of getting the flu shot or wearing a mask. I opted for the flu  shot, keeping in mind that a hospital is one of the 'germiest' places that there is.  I came in contact with bodily fluids so I felt I was at high risk.  People don't come to the hospital because they are healthy, they come because they are sick.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

By requiring vaccination, the employer assumes liability for any negative reaction or effects including those from a subsequent  SARS-2 infection.

And yes, there are people coming down with COVID after receiving the vaccine.

This is a consideration that the judge refused to entertain.                       
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.