Poll

But they make me feel so cool

Yes
2 (40%)
yes
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Are tightie whitey just simply man panties?  (Read 16525 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Are tightie whitey just simply man panties?
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2021, 04:13:43 am »
He said it was hand sanitizer....

@Wingnut

Well,maybe it is in the social circles he travels within?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2021, 08:44:23 am »
Yes you are. Who the hell buys 50 dollar shirts?

Yeah... If they're sticking, it's definitely time to change them  :laugh:
Well, I do, but they're NFPA 2112 compliant Flame Resistant stuff for work. Heavy fabric, and last for years.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2021, 08:59:39 am »
Well, I do, but they're NFPA 2112 compliant Flame Resistant stuff for work. Heavy fabric, and last for years.

Different story... That's a write off for work   :shrug:

Offline thackney

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2021, 11:37:17 am »
Different story... That's a write off for work   :shrug:

Well it would be if the expenses totaled enough.  Wearing $400 dollar outfits out in the mud is just part of the charm of oil/gas/petrochem work.  But no dry cleaning expenses...

I have turned the hose on myself before driving home.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:38:35 am by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2021, 12:57:36 pm »
Well it would be if the expenses totaled enough.  Wearing $400 dollar outfits out in the mud is just part of the charm of oil/gas/petrochem work.  But no dry cleaning expenses...

I have turned the hose on myself before driving home.

:shrug: Wouldn't know.

But hosing myself off after work... Well I do know all about that. Most of the womenfolk I know wouldn't let me anywhere near the house without it.  :laugh:

BassWrangler

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2021, 01:59:24 pm »
Yes you are. Who the hell buys 50 dollar shirts?

You think that's bad, look at this ridiculous shit:

https://www.untuckit.com/collections/shirts

I first heard about this company and thought "oh, good for concealed carry, let me check that out". Then I saw the price - no thanks!

Offline thackney

« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2021, 02:03:53 pm »

I first heard about this company and thought "oh, good for concealed carry, let me check that out". Then I saw the price - no thanks!

Try these:

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/guayabera-shirts

BassWrangler

« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2021, 02:14:31 pm »
Try these:

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/guayabera-shirts

Thanks, but I don't buy from Walmart. Garbage company that sends our dollars to China.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:15:23 pm by BassWrangler »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2021, 02:56:14 pm »

Yeah, no. The day I can't get a decent shirt for thirty bucks or less is the day I go back to leathers,

Offline thackney

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2021, 03:47:37 pm »
Thanks, but I don't buy from Walmart. Garbage company that sends our dollars to China.

I just picked Walmart for the price.  Cuban style Guayabera are available from many, many different sources.

BassWrangler

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2021, 04:59:40 pm »
I just picked Walmart for the price.  Cuban style Guayabera are available from many, many different sources.

Yes, thanks. They also need to a bit loose to avoid printing.

Offline thackney

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2021, 05:05:55 pm »
Yes, thanks. They also need to a bit loose to avoid printing.

They are typically loose but also typically thin.  It was designed for hot weather.  But the style has caught on for some areas and more choices are available.

BassWrangler

« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2021, 11:41:47 pm »
They are typically loose but also typically thin.  It was designed for hot weather.  But the style has caught on for some areas and more choices are available.

Thanks, I will give a look on Amazon for some. Thin is OK, as long as they have some sort of a pattern to break up the outline of the pistol grip.

I typically buy shirts to wear when I am carrying from 5.11 when they have a sale, but it's always good to have alternatives.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2021, 10:30:38 am »
Their selection's been lacking lately, too. About the only time I buy anything from them is on clearance.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2021, 10:40:48 am »
Yeah, no. The day I can't get a decent shirt for thirty bucks or less is the day I go back to leathers,
$30 is the most I've ever spent on a shirt. It was still a size too small. Not a bad shirt, but still: women complain about how sizes are so inconsistent all the time but men's choices are just as bad and we measure in actual inches!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2021, 11:40:45 am »
$30 is the most I've ever spent on a shirt. It was still a size too small. Not a bad shirt, but still: women complain about how sizes are so inconsistent all the time but men's choices are just as bad and we measure in actual inches!

My shirts seldom cost over 15 bucks... T shirts and flannel... From there it gets spendy. Serious work coats and rough weather gear can cost a mint. But even there, mostly I wait for the right deal. My main work coat is a Carhartt I got on clearance - Normally somewhat over 50 bucks, I got that for 15 bucks too... My main mountain coats are Patagonia and North Face, both of them hundred dollar range, both well under 50.

The stuff that sucks in price and never changes is high tech under layers, fleeces, and gortex stuff.. That stuff just sucks to buy. But it is all really durable. Another thing I lay out hard for is wool. Blankets or coats, real 100% wool in a decent thickness costs a mint... I don't think nothing of spending 300 bucks on a blanket or coat if it is wool.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2021, 10:02:22 pm »
My shirts seldom cost over 15 bucks... T shirts and flannel... From there it gets spendy. Serious work coats and rough weather gear can cost a mint. But even there, mostly I wait for the right deal. My main work coat is a Carhartt I got on clearance - Normally somewhat over 50 bucks, I got that for 15 bucks too... My main mountain coats are Patagonia and North Face, both of them hundred dollar range, both well under 50.

The stuff that sucks in price and never changes is high tech under layers, fleeces, and gortex stuff.. That stuff just sucks to buy. But it is all really durable. Another thing I lay out hard for is wool. Blankets or coats, real 100% wool in a decent thickness costs a mint... I don't think nothing of spending 300 bucks on a blanket or coat if it is wool.
The place I find wool important is socks. Wigwam makes some good ones, and they might cost as much as your shirts, but wear those with a liner sock (something thin to let the wool wick away moisture from your feet, and slippery enough to not 'bind' to the wool, even after a couple of days with them on) and stuff them in a good pair of well made insulated waterproof boots,  (I like Georgia Boot's arctic toe 1000G thinsulate, but YMMV) and my feet stay warm and comfortable. NOw, for many, 15 bucks (they were actually more a couple years ago) may seem like a lot, but here's the bottom line: The rest of me isn't going anywhere without those feet.
It seems like a lot of dough for one pair of socks, but after two years of wearing those boots ('daily drivers') and the same sock setup, in weather ranging from -30 to +110, my feet are happy, and happy feet make for a happy me. The socks (I have quite a few pair now) hold up well, well over 100 wearings on some pairs, and I have yet to retire any.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2021, 10:37:17 pm »
The place I find wool important is socks. Wigwam makes some good ones, and they might cost as much as your shirts, but wear those with a liner sock (something thin to let the wool wick away moisture from your feet, and slippery enough to not 'bind' to the wool, even after a couple of days with them on) and stuff them in a good pair of well made insulated waterproof boots,  (I like Georgia Boot's arctic toe 1000G thinsulate, but YMMV) and my feet stay warm and comfortable. NOw, for many, 15 bucks (they were actually more a couple years ago) may seem like a lot, but here's the bottom line: The rest of me isn't going anywhere without those feet.
It seems like a lot of dough for one pair of socks, but after two years of wearing those boots ('daily drivers') and the same sock setup, in weather ranging from -30 to +110, my feet are happy, and happy feet make for a happy me. The socks (I have quite a few pair now) hold up well, well over 100 wearings on some pairs, and I have yet to retire any.

Actually I have not bought wool socks in decades. I prolly have 30 pair. Don't remember the brand, but I bought a ton, and they are a perennial favorite to give to me as a Christmas gift... that and blanket or fleece lined flannel shirts. I got more than  I will ever use.

I am tween boots. Can't find what I want. I just threw out my Danners... And I have not been happy since I finally wore out my Dexters from back in the day. I REALLY prefer a hiker to a military style boot. Looking at some Vasques. Dunno. BUT, when it gets deep I am in packs or muks anyhow. But I really do need to find me a hiker-style leather winter boot.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2021, 05:17:49 am »
Actually I have not bought wool socks in decades. I prolly have 30 pair. Don't remember the brand, but I bought a ton, and they are a perennial favorite to give to me as a Christmas gift... that and blanket or fleece lined flannel shirts. I got more than  I will ever use.

I am tween boots. Can't find what I want. I just threw out my Danners... And I have not been happy since I finally wore out my Dexters from back in the day. I REALLY prefer a hiker to a military style boot. Looking at some Vasques. Dunno. BUT, when it gets deep I am in packs or muks anyhow. But I really do need to find me a hiker-style leather winter boot.
It looks like Georgia boot stopped making the ones I like best (good thing I bought an extra pair). There are some of those out there for half price, if you wear size 14 or 16. (a mite big for my 12s). Model number g8162 are the ones I have literally worn the soles off of.
Other lines here. Good boots, but more of a work boot configuration then the lower quarter hikers. (I still have my hikers from my college days, but haven't worn them for years. Don't even know if they will still go on my feet.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:19:21 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2021, 06:35:11 am »
It looks like Georgia boot stopped making the ones I like best (good thing I bought an extra pair). There are some of those out there for half price, if you wear size 14 or 16. (a mite big for my 12s). Model number g8162 are the ones I have literally worn the soles off of.
Other lines here. Good boots, but more of a work boot configuration then the lower quarter hikers. (I still have my hikers from my college days, but haven't worn them for years. Don't even know if they will still go on my feet.)

Thanks but nope. Samey thing as them Danners... I don't like tight lace-ups in the winter. That's why I want another alpine hiker. They retain room inside, and the wool does not get compressed. I get cold in them lace-ups, and since I am in gaiters most all the time, I don't need any higher than the ankles.

Them Dexters were nigh on bulletproof. I had em nearly thirty years, and abused them daily. Every single piece of them had been replaced several times. But finally my cobbler cried enough. Now I wish I'd twisted his arm just a bit more. Best boots I ever had.

Had a set of Herman Survivors a while back that weren't bad - Didn't really like the high rubber rand that acted like a tub and rotted the leather underneath. They lasted alright and all, but when it came time to repair, nothing was repairable. I am sick to death of glued up boots. Thinking of hitting up Nick's or White to see if they'd custom some alpine boots.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2021, 11:13:50 am »
Thanks but nope. Samey thing as them Danners... I don't like tight lace-ups in the winter. That's why I want another alpine hiker. They retain room inside, and the wool does not get compressed. I get cold in them lace-ups, and since I am in gaiters most all the time, I don't need any higher than the ankles.

Them Dexters were nigh on bulletproof. I had em nearly thirty years, and abused them daily. Every single piece of them had been replaced several times. But finally my cobbler cried enough. Now I wish I'd twisted his arm just a bit more. Best boots I ever had.

Had a set of Herman Survivors a while back that weren't bad - Didn't really like the high rubber rand that acted like a tub and rotted the leather underneath. They lasted alright and all, but when it came time to repair, nothing was repairable. I am sick to death of glued up boots. Thinking of hitting up Nick's or White to see if they'd custom some alpine boots.
Well, to each their own. The last Herman Survivors I had were junk. They didn't survive. I had some fleece (fleece-ish?) lined Chippewas many moons ago that were pretty good, but again, lace-ups. The hiking boots I still have were Thom McCann's (they are almost 50), which surprised me for their durability, wearability, and I climbed in them too. Never found pac boots with a strong enough sole for me, so If I am in the boonies, it's like wearing slippers. My big ol' congenitally flat feet just don't like that in rough terrain. As for lace-ups, the Georgia Boot ones are about the best I have worn in cold. plenty of toe room, even with the woolies, and well enough insulated that my feet don't get cold. I have to say that much for them. Unfortunately, of the newer offerings, the 1000 gram thinsulate boots aren't being offered.
If it isn't rated for -30 or colder, I don't want it, except to wear in summer.

Last pair of Pac Boots I bought that did fairly well were Guide Gear -40 rated and IIRC 1000 gram thinsulate. I put rubbers on them to keep oil based drilling mud from eating them and they lasted a few years. My feet never got cold in them, even sitting still in -30 weather, but again, while well padded, they were not the best on harsh and uneven surfaces, likely because they were made mainly for snow. I went through three sets of rubbers but never wore the soles out, (because the rubbers did their job of protecting them).

But good hiking/climbing boots are hard to come by.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2021, 12:22:57 pm »
Well, to each their own. The last Herman Survivors I had were junk. They didn't survive.

Mine neither... I maybe got two years out of em...  and then they couldn't repair at all. Pitched em, and never went back.

Last pair of Pac Boots I bought that did fairly well were Guide Gear -40 rated and IIRC 1000 gram thinsulate. I put rubbers on them to keep oil based drilling mud from eating them and they lasted a few years. My feet never got cold in them, even sitting still in -30 weather, but again, while well padded, they were not the best on harsh and uneven surfaces, likely because they were made mainly for snow. I went through three sets of rubbers but never wore the soles out, (because the rubbers did their job of protecting them).

You might want to look at Kamik for pacs. I have had super good luck with them. They are softer and more pliable than a Sorel... Wider in the track. Even the leather flops over if the inners are taken out. You would think them a lesser boot, but I always had trouble with Sorel tearing out at the heel or the leather upper - Too rigid in comparison. I have had them Kamiks maybe 15 years now, where a Sorel don't last me five. Maybe three... And I chalk it up to their being more pliable... They are kinda like the difference between a boot and a moc. But then, that was more than a decade ago, so who knows if they kept up their good name. But they walk real nice, with more of the flex you'd expect from a moc. I know it don't, but it seems like you can better feel the ground.

I will go back for more.

ETA: For Muks, Steger, of course.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 12:32:15 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2021, 05:30:01 pm »
@roamer_1 Well, I have tried Kamiks, and still have a pair. Problem is, with a softer boot, my feet are more prone to injury. The Guide Gear (Sportsman's Guide) ones were warmer, too, but in fairness, the claims made by the Guide were beyond what Kamik claimed, so they just lived up to what they advertised. Frankly, I was surprised by how good those boots were, not just how good they were for the money.

C S Lewis