Author Topic: If The Supreme Court Upholds Roe v. Wade, Expect An Uprising  (Read 1116 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 If The Supreme Court Upholds Roe v. Wade, Expect An Uprising

If the Supreme Court is unwilling to haul itself out of the hole it began digging a half-century ago, the court deserves to be discredited even further.

By Willis L. Krumholz and Robert Delahunty
June 8, 2021

During its next term, the U.S. Supreme Court is set to review a Mississippi law that extended protection to unborn lives starting at 15 weeks — well before the point of “viability” that the court has considered constitutionally pivotal. It is a direct challenge to the Roe vs. Wade decision, the cases in its line, and the ensuing precedents that constitutionalized a system of abortion on demand in the United States.

Ever since the Supreme Court agreed to review the Mississippi law, the commentariat and corporatist media have focused on the potential Democratic and left-wing reaction — that is, on their own reaction. The left is threatening the justices with dire consequences if Roe is overruled. Specifically, Democrats are saying a ruling they don’t like will lead them to pack the Supreme Court.

Clearly, no longer does the left pretend to argue in a disciplined, legal way for the legalization of abortion. The language of raw power, bitter invective, and crude threats have become the vernacular of the contemporary left in addressing the justices.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2021/06/08/if-the-supreme-court-upholds-roe-v-wade-expect-an-uprising/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: If The Supreme Court Upholds Roe v. Wade, Expect An Uprising
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 06:04:32 pm »
This is the time of the long punt by the Court.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 10:25:09 pm »
I wrote the following piece and posted it on TOS on Feb 19, 2007. I would post a link to it, but there are many here who probably wouldn't go there to read it.
So, I'm posting it in its entirety here.
You're not going to like it:
====================
Jim Robinson wrote:
"I'm also supporting appointing judges who will correctly interpret the constitution per original intent and I'm sure eventually they will overturn Roe vs Wade and whatever other decisions that may be blocking a return of the issue of abortion to the states. Let the people decide. Not the feds or the courts."

Roe v. Wade will never be overturned in the Supreme Court.
Let me repeat that for emphasis: NEVER.

As no less "conservative" a jurist as John G. Roberts said - during his confirmation hearings, if I recall correctly - Roe v. Wade is "settled law".

Yes, we have seen Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia make noise about tossing Roe. But they enjoy the _luxury_ of making such noises, so long as they KNOW they are in the minority and that their contrary votes have no chance of effecting such a change.

If ever presented with a case where they truly have in their grasp the opportunity to overturn Roe, I predict that even the most conservative justices will gripe, grumble, perhaps even issue separate opinions - but that they will be _concurring_ opinions grudgingly supporting the continued observance of the core principles of Roe. When the chips are down, conservatives will back away from this one.

There are two good reasons why they will do so.

Reason number one is a longstanding legal principle that is one of the fundamental principles of the Court: stare decisis. That is: "stand by that which has been decided". And that's EXACTLY why - in his confirmation hearings - that Justice Roberts referred to Roe as "settled law". Because he is, at heart, a justice, and he recognizes the need to stand by "things decided".

Reason number two is that even the conservative justices realize that to overturn Roe would all-but destroy conservatism in America, by reviving one of the great issues of The Left to be used in the ongoing struggle with The Right.

Conservatives would be grinning ear to ear with the tossing of Roe, but - like the Cheshire Cat - they would find their ranks gradually melting away. Because I contend that there are even a large number of REPUBLICAN women [and men] that - although they may have never needed an abortion personally - feel like something would have been pulled out from under them.

There is also a THIRD reason why Roe will not be overturned, and this is a "Fishrrman original": you haven't heard it mentioned from anyone else, anywhere yet:
The Left will never permit a case with the potential to overturn Roe to come before a conservative Court that might use such a case to do exactly that.

"Nonsense!", you're thinking. But there is stark precedence for this based on recent Court history.

Recall, if you will, the not-so-long-ago case of schoolteacher Sharon Taxman vs. the town of Piscataway, New Jersey. Ms. Taxman had been denied a job promotion (that went to a black teacher) and had been told explicitly that the _reason_ she was passed over was because she was white.

Taxman filed suit. And the Supreme Court eventually agreed to hear the case, which was scheduled  for oral argument. The facts of the case were cold as ice, and it was recognized widely (on all sides of the political spectrum) that the Supreme Court [even a moderate Court] would use the case to outlaw affirmative action once and for all.

But the Taxman case was never heard.

Knowing that Taxman was certain to win in court, civil rights groups offered her a large sum of cash (about $480,000, if I recall correctly) to "buy her off" and withdraw her petition before the Court. She sold out, took the bait, and withdrew her petition before the Court only days before it was to be heard.

And that is why Affirmative Action continues to exist today as social and governmental policy. The Left knew they could not win if the facts were to be heard in court, so they made sure that the facts would not come before the court.

And so it will go with the abortion issue.

I predict that if an abortion-issue case arose at the grassroots level that had the potential to reach the Supreme Court - particularly a Court packed with conservative justices - that The Left would ultimately "cede the case" at the local or state level, and concurrently do everything in its power to prevent the case from reaching the high court. They would "pull a Taxman" on the abortion issue, even if that meant giving up their control over the issue in a single state, for the time being. Although [at the state level] this might be touted as a "defeat" for The Left, viewed more circumspectly, it would be a strategic victory for them, a la Taxman vs. affirmative action.

Even a conservative Supreme Court, willing to pull the trigger on Roe, is helpless to do so without the "ammunition": that being a court case on which to rule

Part of embracing conservatism is opening one's eyes to reality. Reality isn't always pleasant to look at, but it must be seen clearly and understood. And the harsh "reality" of the abortion issue is that it IS "settled law" in the United States. It will never be overturned - whatever opportunities that once may have existed for doing so were lost soon after the Roe decision by the Court (of course, the ONLY "opportunity" would have been a Constitutional amendment, which is NOT ever going to happen now).

The only _other_ opportunity would, of course, be the Court re-examining Roe and invalidating it, returning the issue to the states. But that won't happen for the reasons I've outlined above.

Some years ago, back before FreeRepublic or even the World Wide Web, there was a poster on AOL named "LizardNC" (he might even be a Freeper today) who very wisely stated:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

And the reality of abortion in America, is that - like it or not - it is here to stay.
===================

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.
We'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:26:04 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 01:27:42 am »
Roberts didn't have the cojones necessary to allow the Court to review the Texas+ lawsuit challenging the false electors, he was in a panic that cities would burn again.

Protecting the cities from rioters is not his job.

Guaranteed that if a real review of Roe came up, the Court would do the cowardly thing of voting unanimously to uphold the murder of babies.

What needs to happen is legislative.

The CONGRESS needs to cite the Fifth Amendment, which states that " No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, ", and then simply define the word person for purposes of law.

A "person is a person, no matter how small" is also a person when the sperm finds the egg.   After the completion of the fertilization process, the zygote is a unique biological and completely human individual.   A person.   This happens before the egg is implanted, but after any rapes that may have occured.

So the Congress passes a law stating that an unborn child, no matter how young, is a person under the law and the beneficiary of all human rights protected by the Constitution and other US law.   

Yeah, that means if the little zygote wanted to buy an AR-15, the government couldn't tell him he couldn't.   Maybe he doesn't feel safe from his abusive twin and wants a tiny .22?

But the Court is not in the business of "defining" words.  That's the legislatures job.   

But I no more expect this court to have the guts to do the right thing than I'd expect Biden to know what to do if left in Fort Marcy Park.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 01:51:08 am »
It took over half a century to overturn Plessy.  The time is approaching.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 02:09:44 am »
It took over half a century to overturn Plessy.  The time is approaching.

The Rodents are more frantic than then.

When Plessy was overturned, the Rodents were still able to win elections, because they were almost Americans then and could sound like Americans.  Now they're nowhere close and can't talk the talk.

Now they're a starving dog threatened by a tiger for a dead gazelle.   The dog will fight viciously to keep the food.

Rodents are no different.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 02:12:17 am »
The court didn't have the courage to review the last election.

You can bet the court doesn't have the courage to do anything about abortion.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 02:30:54 am »
It's generally reluctant to take the "shall not be infringed" wording literally, too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 06:50:36 am »
Roberts didn't have the cojones necessary to allow the Court to review the Texas+ lawsuit challenging the false electors, he was in a panic that cities would burn again.

Protecting the cities from rioters is not his job.

Guaranteed that if a real review of Roe came up, the Court would do the cowardly thing of voting unanimously to uphold the murder of babies.

What needs to happen is legislative.

The CONGRESS needs to cite the Fifth Amendment, which states that " No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, ", and then simply define the word person for purposes of law.

A "person is a person, no matter how small" is also a person when the sperm finds the egg.   After the completion of the fertilization process, the zygote is a unique biological and completely human individual.   A person.   This happens before the egg is implanted, but after any rapes that may have occured.

So the Congress passes a law stating that an unborn child, no matter how young, is a person under the law and the beneficiary of all human rights protected by the Constitution and other US law.   

Yeah, that means if the little zygote wanted to buy an AR-15, the government couldn't tell him he couldn't.   Maybe he doesn't feel safe from his abusive twin and wants a tiny .22?

But the Court is not in the business of "defining" words.  That's the legislatures job.   

But I no more expect this court to have the guts to do the right thing than I'd expect Biden to know what to do if left in Fort Marcy Park.
Oh, but it is. In the decision to keep the ACA (Obamacare), Roberts not only redefined the "Penalty" (that Congress has insisted was NOT a tax) as a tax, but practically rewrote the law to do so.

I agree it isn't supposed to be the court's purview, but that, too, has been usurped.

As for Roe, it is the Dred Scott decision of the 20th century, placing the Court's interpretation at odds with the Constitution and the intent espoused in the Declaration of Independence in the words "all men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, among those Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness...".

When such self-evident truths are ruled against, I can have no faith in the Court.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 08:01:19 pm »
Oh, but it is. In the decision to keep the ACA (Obamacare), Roberts not only redefined the "Penalty" (that Congress has insisted was NOT a tax) as a tax, but practically rewrote the law to do so.

I agree it isn't supposed to be the court's purview, but that, too, has been usurped.

As for Roe, it is the Dred Scott decision of the 20th century, placing the Court's interpretation at odds with the Constitution and the intent espoused in the Declaration of Independence in the words "all men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, among those Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness...".

When such self-evident truths are ruled against, I can have no faith in the Court.

By declaring MessiahCare to be a tax bill, Roberts in his effort to make an unconstituitonal law Constitutional made the law unconstitutional in yet another way.

MessiahCare originated in the Senate.

The Constitution requires that all revenue bills originate in the House, thus MessiahCare violates the Originations Clause, and...is unconstitutional.

And true, the Court has no credibility until it reverses it's decision making infanticide not only legal, but some kind of "right".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:02:41 pm by Sled Dog »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 09:53:43 pm »
"Expect an uprising?"

There hasn't been one yet. What makes anyone think this generation, which has detached itself from family, marriage and having children to an extent never seen before in American society... think they'll all of a sudden rise up for this?

We haven't lost ground on the abortion issue as much as we have on other conservative issues but we haven't gained ground, either. I don't see an uprising coming.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 11:34:39 pm »
"Expect an uprising?"

There hasn't been one yet. What makes anyone think this generation, which has detached itself from family, marriage and having children to an extent never seen before in American society... think they'll all of a sudden rise up for this?

We haven't lost ground on the abortion issue as much as we have on other conservative issues but we haven't gained ground, either. I don't see an uprising coming.
Geez, JMyrle, in the ccurrent DC parlance (calling 1/6 an "Insurrection") an "uprising" would be a couple of little old ladies with a short handled picket sign.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 12:31:49 am »
Pure poppycock!!!  There will be no uprising, no insurrection over the murder of the most defenseless of humans in our society.  NEVER!!!!    EVER!!!

Roe vs Wade was the beginning of the end of our republic.  There is no coming back, it is only a matter of time when our destruction will be complete.  A society that rationalizes the destruction of its future population cannot survive.  I see no path to undo this most despicable act in our history.  Blacks go on about slavery when we murder hundreds of thousands of black babies every year. 

We honor Margaret Sanger in the Civil Rights area of the Smithsonian as a leader for civil rights, when in fact she only wanted to contain the growth of undesirables in our society, that being people of color, the poor, Catholics and Jews.  And POSs like Obama and Clinton praised her when they were in power, and the IDIOT minorities voted for these hucksters.  Sangers is believed to have given Hitler the idea of eliminating the Jews of Europe, she is such an inspiration.
  Talk about wanting to destroy a statue of someone?  She is at the top of my list, or maybe it is the statue of Lenin in Washington state.  I would like to see her name banished from anything giving favorable recognition in the USA.

Roe vs Wade will stand as long as Roberts is Chief Justice.  He is NOT a conservative!!!!  Just one more painful POS from George Bush!!!!!!!!!!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 01:10:19 am »

Roe vs Wade was the beginning of the end of our republic.  There is no coming back, it is only a matter of time when our destruction will be complete.  A society that rationalizes the destruction of its future population cannot survive. 

Roe vs Wade will stand as long as Roberts is Chief Justice.  He is NOT a conservative!!!!  Just one more painful POS from George Bush!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed and the SCOTUS has proven that they no longer have any credibility.  None.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.