Author Topic: Texas power generation companies will have to better prepare for extreme weather under bills Gov. Gr  (Read 471 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Tribune by Isabella Zou June 8, 2021

Texas power generation companies will have to better prepare for extreme weather under bills Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law

Senate Bills 2 and 3 are aimed at overhauling the state’s power grid after the devastating winter storm in February and the widespread power outages that followed.

Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law Tuesday two bills meant to improve the state’s main power grid and change the governance of the agency that operates it.

Calls for sweeping changes to Texas’ power infrastructure have amplified since February, when a catastrophic winter storm left more than 4.8 million homes and businesses without power for days. The state reports that 151 people died, though a BuzzFeed News analysis found the number of fatalities may be 700.

The legislation written and finalized over the session addresses key areas of improvement, such as “weatherization” of power generators to prepare them for extreme weather, while neglecting other initiatives called for by experts, such as providing direct aid to consumers impacted by the storm.

Senate Bill 3 requires upgrades for power generators and transmission lines to make them better withstand extreme weather. According to Abbott, the Texas Railroad Commission and the Electric Reliability Council of Texas will conduct inspections of the facilities, and failure to weatherize may result in penalties of up to $1 million.

Senate Bill 2 changes the governance of ERCOT, the state’s main grid operator. It shrinks the number of seats on ERCOT’s board of directors from 16 to 11, and the state’s top politicians would have strong influence over the board. A selection committee would appoint eight of the 11 board members. The selection committee would be made up of three people — one appointed by the governor, one by the lieutenant governor and one by the speaker of the House. The committee would use an “outside consulting firm” to select the eight members.

More: https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/08/greg-abbott-texas-power-grid-ercot/

Offline thackney

I look forward to plodding through the details.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I look forward to plodding through the details.
Me too.

Since renewables were operating at almost 0% during the worst of the past storm, the very first thing to do is to avoid reliance upon them if we wish better preparations for power reliability for the future.

If the bill does not address that, it is not a very worthwhile bill at all.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Me too.

Since renewables were operating at almost 0% during the worst of the past storm, the very first thing to do is to avoid reliance upon them if we wish better preparations for power reliability for the future.

If the bill does not address that, it is not a very worthwhile bill at all.

Wind and Solar can be winterized as well.  They are used far more north than we are.  All power generation in the mix needed additional winterization, even Nukes and Coal.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Wind and Solar can be winterized as well.  They are used far more north than we are.  All power generation in the mix needed additional winterization, even Nukes and Coal.
Sure they are used, but remain less reliable nevertheless
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington