Author Topic: Study finds tai chi more effective than weight training and cardio  (Read 462 times)

Offline libertybele

I need to find a class! 

Study finds tai chi more effective than weight training and cardio

When it comes to maintaining good cholesterol levels, a study finds tai chi more effective than weight training and cardio.

WINK News speaks to a tai chi student and an instructor about why this exercise is so beneficial.

Stephen Piccone turned to tai chi for his health. “The aging body is taking its toll with the arthritis in my joints, pain, discomfort, things like that,” said Piccone.

Now, years later, this gentle art has become part of his daily life.

“Before I walk, I shift my weight here and I step more gently,” Piccone said. “And it’s a subconscious thing now.”

Piccone has become a full-fledged student of tai chi.

“With the movement being so gentle and taking your time before you do the next movement, the core is really holding you stable,” he said.

Danling Neilson is a Level III tai chi instructor. “Your mind is calm, peaceful. Let the core finish the movement. Let the hip help the body transfer the weight,” Neilson said.

Neilson says tai chi can also help with weight loss. “They lose weight from inside to outside. Maybe it takes a little time, but when you lose the weight, you’re very, very stable,” Neilson said. “Tai Chi can also help you lose weight because the core muscle is non-stop working.”

Dr. Michael Irwin is the director of the Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology at UCLA. “When you’re engaging those large muscle groups, you’re actually engaging in a considerable amount of physical activity,” Irwin said.

Dr. Irwin studies the health benefits of tai chi. One of his last studies followed more than 500 adults, all aged 50 and older, for 38 weeks.

“It turns out that waist circumference, the actual accumulation of abdominal fat, is the one factor that’s most highly related to adverse outcomes, particularly in older adults, like cardiovascular disease, and also certain cancers,” Irwin said.

“The purpose of this study was to evaluate what extent Tai Chi or physical activity could decrease waist circumference or abdominal obesity,” said Dr. Irwin.

The participants in this study were split into three groups: the first with no intervention, the second group did weight training and aerobic exercise and the third group did tai chi.

The conventional exercise group and the tai chi group both reduced their waist sizes and lot weight..............

https://www.winknews.com/2021/06/08/study-finds-tai-chi-more-effective-than-weight-training-and-cardio/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

Re: Study finds tai chi more effective than weight training and cardio
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 01:31:14 am »
tai chi and chai tea...  happy77