Author Topic: Drought-stricken Nevada enacts ban on 'non-functional' grass  (Read 1645 times)

Offline thackney

Drought-stricken Nevada enacts ban on 'non-functional' grass
https://apnews.com/article/nevada-droughts-government-and-politics-environment-and-nature-3bc619e46f902b2ebb77245fcf54e22a

...A new Nevada law will outlaw about 31% of the grass in the Las Vegas area in an effort to conserve water amid a drought that’s drying up the region’s primary water source: the Colorado River.

Other cities and states around the U.S. have enacted temporary bans on lawns that must be watered, but legislation signed Friday by Gov. Steve Sisolak makes Nevada the first in the nation to enact a permanent ban on certain categories of grass.

Sisolak said last week that anyone flying into Las Vegas viewing the “bathtub rings” that delineate how high Lake Mead’s water levels used to be can see that conservation is needed.

“It’s incumbent upon us for the next generation to be more conscious of conservation and our natural resources — water being particularly important,” he said....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Drought-stricken Nevada enacts ban on 'non-functional' grass
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 05:46:10 pm »
A simpler solution, don't build as many homes.

But then the tax revenue stream can't grow...so no grass for you.

Las Vegas metro area is reaching peak capacity, water will be the limiting factor.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 05:51:07 pm »
We have annual Summer lawn watering bans in my area since 2005.

The traditional Northeast mix is perennial rye, perennial bluegrass, and creeping fescue.

Since 2005 I primariy seed tall fescues from the desert Southwest.  My lawn ain't the prettiest, but it's perseverant.

What will the golf courses do?
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 10:06:22 pm »
sZ wrote:
"Las Vegas metro area is reaching peak capacity, water will be the limiting factor."

What about the millions teeming across the southern border, or those who have yet to make the trek but who WILL come in the next 3 1/2 years?
Better get the message to them.

(Here in New England, water is something we just don't have to worry about.)

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 03:15:12 pm »
Had a friend who recently built a new house and put artificial grass on the lawn.  He never took care of his former lawn, so I suppose this works...lol.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 03:59:13 pm »
And this is why us Desert Rats install gravel lawns.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 04:45:30 pm »
And this is why us Desert Rats install gravel lawns.

After the last couple weeks I thought about giving up on our grass and planting water lilies.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 06:07:56 pm »

The traditional Northeast mix is perennial rye, perennial bluegrass, and creeping fescue.

Since 2005 I primariy seed tall fescues from the desert Southwest.  My lawn ain't the prettiest, but it's perseverant.

They will continue to do as they have, because you know they have been classified as having "functional grass" and are an important part of the revenue stream from tourists.

Offline Skull

Re: Drought-stricken Southwest
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 03:36:02 am »
Water level of Lake Mead shows critical nature of drought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4k9Fm_OG8s
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Drought-stricken Southwest
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 03:48:49 am »
Water level of Lake Mead shows critical nature of drought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4k9Fm_OG8s

Mead has been low for years.   It looks maybe a bit lower than it was last year. 

I'm lucky, my town is at the southern point of the next lake downstream where the level's been steady for years (Lake Mohave, part of the Lake Mead Recreation Area).  This time of year they close the gates and lower the Colorado River below Davis Dam for a few days at a time.  The idea is to kill the pest Caddisfly eggs and larvae, but the townspeople take advantage of the low water to clean up accumulated trash from the river bottom.  The birds and sport fish feast on the Caddisfly larvae.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 04:54:36 am »
A simpler solution, don't build as many homes.

But then the tax revenue stream can't grow...so no grass for you.

Las Vegas metro area is reaching peak capacity, water will be the limiting factor.

Vegas reached peak capacity in the 1800s... Everything since then is doomed to fail

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 10:55:04 am »

Seek, and likely get, an exemption based on the grass being 'functional'.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 12:12:14 pm »
Folks in such a place as there might be water restrictions - I would not live under such a tyranny in the first place - But if you must, you would likely be surprised at what a cistern catching the rain gutter will do. Now, I ain't in a place where water is a problem, but I know plenty of folks back in the sticks that cant get to a well - Drilling is a bit of a crapshoot up in the mountains, but one thing is sure - It WILL cost you 10s of thousands to try.

So there are a lot of dry homesteads that rely wholly on spring and summer rains (winter yields little as everything is frozen) With catchment ponds and cisterns holding thousands of gallons, all from rain on roofs and runoff.

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 02:05:30 pm »
Folks in such a place as there might be water restrictions - I would not live under such a tyranny in the first place - But if you must, you would likely be surprised at what a cistern catching the rain gutter will do. Now, I ain't in a place where water is a problem, but I know plenty of folks back in the sticks that cant get to a well - Drilling is a bit of a crapshoot up in the mountains, but one thing is sure - It WILL cost you 10s of thousands to try.

So there are a lot of dry homesteads that rely wholly on spring and summer rains (winter yields little as everything is frozen) With catchment ponds and cisterns holding thousands of gallons, all from rain on roofs and runoff.

Probably not enough to make much of a difference in a place like Las Vegas.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 02:10:28 pm »
Probably not enough to make much of a difference in a place like Las Vegas.

I know a guy in Arizona that homesteads on rainwater.
Though he has a lot more roof than we do up in here.