Author Topic: Why sailors love a filthy, unwashed coffee mug  (Read 242 times)

rangerrebew

Why sailors love a filthy, unwashed coffee mug
« on: June 08, 2021, 02:48:59 pm »

Sarah Sicard

Athletes on a hot streak or headed to the playoffs in a given sport oftentimes opt out of shaving for fear of interrupting a routine that may throw a wrench into success. Such superstitions, however, are not limited to the participants of any particular sport.

Sailors, for example, but more specifically those those who have achieved the rank of chief, have one superstition that extends into the unsanitary. They never clean their coffee mugs.

The first time I learned of this I was 23 and working in an office in Washington. The director, a Navy veteran whose cubicle I shared, had a note stuck to his mug that read, “Don’t wash me.”

When I inquired, he informed me that it was something he picked up as a sailor. He’d done this with his black coffee for so long, in fact, that he’d simply grown to enjoy the taste of the weeks, months, or years old residue.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2021/06/07/why-sailors-love-a-filthy-unwashed-coffee-mug/

Online roamer_1

Re: Why sailors love a filthy, unwashed coffee mug
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 03:46:11 pm »
Sarah Sicard

Athletes on a hot streak or headed to the playoffs in a given sport oftentimes opt out of shaving for fear of interrupting a routine that may throw a wrench into success. Such superstitions, however, are not limited to the participants of any particular sport.

Sailors, for example, but more specifically those those who have achieved the rank of chief, have one superstition that extends into the unsanitary. They never clean their coffee mugs.

The first time I learned of this I was 23 and working in an office in Washington. The director, a Navy veteran whose cubicle I shared, had a note stuck to his mug that read, “Don’t wash me.”

When I inquired, he informed me that it was something he picked up as a sailor. He’d done this with his black coffee for so long, in fact, that he’d simply grown to enjoy the taste of the weeks, months, or years old residue.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2021/06/07/why-sailors-love-a-filthy-unwashed-coffee-mug/

My old tin camp cup has never seen soap... In fact most of my campware has seldom seen soap. It isn't unsanitary. I wash it in the fire and wipe out  the carbon residue... Except the cup... Same with my go-cup. Unsanitary? bah! You fill it full of boiling coffee all the time, and when it ain't full of coffee it's dry. Whatever might grow on it is dead the minute the coffee hits it again.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 04:00:34 pm »
I thought it was just me.
Had some Asian woman working with me.
She was obsessed with my coffee cup.
White cup covered with coffee stains.
Kept telling her it is just coffee. Who cares?
Kept telling her To Calm Down!
Kept telling her You are being hysterical!
Kept asking her if she is having her time of the month?
She threw it
against the wall
she broke my cup
No
I did not have sex with her, only because I knew she was married...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 04:19:29 pm »
It's not just Navy...hubby does this too..He has several coffee cups and all coffee stained...every once and a while I clean them with this....then stick them in the dishwasher....they come out like new...

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34