Author Topic: Can Manchin Be Trusted on Voter Integrity?  (Read 352 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Can Manchin Be Trusted on Voter Integrity?
« on: June 08, 2021, 02:32:36 pm »
 Can Manchin Be Trusted on Voter Integrity?
How are the voters expected to tell?
by David Catron   
June 7, 2021, 11:25 PM

A lot of Republicans breathed a sigh of relief when Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) reiterated his support for the filibuster and pledged to vote against the For the People Act (S 1). His decision, which he explained in a Sunday op-ed written for the Charleston Gazette-Mail, is certainly good news. But, before celebrating the death of the pernicious “voting rights” bill, it would be useful to read paragraph 12 of Manchin’s column, wherein he declares his support for the equally dangerous John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act (S 4263). This bill, like S 1, would effectively gut voter-ID laws and usurp state sovereignty over elections.

In his op-ed, Manchin makes the following claim about S 4263: “The John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act would update the formula states and localities must use to ensure proposed voting laws do not restrict the rights of any particular group or population.” The senator fails to mention that it would also exhume an obsolete section of the Civil Rights Act (CRA) that violated a key principle of federalism and was declared unconstitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court in Shelby County v. Holder. Hans A. von Spakovsky of the Heritage Foundation explains why the Democrats so desperately want to reinstate this provision of the CRA:

Since the Shelby decision, there has been a false clamor about a supposed loss of voting rights. That is a myth created by the Left and abetted by the media. That myth has been perpetuated as a way of opposing reforms intended to improve the integrity of the election process, such as voter-identification requirements and the cleanup of state­wide voter-registration lists, and to justify the re-imposition of federal control over state election procedures by reviving the preclearance requirement.

more
https://spectator.org/manchin-s-1-voter-integrity/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Can Manchin Be Trusted on Voter Integrity?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 06:05:05 pm »
NO!!!
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 10:14:54 pm »
"Can Manchin Be Trusted on Voter Integrity?"

I'd trust him as far as I could throw him. That ain't very far.

However, our only option is to take him at face value... for now.
He could turn on us later.

Wish there was a deal McConnell could make with him, "an offa he couldn't refuse"...

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 10:41:33 pm »
He's my senator. No, he cannot be trusted.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 02:00:57 am »
If he and Sinema stand up to save the filibuster, then it won't matter if he reneges on H/S1.  They can't get 60 votes, and can't pull the "reconciliation" trick because it isn't a "spending Bill."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 02:11:19 am »
He's my senator. No, he cannot be trusted.

@mountaineer is this actually a matter of trust?

What would the voters of WV have to say if he fell in with the rest of the Ds to eliminate the filibuster and enable all that would follow?

I hope we don't *have* to trust him, but instead can count on you and the other Mountaineers to hold him accountable.
James 1:20