Author Topic: Treasury Secretary Yellen Says Higher Interest Rates Would Be Good For The Country  (Read 4095 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Treasury Secretary Yellen Says Higher Interest Rates Would Be Good For The Country

John Carney 7 Jun 2021

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said President Joe Biden should push forward with his $4 trillion spending plans even if they generate inflation that forces the Fed to hike interest rates.

“If we ended up with a slightly higher interest rate environment it would actually be a plus for society’s point of view and the Fed’s point of view,” Yellen said Sunday in an interview with Bloomberg News.

Several prominent economists have warned that the spending proposals by Biden risk pushing inflation up to undesirable levels, which could force the Fed to raise rates faster than currently expected.

The Fed says that it wants inflation to average two percent over the long term. To achieve that, following years of low inflation, Fed officials say they will let inflation run higher than the target for some time. Fed chair Jerome Powell has said he expects a period of high inflation this summer will prove to be “transitory.”
“We’ve been fighting inflation that’s too low and interest rates that are too low now for a decade,” Yellen said.

The Consumer Price Index jumped 0.8 percent in April, an enormous monthly bout of inflation. The Department of Labor will release May’s CPI on Thursday. Economists expect inflation to slow down to 0.4 percent.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2021/06/07/yellen-welcomes-higher-rates/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rustynail

'Higher Interest Rates Would Be Good For The Country', except for the servicing the debt part.

Offline Hoodat

Treasury Secretary Yellen Says Higher Interest Rates Would Be Good For The Country

Then stop monetizing the debt and let the market set interest rates.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
'Higher Interest Rates Would Be Good For The Country', except for the servicing the debt part.

Dang straight. Even a couple of points right now would drain a serious percentage in tax revenues per year.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
For my own selfish reasons, I'd like to see a 2 or 3 year run of high rates, so I could lock in some good yielding corporate bonds.

Otherwise, there really isn't any upside for the country. Especially it as precursor to some serious inflationary pressures.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
For my own selfish reasons, I'd like to see a 2 or 3 year run of high rates, so I could lock in some good yielding corporate bonds.

Otherwise, there really isn't any upside for the country. Especially it as precursor to some serious inflationary pressures.
You do have a point...but for people who are likely saddled with debt, it's gonna hurt.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
You do have a point...but for people who are likely saddled with debt, it's gonna hurt.

That's another point you've swerved into. A lot of recent home purchases and improvement recently have been financed with, you guessed it, variable rate mortgages. The same ones that crushed the economy 15 years ago.

Its Dena by all over again.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

Dang straight. Even a couple of points right now would drain a serious percentage in tax revenues per year.

Not if they balance the budget.  Higher interest rates would only affect future borrowing - not past borrowing.  Treasury bills are fixed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

Not if they balance the budget.  Higher interest rates would only affect future borrowing - not past borrowing.  Treasury bills are fixed.

I'm no expert but I don't believe that is true. They have varying maturity periods, 10 years for example is a common one, where they have to be rolled over again. They are not forever.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

Except our rollover period is very short because the rate would be too high to service 30-y bonds.

We'd feel the bite of that if rates stayed up for any period of time.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Only if one incurs new debt.

Will not impact anyone say having a mortgage with a locked in rate.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

I'd benefit as well.  Biggest problem I see is higher rates means invariably higher inflation as well, so purchasing power goes down.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

What a stupid comment Yellen makes.

I always thought she looked like a deer in the headlights.

Offline skeeter

Only if one incurs new debt.

Will not impact anyone say having a mortgage with a locked in rate.
Its actually good for holders of fixed rate loans. They will have ended up borrowing expensive money they will repay with cheap money.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Highly-leveraged, cash-poor institutions and their lenders would be at risk of a credit squeeze that could kick off a financial death spiral.

It would help to grow GDP (excluding government and healthcare), increase discretionary disposable income, and increase the velocity of money through the economy.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Its actually good for holders of fixed rate loans. They will have ended up borrowing expensive money they will repay with cheap money.
Exactly.  No negative impact.

Offline Hoodat

I'm no expert but I don't believe that is true. They have varying maturity periods, 10 years for example is a common one, where they have to be rolled over again. They are not forever.

That would be more borrowing.  If the budget is balanced, bonds wouldn't roll over.  They would be paid off and retired when due.  That money is already budgeted.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

That would be more borrowing.  If the budget is balanced, bonds wouldn't roll over.  They would be paid off and retired when due.  That money is already budgeted.

The treasury has to return the face value of the treasury note to you when it reaches maturity. Before that they have to pay you interest every six months at the rate the treasury offered it at.

The treasury doesn't have the money to pay for what they borrowed. So they have to roll over that debt into new treasury notes and then sold at whatever rate is required to get people to purchase them again.

It is old debt along with new debt that is constantly being rolled over.

Offline Hoodat

The treasury doesn't have the money to pay for what they borrowed.

In that event, the budget isn't balanced.  If the budget is balanced, the debt gets retired when it becomes due.  Every annual budget includes money allocated for retiring debt.  If the bond is "rolled over", it means that the money was re-borrowed under a new term.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

In that event, the budget isn't balanced.  If the budget is balanced, the debt gets retired when it becomes due.  Every annual budget includes money allocated for retiring debt.  If the bond is "rolled over", it means that the money was re-borrowed under a new term.

I believe that the last time that the budget was actually balanced (and to his credit) was under Billy Bob Clinton.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

When you "buy" treasure note you are giving the government your money for a fixed term with a fixed interest rate. When that term expires the government has to return your money. When they return your money they have to roll over that debt to someone else to pay you back. At no point is any of that debt "paid off".

If the budget was balanced the debt wouldn't have occurred in the first place. Nothing is balanced or even close.

All of the past debt has to be continuously rolled over as the term for each note expires. So as interest rates go up the cost of servicing that debt goes up as it rolls over.

Offline Hoodat

You're still not getting it.  Let's say the government sold a 10-year $2,000 note at 2% back in 2012.  In 2022, that note becomes due with interest ($2,438).  So the budget outlay for 2022 includes $2,438 to pay that note.  If the 2022 budget is fully funded (i.e. balanced), then that debt gets paid off.  No roll over.  No borrowing to pay it.  The money comes out of that year's revenue.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

I believe that the last time that the budget was actually balanced (and to his credit) was under Billy Bob Clinton.

That is incorrect.  The last time the budget was balanced was in 1957.  Clinton came close one year, but even then the debt still increased.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

You're still not getting it.  Let's say the government sold a 10-year $2,000 note at 2% back in 2012.  In 2022, that note becomes due with interest ($2,438).  So the budget outlay for 2022 includes $2,438 to pay that note.  If the 2022 budget is fully funded (i.e. balanced), then that debt gets paid off.  No roll over.  No borrowing to pay it.  The money comes out of that year's revenue.

You are assuming that any of that debt gets paid off. It does not. At best they only pay the interest out of the budgeted expenses. The principle debt lives on. But in truth a portion of that "budget" is borrowed money so part of that interest paid becomes new debt too.

Offline skeeter

That is incorrect.  The last time the budget was balanced was in 1957.  Clinton came close one year, but even then the debt still increased.
And Clinton had to be dragged kicking and screaming to sign that budget. It was the Gingrich House’s doing.