Author Topic: FDA approves much-debated Alzheimer’s drug panned by experts  (Read 1497 times)

Online corbe

FDA approves much-debated Alzheimer’s drug panned by experts

By MATTHEW PERRONE, AP Health Writer
40 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Government health officials on Monday approved the first new drug for Alzheimer’s disease in nearly 20 years, disregarding warnings from independent advisers that the much-debated treatment hasn’t been shown to help slow the brain-destroying disease.

On Monday, June 7, 2021, the Food and Drug Administration approved aducanumab, the first new drug for Alzheimer’s disease in nearly 20 years, disregarding warnings from independent advisers that the much-debated treatment hasn’t been shown to help slow the brain-destroying disease.

The Food and Drug Administration said it granted approval to the drug developed by Biogen for patients with Alzheimer's disease.

It’s the only drug that U.S. regulators have said can likely treat the underlying disease, rather than manage symptoms like anxiety and insomnia.

The decision, which could impact millions of older Americans and their families, is certain to spark disagreements among physicians, medical researchers and patient groups. It also has far-reaching implications for the standards used to evaluate experimental therapies, including those that show only incremental benefits.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/fda-approves-much-debated-alzheimer-s-drug-panned-by-experts/ar-AAKNfCv?ocid=msedgntp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
New Alzheimer's drug sparks backlash over FDA, pricing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 12:50:44 am »
New Alzheimer's drug sparks backlash over FDA, pricing
By Nathaniel Weixel - 06/12/21 07:57 PM EDT

The approval of a new Alzheimer's drug has sparked a fierce backlash amid concerns about both price and its effectiveness.

The Biogen drug, marketed under the name Aduhelm, is the first Alzheimer's treatment approved in nearly 20 years.

Yet it comes at a massive cost of $56,000 a year per patient, which is likely to renew pressure on Congress and the Biden administration to pass drug pricing reform legislation.

Patients and advocates have been desperately searching for an effective treatment, especially for those who experience mild cognitive decline that progresses to Alzheimer's.

They argue that the new drug provides hope and the possibility of a few more years with loved ones. The approval could also be the starting point for future investments into more, better treatments.

"Approvals of the first drug in a new category benefit people living with the disease by invigorating the field, increasing investments in treatments and generating innovation," the Alzheimer's Association said in a statement.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/558101-new-alzheimers-drug-sparks-backlash-over-fda-pricing
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

Re: New Alzheimer's drug sparks backlash over FDA, pricing
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 02:02:21 pm »
From our earlier discussion:

$56,000 x 1,000,000 = $56 Billion

Biogen Annual Report, 2020
https://investors.biogen.com/static-files/0b109c48-3d3c-4554-8249-74b06c09797e

Total Revenues = $13.4 Billion

And to the first thread where I missed the previous post:

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,439270.msg2442290.html#msg2442290
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online corbe

Re: FDA approves much-debated Alzheimer’s drug panned by experts
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 06:00:24 pm »
   It's all a Racket, not unlike all this CBD $hit being the Cure-All to gullible Americans, this whole fu**king Country is insane, gullible people. 
   Since I can't take the Blue Pills for another 3 weeks, I'm all in on the Purple pills.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 06:10:24 pm »
The 1st prescription order has been filled for the new Alzheimer drug and a source in a position to know said was picked up at CVS by Jill Biden.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 02:20:01 pm »
The 1st prescription order has been filled for the new Alzheimer drug and a source in a position to know said was picked up at CVS by Jill Biden.

Not delivered to the White House in a "discrete package"?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 12:28:59 am »
Nah, that was the second, the first went to the most powerful person in America, her name is Nancy. :silly:

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 12:42:51 am »
Nah, that was the second, the first went to the most powerful person in America, her name is Nancy. :silly:

Something to be said for Nancy though (and I thought I'd never say that).  She has it much more together then Joe.  They both need to step down for the sake of this country.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

BassWrangler

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 04:22:09 am »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 05:34:36 am »

I watched joe giving his speech, while at my mother's today and you could clearly see him falling apart just by watching his eyes, squint, squint then suddenly owl eyes when he went into brain freeze. You could almost hear the voice in his head saying 'oh shit, oh shit, what did Jill tell me to say, damnit no pudding for me!