General Category > Technology

911 app would be a life-saver

(1/1)

sneakypete:
It has occurred to me that one of the public service apps we desperately needs is a "911 app".

Think about this for a moment. You wake up with desperate chest pain at 3 AM one morning,on the verge of death,so you grab your cell phone to dial 911. You are in pain,confused,and scared,and for most people making this call,they need to remember to hit the dial button,then dial 911 in order to make the call. In some/probably most cases,they also have to remember the code to unlock their phones before they can even get started.

What we need is a "911 app" that has a "911" icon to put on your phone home page,so all you have to do is punch that icon with a finger,and it goes ahead and dials the number for you. The 911 operators already have the technology to track your phone in the event you are unable to speak or think clearly,so this app would just be the cherry on top of that pie.

Who knows how many lives this would save each year?

BTW,related to this is one of my pet peeves. Why the HELL would anyone have a code that locks their phone? If you are stroking out or have some other sort of life-threatening emergency you could very well be too confused to remember you even HAVE a damn code,never mind be able to punch it in.

If you have one because you are afraid of losing your phone and someone else using it,you are a fool. ALL you have to do to prevent this is take two simple moves.

Number one is notify the phone company and have them kill that number or put it on watch so the cops can track it down.

Number 2 is "Keep the damn thing in your pocket ANY time you are not using it." If it is in your pocket or attached to you with a belt clip or similar device,you can not lose it.

Now is the time for 100 of you to tell me such an app already exists,and that it is free.

thackney:
I disabled my one-touch 911 after several accidental calls.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: thackney on June 07, 2021, 01:09:12 pm ---I disabled my one-touch 911 after several accidental calls.

--- End quote ---

@thackney

WHAT is a "one touch 911",and WHY would you disable it for notifications after falls. Isn't that one of the reasons it would be used?

After all,it's better to call in and notify whoever that it was a mistake than it is to wait around for someone to notice you haven't been seen in a week or two and notify the po-po to do a wellness check on you.

thackney:
@sneakypete

It was one-touch speed dial.  Twice I called 911 without knowing I had touched that.  I tied up the emergency line for several minutes before I noticed they were yelling at me through my phone at my belt.

Also my phone, and I suspect all phones, allow 911 to be dialed even when the phone is locked.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: thackney on June 07, 2021, 03:28:41 pm ---@sneakypete

It was one-touch speed dial.  Twice I called 911 without knowing I had touched that.  I tied up the emergency line for several minutes before I noticed they were yelling at me through my phone at my belt.

Also my phone, and I suspect all phones, allow 911 to be dialed even when the phone is locked.

--- End quote ---

@thackney

I know that,but I want a app on my cell phone that will dial 911 for me the instant I hit that app. There are emergency situations where some fool in confused from pain/blood loss/stroke,or just shock,and won't be able to remember their code,and even if they do remember it,they still have to unlock their phone hit the phone call button,and then dial 3 numbers. By then it might be too late for some people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version