Author Topic: Manchin to vote against election overhaul bill  (Read 916 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Manchin to vote against election overhaul bill
« on: June 06, 2021, 12:35:37 pm »
Manchin to vote against election overhaul bill
By Mychael Schnell - 06/06/21 07:40 AM EDT

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said he will vote against a sweeping election reform overhaul bill, dubbed the For The People Act, putting the fate of the legislation in jeopardy in the evenly split Senate.

In an op-ed published early Sunday morning in the Charleston Gazette-Mail, Manchin, one of the Democratic caucus’s most conservative members, zeroed in on the partisan nature of the legislation, which has not attracted any Republican support.

“I believe that partisan voting legislation will destroy the already weakening blinds of our democracy, and for that reason, I will vote against the For The People Act," Manchin wrote.

“The truth, I would argue, is that voting and election reform that is done in a partisan manner will all but ensure partisan divisions continue to deepen,” he added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/557033-manchin-to-vote-against-election-overhaul
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Manchin to vote against election overhaul bill
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 02:57:36 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 04:43:01 pm »
A democrat talking sense, who'd a thought ! ?
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 04:46:25 pm »
Dem Meltdown Incoming: Joe Manchin Announces Decision on Voting Bill
https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2021/06/06/dem-meltdown-incoming-joe-manchin-announces-decision-on-voting-bill-n392060

He could easily be arm twisted and might change his mind.  Don't trust him.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 04:52:17 pm »
He could easily be arm twisted and might change his mind.  Don't trust him.

888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 05:37:24 pm »
54 of the 55 county clerks in WV - these are the people who actually run elections - have come out as strongly opposed to the bill. They pointed out that WV has one of the best, most secure election systems in the country, thanks in part to our current (Republican) Secretary of State.
Perhaps Joe actually listened to them.

The one county clerk who supports the bill is in Monongalia County, home of liberal West Virginia University (of course).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 06:52:56 pm »
Typical of Manchin - talk loudly and publicly on what he intends to do so his conservative constituents believe he is one of them, then behind the scenes use the threats to enhance his position within the party with huge payoffs.

When the vote comes, Joe will be voting with the Dems for certain.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 06:56:35 pm »
Typical of Manchin - talk loudly and publicly on what he intends to do so his conservative constituents believe he is one of them, then behind the scenes use the threats to enhance his position within the party with huge payoffs.

When the vote comes, Joe will be voting with the Dems for certain.
Yes, that is exactly what he does.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 07:02:00 pm »
Yes, that is exactly what he does.
Political theater.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 07:52:17 pm »
H.R.1  -  election overhaul but definitely NOT for the People!  That 'authority' should be left to the states not the Feds.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 10:46:16 pm »
H.R.1  -  election overhaul but definitely NOT for the People!  That 'authority' should be left to the states not the Feds.
There is no 'should'.

A law cannot overturn the prerogative of the states contained within the Constitution.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 11:10:43 pm »
There is no 'should'.

A law cannot overturn the prerogative of the states contained within the Constitution.
That is the point that none of these corrupt politicians, DCP or Republicans,  want to point out. HR-1 SR-1 are unconstitutional.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 01:02:29 am »
There is no 'should'.

I would hope that should HR1 pass that it would make it to SCOTUS; unfortunately our newly elected SCOTUS justices so far seem not so conservative.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 02:32:01 pm »
   I love this interparty fighting on the other side.

POLITICO

Rep. Bowman calls Manchin ‘the new Mitch McConnell’

By Quint Forgey  1 hr ago

Rep. Jamaal Bowman on Monday said that Sen. Joe Manchin “has become the new Mitch McConnell,” denouncing the West Virginia Democrat for maintaining his support of the legislative filibuster while opposing his party’s expansive election and ethics reform bill.

In an interview on CNN, Bowman (D-N.Y.) invoked past comments by McConnell that cast the Republican Senate leader as a partisan obstructionist to the agendas of former President Barack Obama and President Joe Biden.

“Now,” Bowman said, “Joe Manchin is doing everything in his power to stop democracy and to stop our work for the people, the work that the people sent us here to do.”

The remarks from Bowman — a progressive freshman lawmaker who in 2020 displaced then-Rep. Eliot Engel, a more moderate 16-term incumbent — come after Manchin on Sunday authored an op-ed in the Charleston Gazette-Mail announcing he would not back the election reform bill.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rep-bowman-calls-manchin-the-new-mitch-mcconnell/ar-AAKN8dK?ocid=msedgntp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 03:00:54 pm »

Rep. Bowman calls Manchin ‘the new Mitch McConnell’

Egads!!!!!  The Burr-Hamilton duel was instigated over less.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline bilo

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 03:56:38 pm »
There is no 'should'.

Do you have faith that the courts will protect our God given constitutional rights?

I don't.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home