Author Topic: Team USA suffers shocking exhibition basketball loss to Nigeria  (Read 1358 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/team-usa-exhibition-basketball-loss-tnigeria

<snipit>
Team USA suffered a tough pre-Olympics loss to Nigeria on Saturday night, 90-87.

It was the first of five exhibition games for the U.S. ahead of the Tokyo Games in a few weeks. The U.S. previously beat Nigeria in the 2012 Olympics, 156-73. Team USA had never lost to a team from Africa before Saturday, according to the team’s website.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Team USA suffers shocking exhibition basketball loss to Nigeria
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 03:11:48 pm »
I bet the Nigerians weren't taking a knee during their national anthem....

Best to play ball and leave politics alone.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 03:14:01 pm »
It was the token white guy on the team and trumps fault.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 03:39:32 pm »
I'm rooting for Slovenia.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 02:41:43 am »
Australia hands Team USA men's basketball another shocking defeat ahead of Tokyo Olympics

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/australia-hands-team-usa-mens-basketball-another-shocking-defeat-ahead-of-tokyo-olympics/

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 03:13:59 am »
I would rather see amateurs who have a hunger for the game play instead of a bunch of prima donna millionaires who look at this as unpaid work.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 03:17:24 am »
Gee that’s too bad. Yawn.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 03:59:37 am »
I am hard pressed to identify a group of people who more seriously need to be taken down several notches than American athletes.

When I was a teenager and watching the Montreal 1976 Olympics I remember being emotionally invested in the success of America's athletes, particularly Sugar Ray Leonard, and seeing the great Cuban Teofilo Stevenson as a bad guy.  Nowadays I'll just about pull for anyone to defeat most American athletes.

Obviously this is a generality and not true in every case - the American athletes who get the most recognition tend to be those who take the most outrageous anti-American positions; the ones we don't hear about are people we would continue to support with pride.  How many articles were written about the first and second place finishers for the women's hammer throw in the recent Olympic trials?

But simply being on the American team no longer means representing me or anything I believe in.  It's another indicator that "United States of America" is a fiction; the country is not united.  It's past time we reverted to the pre-Civil War practice of using plural verb forms for "United States" - the United States are, not the United States is.
James 1:20

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 07:31:08 pm »
You know what separates the winners from the losers?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 07:34:46 pm »
When I was a teenager and watching the Montreal 1976 Olympics I remember being emotionally invested in the success of America's athletes, particularly Sugar Ray Leonard, and seeing the great Cuban Teofilo Stevenson as a bad guy.

I remember the 1972 basketball fiasco like it was yesterday.  At the ripe age of 8, any delusion I had of a fair and just world was crushed after watching that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

BassWrangler

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 07:35:05 pm »
I am hard pressed to identify a group of people who more seriously need to be taken down several notches than American athletes.

When I was a teenager and watching the Montreal 1976 Olympics I remember being emotionally invested in the success of America's athletes, particularly Sugar Ray Leonard, and seeing the great Cuban Teofilo Stevenson as a bad guy.  Nowadays I'll just about pull for anyone to defeat most American athletes.

Obviously this is a generality and not true in every case - the American athletes who get the most recognition tend to be those who take the most outrageous anti-American positions; the ones we don't hear about are people we would continue to support with pride.  How many articles were written about the first and second place finishers for the women's hammer throw in the recent Olympic trials?

But simply being on the American team no longer means representing me or anything I believe in.  It's another indicator that "United States of America" is a fiction; the country is not united.  It's past time we reverted to the pre-Civil War practice of using plural verb forms for "United States" - the United States are, not the United States is.

Well said. I bet we're the only country of there whose athletes demonstrate outright disdain for the country they are supposed to be representing.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 07:39:50 pm »
I remember the 1972 basketball fiasco like it was yesterday.  At the ripe age of 8, any delusion I had of a fair and just world was crushed after watching that.

They still haven't picked up their Silver Medals to this day.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 10:22:33 pm »
They still haven't picked up their Silver Medals to this day.

I remember watching an interview of one of the team members years later.  The reporter asked him if he ever thought about going to Switzerland to pick up his medal.  He responded, "My medal is somewhere in Russia.  Their medals are in Switzerland."

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2021, 10:37:37 pm »

Mr. M is the same way, and I'm pretty close to that point. The Olympics was supposed to be about pure sport, for the love of sport (that is, amateur). The Soviets and East Germans ruined that concept long ago, and permitting NBA players and other pros to participate just sealed the deal. It's hard to cheer for anyone who seems not to give a rat's rear end about the country for which they play, or even for whether or not they win. What do they care?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org