Author Topic: Israel to ask U.S. for $1 billion in emergency military aid  (Read 458 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Israel to ask U.S. for $1 billion in emergency military aid
Axios, Jun 1, 2021

Israel will ask the U.S. for $1 billion in additional emergency military aid this week, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) told "Fox and Friends" on Tuesday and Israeli officials confirmed.

Why it matters: Israeli officials say the aid is needed to replenish the Iron Dome aerial defense system and to purchase munitions for the Israeli air force — mainly precision-guided bombs. But several congressional Democrats have argued against providing additional weapons to Israel after at least 256 Palestinians were killed during last month's fighting in the Gaza Strip, mainly by Israeli airstrikes.

The Iron Dome system was used to intercept hundreds of rockets from Hamas during the 11 days of fighting, and Biden has already said the U.S. would replenish it.

Driving the news: Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz will arrive in Washington on Thursday for talks with Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin and national security adviser Jake Sullivan, Gantz’s office said. The aid request will be the focus of Gantz's visit, Israeli officials say.

While in Washington, Gantz will also discuss the Iran nuclear deal, the Gaza ceasefire and reconstruction efforts, and the situation in Lebanon.

Worth noting: The Biden administration has promised $110 million to go toward reconstruction efforts in Gaza.

What he's saying: “There is going to be a request made by the Israelis to the Pentagon on Thursday for $1 billion in aid to replenish Iron Dome batteries. It will be a good investment for the American people. I will make sure in the Senate that they get the money," Graham told Fox a day after meeting Netanyahu and Gantz in Israel. 

https://www.axios.com/israel-1-billion-military-aid-gaza-iron-dome-486f640a-4b95-470b-a59b-b28673fd404e.html

Re: Israel to ask U.S. for $1 billion in emergency military aid
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 04:42:38 pm »
Just say "Hell, NO!" 

This is so insulting on so many levels.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 04:44:28 pm »
Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks so ....

https://twitter.com/CortesSteve/status/1399757116441870346

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 05:02:59 pm »
I am pro-Israel. I've lived in Israel and speak Hebrew.
However, whoever came up with that "More for Israel" slogan is a complete fool.
That has to be the worst slogan for anything that I ever heard.
What if I change my tagline to, "More for 240B!"?
No need to speculate how well that would go over.
Put me in the 'Do not understand' category.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.