Author Topic: A plastic pandemic: Why single-use face masks are polluting the global environment  (Read 350 times)

rangerrebew

A plastic pandemic: Why single-use face masks are polluting the global environment

by Victoria SanchezWednesday, May 26th 2021

For nearly a year and a half, surgical masks have been a piece of the arsenal in the fight against COVID-19. While the face coverings keep us safe, researchers and environmentalists fear masks could create a plastic pandemic.

7News Health Reporter Victoria Sanchez began documenting discarded personal protective equipment (PPE) in early 2020. Face masks, rubber gloves, and sanitizing wipes are lightweight and would blow across parking lots, get stuck in trees and end up in storm drains.

Conservation and wildlife activist group OceansAsia is known to collect and document plastic trash around the globe. In February 2020, dozens of masks started washing up on beaches. Just two months later, the organization collected 135 masks in less than an hour on Soko Island in Hong Kong.

https://wjla.com/news/health/plastic-pandemic-single-use-face-masks-polluting-global-environment

rangerrebew

It's all Fauci's fault!!  Lock him you eco-warriors. :amen:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It's all Fauci's fault!!  Lock him you eco-warriors. :amen:

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The 'Roomba' robot vacuum cleaner... the battery charged wet/dry vac for spilled milk and cereal on the floor in lieu of a couple of paper towels and windex...

Given these totally ridiculous inventions, you'd think somebody would invent "The Zapper", like in that older movie where sick and elderly are reduced to carbon, where these masks could be disposed.

Have each one guarded by somebody to ensure only facemasks are zapped.  Maybe somebody dressed in a Santa Suit.  I. Don't. Care.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald