Author Topic: Mask mandates and use are not associated with slower state-level COVID-19 spread during COVID-19 gro  (Read 1668 times)

BassWrangler

https://twitter.com/IngrahamAngle/status/1398326975991881741?s=20

"Results Case growth was not significantly different between mandate and non-mandate states at low or high transmission rates, and surges were equivocal. Mask use predicted lower case growth at low, but not high transmission rates. Growth rates were comparable between states in the first and last mask use quintiles adjusted for normalized total cases early in the pandemic and unadjusted after peak Fall-Winter infections. Mask use did not predict Summer 2020 case growth for non-Northeast states or Fall-Winter 2020 growth for all continental states.

Conclusions Mask mandates and use are not associated with slower state-level COVID-19 spread during COVID-19 growth surges. Containment requires future research and implementation of existing efficacious strategies."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.18.21257385v1

Offline thackney

Thanks for posting!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Masks! What are they good for?

The CDC finally said that vaccinated people can ditch the masks. Where I live (in a free red state), a lot of people promptly did. Now, at stores, nobody asks whether those without masks are vaccinated. We trust them to make their own decisions. However, a lot of people are still wearing those skimpy, often dirty rags on their faces. It turns out, though, that they should ditch them, too, because a new, comprehensive study found that masks made no difference to the Wuhan virus’s spread.

Because I’d come from California, with its many wildfires, I had N95 masks on hand when the virus started. We wore them and they may well have stopped a few virus particles from passing through. Of course, the fact that my limited supply meant that we also re-wore them and, about once a week, washed them with liquid detergent suggests that their protection was dubious at best.

Compared to our fellow Americans, though, we were well protected. Whenever we ventured out, we saw people wearing the equivalent of t-shirts or napkins on their faces. They had them under their noses, they touched them constantly, they shuffled them repeatedly in and out of pockets and bags and generally rendered them completely ineffective at stopping viruses. My feeling all year was that the masks were pure theater.

I was right. A study from the University of Louisville, one that initially believed that masks did help, looked at CDC data found -- and discovered that masks were useless when it came to stopping COVID’s spread:-- excerpt, rest at link above --

I was permanently banned from Facebook for spreading this information.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 02:20:21 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You're off Bookface now?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You're off Bookface now?

Have been for months.  I was told that I was persona non grata.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Have been for months.  I was told that I was persona non grata.

You told them to kiss your ass again, didntcha? 888mouth
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

We knew this a year ago.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
You told them to kiss your ass again, didntcha? 888mouth

No. But I did ignore their fact checkers continually!   :tongue2:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
We knew this a year ago.

:yowsa: Longer than that actually!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The average time from exposure to infection without a mask is about 15 minutes. Most cloth masks can only increase that to about 20. With a surgical mask, it's about 30, unless it's an N95, which can extend that to hours of exposure—but there aren't nearly enough N95 masks available. So the only situations where a universal mask mandate would improve outcomes is during situations where you're indoors between 15 and 30 minutes. That includes eating in a bar/restaurant (but you have to remove your mask to eat anyway) and certain grocery shopping trips. It doesn't help in the office, or in school, or at any indoor concert, performance, movie showing or sporting event.

The early assumptions that mask mandates were driving drops in transmission in the early days of the pandemic were a classic case of correlation not being a causation, in which the real driver was improving spring weather and moving of activities to outdoors.

I admitted I was willing to try the mask thing. But I'm not going to panic if I see someone not wearing it because I'm no longer convinced they're effective enough to do much at all.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The average time from exposure to infection without a mask is about 15 minutes. Most cloth masks can only increase that to about 20. With a surgical mask, it's about 30, unless it's an N95, which can extend that to hours of exposure—but there aren't nearly enough N95 masks available. So the only situations where a universal mask mandate would improve outcomes is during situations where you're indoors between 15 and 30 minutes. That includes eating in a bar/restaurant (but you have to remove your mask to eat anyway) and certain grocery shopping trips. It doesn't help in the office, or in school, or at any indoor concert, performance, movie showing or sporting event.

The early assumptions that mask mandates were driving drops in transmission in the early days of the pandemic were a classic case of correlation not being a causation, in which the real driver was improving spring weather and moving of activities to outdoors.

I admitted I was willing to try the mask thing. But I'm not going to panic if I see someone not wearing it because I'm no longer convinced they're effective enough to do much at all.

If you take the time to read the material that comes with N95 masks you will quicky learn that they are designed for use in surgical environments and are pretty much worthless outside those in less than half an hour.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
If you take the time to read the material that comes with N95 masks you will quicky learn that they are designed for use in surgical environments and are pretty much worthless outside those in less than half an hour.
When you take into consideration that even those who could afford to buy the N95 masks were constantly touching both inside and outside surfaces and reusing them until they fell apart....................

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
When you take into consideration that even those who could afford to buy the N95 masks were constantly touching both inside and outside surfaces and reusing them until they fell apart....................

:yowsa:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If the assumption the masks were to reduce infections we knew they were a failure from the get-go, but if the masks were intended to prove they could force people to cover their faces like Moslem slave women, then they were a smashing success.
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
If the assumption the masks were to reduce infections we knew they were a failure from the get-go, but if the masks were intended to prove they could force people to cover their faces like Moslem slave women, then they were a smashing success.

The Joseph Goebbels crowd is proud of that accomplishment I'm sure.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DB

Uncovered eyes are another entry point for a virus in the air. Just a mask had no chance of doing what was claimed - ever.

The "follow the science" chants were a mockery of science by the ignorant or worse.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Uncovered eyes are another entry point for a virus in the air. Just a mask had no chance of doing what was claimed - ever.

The "follow the science" chants were a mockery of science by the ignorant or worse.

:yowsa: Absolutely right!

- J. R. R. Tolkien