Poll

What are you doing this Memorial Day weekend?

Gotta work
4 (20%)
Cook and ENJOY
3 (15%)
Relax, Enjoy the time with my Significant Other
5 (25%)
Mow grass and BBQ
1 (5%)
Be in a pissy mood and make everyone Miserable
3 (15%)
Stay Stoned and be in Amazement at whatever evolves
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: June 26, 2021, 09:49:01 pm

Author Topic: What are you doing this Memorial Day weekend?  (Read 5533 times)

Online corbe

What are you doing this Memorial Day weekend?
« on: May 27, 2021, 09:49:01 pm »
   Besides thinking of those that have given the ultimate sacrifice to this Nation and got us thus far, what are you doing this weekend.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: What are you doing this Memorial Day weekend?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 10:04:05 pm »
Getting a tooth pulled. Another one in front is going. I ain't got many left and am about to lose another.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 03:05:30 am »
Wife's family is coming over, fun group... cook and relax and maybe shoot some guns.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 04:39:56 am »
Well I couldn't really tick a box - If I did it would be the stoner box, without the being stoned... I will largely just be along for the ride.

But the answer is somewhat predictable... An annual pilgrimage to the graveyard to where my Dad is laid... Grave-side flowers and fond remembrance... And if the weather is good, we will retire to the Big House for our first scheduled BBQ of the year... Though nothing so extravagant as to actually call it BBQ - The weather is too unpredictable for that... But there will be grilling. Burgers and dogs, and maybe some bratts... There will be tater salad, and my world famous fake-crab macaroni salad... All the trimmings one would expect, and still be able to move the whole works inside at a moment's notice...

Sorta the dress-rehearsal for the big shindig on the fourth.

Though the Fourth will be subdued this year. My nephew is getting married in August, so some of the clan (one whole branch) will forgo the Fourth in favor of the wedding.

Though I would suppose that 'subdued' should really be in quotes, as the nephew is marrying into a clan that is five houses strong already - And that primary house, that whole clan, is family now, and will largely be attending the Fourth... So it will still be a banger. and August is gonna be a hootenanny.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 05:27:25 am »
Working. We're gonna need the oil. (Back in the patch!)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 05:43:33 am »
Working. We're gonna need the oil. (Back in the patch!)

Congratulations!  happy77
Although, there is a certain correlation beginning to appear... @Smokin Joe gets to work when gas prices are high..

Makes it hard to wish you well  :pondering:

:beer:

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 05:53:44 am »
Although, there is a certain correlation beginning to appear... @Smokin Joe gets to work when gas prices are high..

Makes it hard to wish you well  :pondering:

:beer:
If they are high enough to keep me working, but low enough to afford...

It's still cheaper than spending money on gas, making well under half oilfield wages, and not being able to deduct mileage...but delivering food was fun, too, just didn't make enough.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 06:10:08 am »
If they are high enough to keep me working, but low enough to afford...

It's still cheaper than spending money on gas, making well under half oilfield wages, and not being able to deduct mileage...but delivering food was fun, too, just didn't make enough.

With the decided advantage that you made even, or are not as behinder as you could have been. A good reason to always have a side-hustle going on.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 06:16:56 am »
With the decided advantage that you made even, or are not as behinder as you could have been. A good reason to always have a side-hustle going on.
It was far better for me than sitting and drawing unemployment, although I'd have made 10 grand or more more sitting on my arse. Instead, though, I dropped 60 lbs and got so I could haul stuff to the third or fourth floor without being miserably winded. There is a lot of benefit in getting in better shape that just can't be quantified in dollars and cents. Not as behinder, and hopes of catching up in inflated dollars...'cause they are going to be inflated.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 06:26:01 am »
[...] hopes of catching up in inflated dollars...'cause they are going to be inflated.

*facts*

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 05:36:38 pm »
It’s been raining since Friday but tomorrow’s forecast is sunny. I’m going to put a flag on my dads grave.  :patriot:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 05:59:19 pm »
Well, cooking potatoes and eggs right now to make potato salad for tomorrow.  I stopped in at the local grocery store as I needed a jar of Miracle Whip.  Holy cow; $6.49!!! Seriously, for one dang jar of Miracle Whip.

It is supposed to rain later on today and all day Memorial Day, but hoping to cookout some KC Steak burgers tomorrow.

Just me, my hubby and my daughter, which is fine. Nice and peaceful.  She may bring our grand puppy (Smoke) so she can play with Geronimo if it's not raining.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 06:38:23 pm »
Chillin', enjoying the oasis.

Looks like my little small town is going to be an oasis in the People's Republic of Nueva York in that we have pretty much a full, normal summer ahead. A Memorial Day parade, ceremony and such. I produce a telecast of the local parade as part of a tradition for one of my other online projects.

But other than that, I'm largely chillin'. I might watch the auto races this afternoon, but that hasn't been the same since Jim Nabors retired.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online corbe

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 07:01:16 pm »
   I will listen to Americana Podcasts on Utube while Robin and I laugh the day away.  Probably not BBQ, my backyard is too muddy  She just got up, we'll formulate dinner plans for this glorious day as the settles in the West. through the evening.  @Texas Robin
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 07:14:27 pm »
   I will listen to Americana Podcasts on Utube while Robin and I laugh the day away.  Probably not BBQ, my backyard is too muddy  She just got up, we'll formulate dinner plans for this glorious day as the settles in the West. through the evening.  @Texas Robin

I hear happiness in your posts @corbe   Good for you!   :beer:    happy77
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 02:05:02 pm »
Pounding staples into fence posts

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 02:08:40 pm »
To my family this is a solemn day..we don't participate in BBQs, sales etc...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 02:09:46 pm »

On the flip side, downstream jobs are threatened with high oil prices.  Fortunately for me, my new downstream gig is directly tied to natural gas, not oil.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 02:11:19 pm »
Well, cooking potatoes and eggs right now to make potato salad for tomorrow.  I stopped in at the local grocery store as I needed a jar of Miracle Whip.  Holy cow; $6.49!!! Seriously, for one dang jar of Miracle Whip.

Good to see another Miracle Whip lover in here.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2021, 02:31:37 pm »
Slim Chickens  -  Longview, TX (2018)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 02:41:08 pm »
Good to see another Miracle Whip lover in here.

And another... Though the preference is slight. I will do either, but Miracle Whip is in my fridge.

And which the regular jug costs around $3.50 around here. The big upsidowner squirt jug costs around a buck more, but I never get that...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2021, 02:51:06 pm »
Pounding staples into fence posts

Funny what a guy notices... That H-brace in the corners looks funny to me. I must have run thousands of miles of fence in my life... Never seen an H-braced corner even once. Whether wired or wood, the cross piece is always right on the top... First thing comes to mind is how you must have to go find a gate... I am pretty used to getting in launching over a corner or a crossbuck... Can't do that so much on an H-braced corner...

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2021, 03:03:47 pm »
Funny what a guy notices... That H-brace in the corners looks funny to me. I must have run thousands of miles of fence in my life... Never seen an H-braced corner even once. Whether wired or wood, the cross piece is always right on the top... First thing comes to mind is how you must have to go find a gate... I am pretty used to getting in launching over a corner or a crossbuck... Can't do that so much on an H-braced corner...

Funny, in these parts I do not think I have seen a cross piece on top.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2021, 03:06:04 pm »
Funny, in these parts I do not think I have seen a cross piece on top.

Y'all bend your hats funny too.  :laugh: :seeya:

Offline LegalAmerican