Author Topic: Very stoned Americans are flooding poison control with calls  (Read 1703 times)

BassWrangler

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1397611266093457411?s=20

Mary Jane is seriously holding up the line.

US poison control centers experienced a significant increase in marijuana-related calls between 2017 and 2019, according to a new research letter published Monday in the journal JAMA.

“Our findings document that US poison centers are increasingly receiving calls about adverse events associated with exposures to manufactured cannabis products,” the report’s authors wrote.

The researchers are placing the blame on legalization efforts in a growing number of states, including New York.

“Higher rates in legal states suggest that continued increases may be expected with adult cannabis use legalization in more states,” the scientists wrote.

Of the 28,630 people who called US poison centers between January 2017 and December 2019 to report having consumed too much reefer, the majority had too much flower (65.5%), followed by edibles (19.3%), then concentrates (9.6 percent), vaporized liquids (3.8%) and finally other manufactured products (1.8 percent), according to the National Poison Data System.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/25/very-stoned-americans-are-flooding-poison-control-with-calls

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: Very stoned Americans are flooding poison control with calls
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 06:08:47 pm »
I have pointed out the one time I tried pot (and it messed me up) before (yes one joint that my cousin gave me)... Others over the years denied I was telling the truth (especially on TOS).... I will say it in a nutshell, pot does not react with all people the same, it is dangerous.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 06:17:19 pm »
I once (mistakenly) consumed far too much of a particular CBD edible. It warn’t fun and something I hope to never experience again.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 06:18:17 pm by skeeter »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 06:25:02 pm »
I really don't give a darn about drug abusers who encounter the consequences of their actions.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 08:02:49 pm »
I mistakenly clicked on this because I thought it was a corbe poll.  :shrug:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

BassWrangler

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 09:10:02 pm »

Maybe it should be. @corbe

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 09:19:21 pm »
Marijuana has some very good medicinal benefits and I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives in many cases.

People have been using marijuana for decades to cure and treat many ailments and some of those cures and treatments just can't be found with man made pharmaceuticals.

When patients have exhausted treatment options and nothing is helping, what is wrong with trying medical marijuana; it treats various different cancers, helps with chemo side effects and even treats epilepsy.  It's not all that bad IMO.

Abuse of any substance can be detrimental. 

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

BassWrangler

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 10:10:41 pm »
Marijuana has some very good medicinal benefits and I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives in many cases.

People have been using marijuana for decades to cure and treat many ailments and some of those cures and treatments just can't be found with man made pharmaceuticals.

When patients have exhausted treatment options and nothing is helping, what is wrong with trying medical marijuana; it treats various different cancers, helps with chemo side effects and even treats epilepsy.  It's not all that bad IMO.

Abuse of any substance can be detrimental.

Yes, if you have cancer and are struggling with nausea from chemo, it's worth giving it a try. Or if you are in pain so bad you've been prescribed opioid pain pills, you might be better off trying cannabis. I mean even if you don't get addicted to opioids, the negative side effects seem to outweigh pot, IMHO.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 10:44:32 pm »
I once (mistakenly) consumed far too much of a particular CBD edible. It warn’t fun and something I hope to never experience again.

I was wondering whether the poison control calls were from overly potent edibles or from less than high quality/purity CBD products (which are supposedly THC-free).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 10:45:17 pm »

@corbe is taking notes.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

BassWrangler

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 11:07:00 pm »
I was wondering whether the poison control calls were from overly potent edibles or from less than high quality/purity CBD products (which are supposedly THC-free).

That's what I expected - edibles - since the delayed effect often causes people to eat too much. But the article says "the majority had too much flower (65.5%), followed by edibles (19.3%), then concentrates (9.6 percent), vaporized liquids (3.8%) and finally other manufactured products (1.8 percent)".

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 11:42:12 pm »
While I was in Good Sam's ER amusing the staff there my wife had a chat with the nurse at registration - she said they have people coming in all of the time who mistakenly ate something they found in their brother, sister's or teen's sock drawer, or other such unintended thing. Apparently the potency of the stuff we had in high school is nowhere near what it is today.

Thats the Belfast in your avatar right?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:43:34 pm by skeeter »

BassWrangler

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 11:45:53 pm »
While I was in Good Sam's ER amusing the staff there my wife had a chat with the nurse at registration - she said they have people coming in all of the time who mistakenly ate something they found in their brother, sister's or teen's sock drawer, or other such unintended thing. Apparently the potency of the stuff we had in high school is nowhere near what it is today.

Yes, that is very true. Study with graphs on that here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26903403/

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 11:47:00 pm »

I've heard that...but how does one know unless they have had some of the old stuff laying around for a  really long time to compare to the newer stuff?   :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 11:50:30 pm »
Yes, that is very true. Study with graphs on that here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26903403/
Thanks. All I can say is I've never before been absolutely certain I was dying 'cause I had no idea what I had eaten.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 11:51:43 pm »
I've heard that...but how does one know unless they have had some of the old stuff laying around for a  really long time to compare to the newer stuff?   :shrug:
See Basswrangler's graph. I guess the DEA has been monitoring potency for some time.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 02:14:40 am »
I had a patient who got stoned on a drug and I asked her where she gets these drugs.  She said, "On the street.  It is all over the street."  I said, "Which street because no one has come to me on a street to sell me drugs. Which street?"  She said, "All of them." 

Hmm, I have still never been on a street with someone coming up to me to sell me drugs.  Do any of you know which streets these are? 

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 02:31:46 am »
Years ago, I knew a man who had horrible pain as both his hip bones were dying; he was in a wheelchair.  The doc told him to go to a group the docs ran and it taught them how to use certain marijuana to lessen their pain.  He did go there but did not sign up to get that certain marijuana to use at home.  As for him, eventually, both hips had to be replaced.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 02:44:11 am »
I had a patient who got stoned on a drug and I asked her where she gets these drugs.  She said, "On the street.  It is all over the street."  I said, "Which street because no one has come to me on a street to sell me drugs. Which street?"  She said, "All of them." 

Hmm, I have still never been on a street with someone coming up to me to sell me drugs.  Do any of you know which streets these are?

Yeah... Your patient was exactly right. Anywhere you go, it is just under the surface, just like the rest of 'the street'... I don't know the drugs, really never did... but I do know 'the street'.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 06:17:42 am »
I really don't give a darn about drug abusers who encounter the consequences of their actions.

Their body, their choice.

Works for me.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 06:19:43 am »

Sections of Figueroa Street in Los Angeles used to be like that.  I don't know about now.   I know there were areas near the public housing in Wilmington that had men standing on the corners at night, just standing and waiting.  I would guess there, too.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 01:14:50 pm »

V33, you are the sort of person who would not know where such things are. As I am also.