Author Topic: Paul Ryan to knock Trump in speech at Reagan Library  (Read 1882 times)

BassWrangler

Paul Ryan to knock Trump in speech at Reagan Library
« on: May 27, 2021, 12:34:57 pm »

https://twitter.com/bosnerdley/status/1397880265280835584?s=21

Former Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) is expected to knock former President Trump in a speech Thursday evening at Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California by urging members of his party to avoid rallying behind “one personality” or “second-rate imitations.”

In excerpts of the speech obtained by Punchbowl News, the former Republican vice presidential nominee does not specifically mention Trump by name, but argues that voters “looking for Republican leaders want to see independence and mettle.”

“Once again, we conservatives find ourselves at a crossroads,” he will say, according to Punchbowl. “And here’s one reality we have to face. If the conservative cause depends on the populist appeal of one personality, or on second-rate imitations, then we’re not going anywhere.” ...

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/555665-paul-ryan-to-knock-trump-in-speech-at-reagan-library

Offline thackney

Re: Paul Ryan to knock Trump in speech at Reagan Library
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 01:04:24 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 01:07:42 pm »
Maybe Paul Ryan can also take a little time to rundown the list of good things he's ever done for this country.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 01:22:28 pm »
I wonder which would have more people. His audience or the line-up of people taking pictures near the museum's (on loan) F-14 Tomcat.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 01:54:05 pm »

President Joe Biden, Ryan will argue, won in 2020 by projecting himself as a “nice guy” who would move the country to the center but instead pursued a more leftist agenda than voters thought he would.

“These policies might have the full approval of his progressive supporters, but they break faith with the middle-of-the-road folks who made the difference for him on Election Day,” he will say.

Ryan will also ask conservatives to resist fighting every cultural battle picked by the left, suggesting that ordinary Americans are growing tired of the culture clash.

“We conservatives have to be careful not to get caught up in every little cultural battle,” Ryan will say. “Sometimes these skirmishes are just creations of outrage peddlers, detached from reality and not worth anybody’s time.”

Ryan will argue that Republicans are getting too distracted by minor grievances.

“Culture matters, yes, but our party must be defined by more than a tussle over the latest grievance or perceived slight,” he plans to say.

Ryan appears clearly concerned about the 74,222,958 voters that Trump rallied to his side in 2020 with his fighting style and populist brand of politics. Running with Mitt Romney on the 2012 Republican presidential ticket, Paul Ryan earned only 60,933,504 votes.

To win again, Ryan will argue, conservatives need to return to a more mild form of politics and offer principled conservative solutions.

“We must not let them take priority over solutions ­– grounded in principle – to improve people’s lives,” he will say.

More:  https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/05/27/paul-ryan-conservatism-is-doomed-if-we-trust-donald-trump-populist-appeal/

I think a straightjacket would be a thoughtful gift for this loser....  FTA:

“We win majorities by directing our loyalty and respect to voters,

BassWrangler

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 02:21:59 pm »
Much like Romney, he's the gift that keeps on giving.

I wonder what caused him to pop his head up at this particular time. Maybe he thinks it's now safe to try and make a comeback?

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 02:31:57 pm »
“We win majorities by directing our loyalty and respect to voters,

Green Bay, Apr 2019

Milwaukee, Jan 2020

JANESVILLE, Wis, Oct 2020  (Ryan's home town)

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 02:34:35 pm »

I wonder what caused him to pop his head up at this particular time. Maybe he thinks it's now safe to try and make a comeback?
His corporate benefactors are keen to get control of the GOP back so they can get back to making the Big Bucks.

BassWrangler

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 02:39:06 pm »
His corporate benefactors are keen to get control of the GOP back so they can get back to making the Big Bucks.

Yep, that sounds right. Hopefully he'll see his shadow and return back to his hole in the ground for at least another year.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 02:54:20 pm »
Ronald Reagan & the 11th Commandment
https://www.reagan.com/ronald-reagan-the-11th-commandment

Is there a more ironic place to openly break that "commandment" than the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 02:54:28 pm »
In the children's section, I presume?  Remember, former Speaker Eddie Munster, it's still a school night.  Don't stay up too late.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 04:37:15 pm »
Eww....he's coming to California?    He's going to desecrate the Reagan Library.   The place will never be the same after Ronnie gets up and walks into the ocean to get away.

And when did RINO Ryan become a conservative?   He starts out with "We conservatives"?   Was that a misspelling and the transcript dropped an "e", like in the story "ETAOIN SHRDLU" by Fredric Brown?

He's certainly not speaking for me, and I'm pretty sure he's not talking for Gimli son of Gloin, or Bifur and Bofur, who would be wee conservatives, since they all like to deal with their problems with an iron axe.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 04:38:57 pm »

Trump was seen waxing his airplane over the weekend.

So the RINOs have to pull something out and polish it, too, no matter how small.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 04:40:19 pm »
Ronald Reagan & the 11th Commandment
https://www.reagan.com/ronald-reagan-the-11th-commandment

RINO Ryan isn't really a Republican.

He's a Republican In Name Only, thus the rule does not apply, and it also means Trump can say anything he wants against RINOs of all stripes and hyena spots.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 05:13:12 pm »
Could someone highlight the specific parts of the posted article in which Ryan "knocks" Trump?  The only time I see Trump mentioned in excerpts of Ryan's remarks the reference is complimentary :
In excerpts of the speech first obtained by Punchbowl News and later shared with The Hill, the former Republican vice presidential nominee commends what he calls "historic reforms" passed in early 2020, including "increased revenue from a broader tax base, capital and jobs coming back to America," which he argues were fueled by "the populism of President Trump in action, tethered to conservative principles."
The remarks look to me more like an attempt to mix together "Big Tent" Republicanism with Principled Conservatism with Trumpian populism.  Isn't that what the R party needs to be figuring out?

We talk a big game here about media lies and distractions.  So when "The Hill" headlines an article in a way designed to drive dissension within the R party, why do we fall for it?
James 1:20

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 05:19:22 pm »
Could someone highlight the specific parts of the posted article in which Ryan "knocks" Trump?  The only time I see Trump mentioned in excerpts of Ryan's remarks the reference is complimentary :The remarks look to me more like an attempt to mix together "Big Tent" Republicanism with Principled Conservatism with Trumpian populism.  Isn't that what the R party needs to be figuring out?

We talk a big game here about media lies and distractions.  So when "The Hill" headlines an article in a way designed to drive dissension within the R party, why do we fall for it?

No, actually.

The GOP doesn't need more zoo animals in the tent.

The GOP needs to close the circus and get rid of the pangolins and bats, because that's how they allegedly breed China Virus.

So, no, we don't need any self-proclaimed "Principled Conservatives (TM)" or any cruise ship directors like Ryan.

The GOP needs AMERICANS.   And since conservatism is not a hyphenated sub-race of Americans, there are only "conservatives", and if they don't fight the Rodents and the RINOs, like all those fools still supporting the Rodents' Big Lie that the election was not stolen, they really aren't wanted by the Americans seeking to repair the GOP.

If they're not going to fight, they're not Americans, they're not conservatives and they do not belong in the GOP.

They're dirt. 

Freshly dropped by the cow.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 05:28:47 pm »
No, actually.

The GOP doesn't need more zoo animals in the tent.

The GOP needs to close the circus and get rid of the pangolins and bats, because that's how they allegedly breed China Virus.

So, no, we don't need any self-proclaimed "Principled Conservatives (TM)" or any cruise ship directors like Ryan.

The GOP needs AMERICANS.   And since conservatism is not a hyphenated sub-race of Americans, there are only "conservatives", and if they don't fight the Rodents and the RINOs, like all those fools still supporting the Rodents' Big Lie that the election was not stolen, they really aren't wanted by the Americans seeking to repair the GOP.

If they're not going to fight, they're not Americans, they're not conservatives and they do not belong in the GOP.

They're dirt. 

Freshly dropped by the cow.

Thanks for demonstrating my point.

BassWrangler

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 05:33:20 pm »
Thanks for demonstrating my point.

To me, this isn't about Trumpism. Ryan's record stands on its own, separate from Trump, and it's not good. He is/was a massive surrender monkey. I'm all for reaching out to broaden the base, but we also need people who will stand up and defend the party when the Dems try to spin us as racists or other negative things - not someone who will cave and try to appease the media/dems. That approach has been tried for years and it doesn't work.

The pinnacle of that approach, IMHO, was John McCain. This guy sucked up to the media for *years*, but in the end, when he ran for president, it didn't buy him squat. They all did their best to paint him as Hitler reincarnate.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 05:43:36 pm »
To me, this isn't about Trumpism. Ryan's record stands on its own, separate from Trump, and it's not good. He is/was a massive surrender monkey. I'm all for reaching out to broaden the base, but we also need people who will stand up and defend the party when the Dems try to spin us as racists or other negative things - not someone who will cave and try to appease the media/dems. That approach has been tried for years and it doesn't work.

The pinnacle of that approach, IMHO, was John McCain. This guy sucked up to the media for *years*, but in the end, when he ran for president, it didn't buy him squat. They all did their best to paint him as Hitler reincarnate.

No argument with any of that.  I'm not defending Paul Ryan or the ridiculous idea that Rs can apologize and appease their way into victory.

I'm asking whether anyone here can cite a reference in the posted article that knocks Trump, as the article's contrived headline says, and I'm asking why we are so easily baited by that contrived headline.

BassWrangler

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 05:45:22 pm »
No argument with any of that.  I'm not defending Paul Ryan or the ridiculous idea that Rs can apologize and appease their way into victory.

I'm asking whether anyone here can cite a reference in the posted article that knocks Trump, as the article's contrived headline says, and I'm asking why we are so easily baited by that contrived headline.

That's a fair point. We should wait and see what Ryan actually says rather than get all agitated over some hit piece from The Hill.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 06:21:24 pm »
That's a fair point. We should wait and see what Ryan actually says rather than get all agitated over some hit piece from The Hill.

You mean to tell me this Shill article is "clickbait??"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 06:37:46 pm »

Fair enough. I'm making assumptions from what I've heard Ryan say in the not so distant past. But we shall see.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2021, 06:41:52 pm »

Ryan's continued presumption that he holds a position of relevance in the GOP after he worked so hard to help the Democrats stymie Trump's agenda during the years 2017-2018 are an insult to Trump and all other Americans. 

The text of what he might or might not say is not important, nobody should be listening him because he's as trustworthy as credible as a used politician.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2021, 06:46:37 pm »

People who seem to think the worst of Ryan weren't surprised by the headline, I suppose.
Ryan, in his younger days, was quite the deficit hawk.
If he were to return to that Ryan, this could change, and would be a welcome addition, IMO.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2021, 06:52:38 pm »
Ryan's continued presumption that he holds a position of relevance in the GOP after he worked so hard to help the Democrats stymie Trump's agenda during the years 2017-2018 are an insult to Trump and all other Americans. 

The text of what he might or might not say is not important, nobody should be listening him because he's as trustworthy as credible as a used politician.

There you go again, making my point for me.

The Hill headlined this article with a lie - nowhere does the article demonstrate that Ryan's remarks will "knock" Trump - designed to keep hair-triggers churning dissension within the R party.  And it looks like it's working.