Author Topic: Marine Corps deactivates its final active-duty tank battalion  (Read 959 times)

rangerrebew

Marine Corps deactivates its final active-duty tank battalion
Philip Athey

The last tanks assigned to 1st Tank Battalion depart Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, California, July 6, 2020. Sgt. Courtney White/Marine Corps)

The Marine Corps deactivated the historic 1st Tanks Battalion on Friday in a ceremony celebrating the storied unit’s historic past and “complicated relationship” with the wider Marine Corps.

The battalion was deactivated as part of Marine Corps Commandant Gen. David Berger’s larger restructuring of the Corps. With the deactivation at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, California, the Marine Corps officially shut down its final battalion of active-duty tankers.

Even though the Corps’ needs led to the deactivation of its tanks, the final commander of 1st Tanks said during the deactivation ceremony that he hopes the armored community will someday return and be ready to take on the mission — much like the first tankers did at the beginning of World War II.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2021/05/25/marine-corps-deactivates-its-final-active-duty-tank-battalion/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Marine Corps deactivates its final active-duty tank battalion
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 03:14:45 pm »
I can't be the only one that sees this as a serious mistake.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline AARguy

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 04:37:36 am »
I'm an Old Soldier, not a Marine, but the Army is poising to do the same thing. If I set aside my age and traditional (old fashioned?) attitudes, I have to admit that this sounds like a good idea. The replacement systems will be faster, more nimble vehicles which will deploy and control swarms of unmanned vehicles. This makes sense. There was a time when Infantry could be overwhelmed by heavily armored tanks which attacked with machine guns and a stunning "main gun". Infantry had some early weapons which attempted to counter tanks... things like bazookas and such. Thicker armor and improved tactics minimized the effects of such weapons. Artillery, traditionally an "area weapon", was not really an effective anti-armor weapon system either.

Today, with pinpoint "sensor fused weapons" delivered by air, tanks have become very vulnerable. But even more significantly, JAVELIN has arrived on the battlefield. JAVELIN is a "fire-and-forget" weapon that has changed the nature of armored warfare. Reference is often made to our six Special Forces Soldiers in three pickup trucks that inflicted such massive casualties on an Iranian tank Battalion that the Iranians were forced to surrender. Tanks have, sadly, largely become obsolete. From the original "shock and awe" system that could slice through large formations of enemy Infantry, it has become a huge target... vulnerable now to tremendously improved hostile game changing weapons like ground based JAVELIN and air delivered sensor-fused weapons.

Traditionally, an enemy faced a lethal, lumbering, scary tank whose threatening presence inflicted as much fear as damage. And there wasn't a lot that light forces could do to stop it. It was kind of like Goliath overwhelming a David, who had no effective weapons at all. Now light Infantry can stop tanks dead in their tracks. David can tear Goliath apart. So, we have come up with a new, better solution.

Infantry today can face a few tanks and remove them at extended ranges with lethality and precision. The replacement systems will change that. Now the enemy will face a swarm of ground and aerial unmanned vehicles. It'll be like a swarm of bees, only the bees are armed. Remember the old bug movies where hapless victims tried to fend off swarms of bees with rifles? Well, that scenario will soon be real in future combat.

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 04:54:06 am »
Modern weapons and delivery systems that can penetrate tank armor have advanced faster than tank armor technology.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 05:18:21 am »
You aren't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 05:25:03 am »

Today, with pinpoint "sensor fused weapons" delivered by air, tanks have become very vulnerable. But even more significantly, JAVELIN has arrived on the battlefield. JAVELIN is a "fire-and-forget" weapon that has changed the nature of armored warfare. Reference is often made to our six Special Forces Soldiers in three pickup trucks that inflicted such massive casualties on an Iranian tank Battalion that the Iranians were forced to surrender. Tanks have, sadly, largely become obsolete. From the original "shock and awe" system that could slice through large formations of enemy Infantry, it has become a huge target... vulnerable now to tremendously improved hostile game changing weapons like ground based JAVELIN and air delivered sensor-fused weapons.

While I am not arguing with your concept, when did US Special Forces face off with Iranians?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline AARguy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 07:40:03 am »
Ooops! Iraqis... gimme a break... I was on the design team for dirt and things give out with constant use.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 09:25:40 am »
I'm an Old Soldier, not a Marine, but the Army is poising to do the same thing. If I set aside my age and traditional (old fashioned?) attitudes, I have to admit that this sounds like a good idea. The replacement systems will be faster, more nimble vehicles which will deploy and control swarms of unmanned vehicles. This makes sense. There was a time when Infantry could be overwhelmed by heavily armored tanks which attacked with machine guns and a stunning "main gun". Infantry had some early weapons which attempted to counter tanks... things like bazookas and such. Thicker armor and improved tactics minimized the effects of such weapons. Artillery, traditionally an "area weapon", was not really an effective anti-armor weapon system either.

Traditionally, an enemy faced a lethal, lumbering, scary tank whose threatening presence inflicted as much fear as damage. And there wasn't a lot that light forces could do to stop it. It was kind of like Goliath overwhelming a David, who had no effective weapons at all. Now light Infantry can stop tanks dead in their tracks. David can tear Goliath apart. So, we have come up with a new, better solution.

Infantry today can face a few tanks and remove them at extended ranges with lethality and precision. The replacement systems will change that. Now the enemy will face a swarm of ground and aerial unmanned vehicles. It'll be like a swarm of bees, only the bees are armed. Remember the old bug movies where hapless victims tried to fend off swarms of bees with rifles? Well, that scenario will soon be real in future combat.

@AARguy

I bow to your superior knowledge of this subject.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 09:27:04 am »
Modern weapons and delivery systems that can penetrate tank armor have advanced faster than tank armor technology.

@DB

Thanks,I just learned that from AARGuy.