Author Topic: They Were Only Children  (Read 7334 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

They Were Only Children
« on: May 26, 2021, 07:33:47 pm »
They Were Only Children
NY Times, May 26, 2021

When asked to describe how they felt, many parents answered with a simple “It’s God’s will,” their voice often reduced to a whisper, the words conveying resignation. They said their children had wanted to be doctors, artists and leaders.

“I’m in disbelief,” said Saad Asaliya, a taxi driver from Jabaliya, who lost his 10-year-old daughter. “I try to calm myself by saying it was God’s will for her to go.”

During 11 days of fighting this month between Israel and Hamas, at least 66 children under age 18 were killed in Gaza and 2 in Israel, according to initial reports.

These are the children who died.

More:  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/05/26/world/middleeast/gaza-israel-children.html

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: They Were Only Children
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 07:39:25 pm »
Human shields. Damn shame that Hamas kills their own children.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:38:58 pm »

FTA

Nearly all of the children killed were Palestinian.

Gaza is crowded and its population skews young, with about half under age 18. So when Israeli warplanes hit homes and residential neighborhoods, the number of children at risk is extraordinary. Sometimes nearly entire households disappear with a single blast.

Israel blames Hamas for the high civilian death toll in Gaza because the group fires rockets and conducts military operations from civilian areas. Israel’s critics cite the death toll as evidence that Israel’s strikes were indiscriminate and disproportionate.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 08:44:48 pm »
On May 19, the day before Israel and Hamas agreed to a cease-fire, Dima Asaliya, 10, was walking home from her older sister’s house carrying an electric pizza oven. It was a small one, her father, Saad Asaliyah, said, the size of a soccer ball, that the family used to bake bread.

An Israeli surveillance drone had been hovering overhead, and Mr. Asaliyah now wonders if Israeli soldiers mistook it for a weapon.

“Maybe their alarms went off because of the stove,” he said. “But did they not see how small she was?”

There was an explosion, and his youngest child was gone.

“Do you see her picture?” he asked. “She’s worthy of our grief.”

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 08:48:40 pm »

Once the war started, Ido Avigal, 5, was so anxious that he did not want to sleep, shower or eat alone, said Shani Avigal, his mother.

When sirens started blaring in Sderot, Israel, he huddled with his family in a fortified safe room at his aunt’s home. But when a rocket hit a nearby building, shrapnel punctured the thick glass of the safe room, tearing into his stomach and killing him.

Ms. Avigal said her son was caring and loving, and had recently told his classmates that “not all Arabs are bad.”

“I said they all don’t want to kill us,” he told his mother. “I eventually convinced them.”

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 10:00:47 pm »
What I'd expect from the New York Whateveritis.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 10:18:05 pm »
I have zero sympathy for the Arab Pali "parents" who let Hamas use their children and families as human shields.

Nor do I have patience for the monumentally dumb idea that Israel would risk a highly trained pilot and plane or waste a missile trying to take out civilians who have zero military value.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 04:50:13 am »
I have zero sympathy for the Arab Pali "parents" who let Hamas use their children and families as human shields.

Where are parents and their children to go?  It is a small geographical area just 25 miles long and 7.5 miles at its widest with 2.1 million people. No bomb shelters have been approved so they do not exist.  In Gaza, civilians have home, school, hospital or the street for protection in one of the most densely populated areas on Earth.

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 05:26:02 am »
Islam is a culture of death.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 01:32:44 pm »
Where are parents and their children to go?  It is a small geographical area just 25 miles long and 7.5 miles at its widest with 2.1 million people. No bomb shelters have been approved so they do not exist.  In Gaza, civilians have home, school, hospital or the street for protection in one of the most densely populated areas on Earth.

That is the choice they should be forcing on Hamas. Or maybe just force Hamas out of their residential neighborhoods, schools, and hospitals.

The Arab Palis do not have a legitimate cause, and the means they use - using civilians and civilian facilities as shields - is criminal.

Israel, OTOH, being a sovereign nation, has the right to defend itself, and while they are obligated to take measures to minimize civilian casualties - and do! - they are not obligated to do so perfectly.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 01:45:23 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 02:13:50 pm »
Hamas purposely places itself in civilian areas to use locals as human shields.  To nutralize Hamas' threat to all civilians, Isreal has to risk harm to civilians.

After Hamas attacks Israel, and Israel defends itself, Hamas uses the unfortunate deaths of civilians, especially children, as anti-Israeli propaganda.

Hamas doesn't give a damn about Gazans.  Hamas is an asymmetrical warfare unit of the Iranian military.  Gazans are pawns in Iran's attempt to establish Iranian hegemony over the Middle East.

Hamas has missiles.  Have they built schools, hospitals, power plants, water treatment plants, or anything else to improve the quality of life in Gaza?  No.  Hamas' priority is the destruction of Israel, not the governence of Gaza.

Gazans would do themselves a favor to rid themselves of Hamas.  Then, maybe, life would be able to improve for Gazans.  Gaza, are you better off now than you were before Hamas took over?

What would you do if the people below were your nextdoor neighbors?

Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 02:24:05 pm »
The anti-Israel brigade weighs in.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 05:55:06 pm »
The anti-Israel brigade weighs in.

Like the world- renowned anti-semite, David Ben-Gurion, who later in his life advised Israel to give back the occupied land, or Israel would never know peace, never know security, never know true acceptance?  @Cyber Liberty

Or the "anti-Israel brigade" who pleads with Israel to make lasting peace before "peace" is thrust upon her?  The brigade that reminds Israel it's absurd to lose the world to keep 26 miles of territory under her control?

Or are you calling the brigade "anti-Israel" that tells Israel to stop being her own worst enemy by diddling around with occupied territory she's no intention of annexing? ---

Why would you malign people who want Israel to be free of the occupation and able to build -- without constraint or interruption -- on renewed friendships to strenghten a local coalition against Iran, because THIS -- not more dead Gazans -- will make Israel secure?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 06:10:44 pm »
I'd settle for supporting Israel's fighting back after 3-4,000 Iranian-supplied missiles rained down on her civilians.  I don't even get that sometimes.

Instead I get "Yes, Israel is fighting back!  BUT..... 

Israel started it all by existing.  Those poor, put upon Palestinians.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 07:05:51 pm »
I'd settle for supporting Israel's fighting back after 3-4,000 Iranian-supplied missiles rained down on her civilians.  I don't even get that sometimes.s.

Are you not the least bit interested in finding a way to make the 4,000 Iranian supplied missle stop -- for real and for good?

It's been 54 years since the capture of the territories without annexation and 34 years since the first Palestinian Intifada.  When is okay to ask -- without being labeled "anti-Israel -- if there isn't a better way for Israel to achieve peace and security?

(For those waiting for the military cleansing of Palestinians from the territories --- give it up.  It is impossible for Israel to do this --- presicisely because she is the world's Jewish State.)

What are your options for ending this repetitive, disruptive, debilitating and dehumanizing cyle of war @Cyber Liberty

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 07:16:37 pm »
Are you not the least bit interested in finding a way to make the 4,000 Iranian supplied missle stop -- for real and for good?

It's been 54 years since the capture of the territories without annexation and 34 years since the first Palestinian Intifada.  When is okay to ask -- without being labeled "anti-Israel -- if there isn't a better way for Israel to achieve peace and security?

(For those waiting for the military cleansing of Palestinians from the territories --- give it up.  It is impossible for Israel to do this --- presicisely because she is the world's Jewish State.)

What are your options for ending this repetitive, disruptive, debilitating and dehumanizing cyle of war @Cyber Liberty

Annihilate the Palistineans until they beg Israel (by Unconditional Surrender) to stop would be a start.  If they do that, then Israel can annex Gaza and the West Bank while remaining a majority-Jewish country.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 07:22:43 pm »
Maybe the people living in Gaza should stop allowing their land to be used as a rocket launching pad for terrorists intent on killing children.

Hmmmm?

I'm glad that 33 times more children in Gaza were killed than in Israel.    If the Gaza people don't like seeing their children killed, they should stop supporting the murder of someone else's children.

Those who seek death for others shouldn't complain when death finds them.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2021, 07:25:06 pm »

Think of it as evolution in action.  Bad genes are being removed.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 07:30:52 pm »
A greater mind than mine once pointed out that if Israel ever wants peace from the Moslems, they will have to kill them all.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 07:40:50 pm »
Annihilate the Palistineans until they beg Israel (by Unconditional Surrender) to stop would be a start. 

And then what?  Israel's charged with war crimes and the Biden administration abstains?  Iran and Hezbollah take out the iron dome capabilities?  The UN sends peacekeeping troops to Israel, Gaza and the West Bank?  They're itching to do this @Cyber Liberty

Uner your scenario Israel will lose even though she wins.  How's that going to work for you?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:42:35 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 07:42:29 pm »
And then what?  Israel's charged with war crimes and the Biden administration abstains?  Iran and Hezbollah take out the iron dome?  The UN sends peacekeeping troops to Israel, Gaza and the West Bank?  They're itching to do this @Cyber Liberty

Uner your scenario Israel will lose even though she wins.  How's that going to work for you?

I'd settle for people to stop bitching when Israel has to defend herself from wild animals.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 07:50:14 pm »
I'd settle for people to stop bitching when Israel has to defend herself .

What about the occupation @Cyber Liberty ?  Do you see anyplace this fits in Israel's need to defend herself?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2021, 07:51:49 pm »
Everyone should keep in mind that Palestinians do not "accidentally" kill Israeli children.
Palestinians target schools, hospitals, and children intentionally.
Before Israel built the protective wall, Palestinians routinely conducted raids on kindergartens and schools to kill children. They said they wanted to 'demoralize' Israelis by killing their children.

On the other hand, I have seen Israeli forces cancel or halt an attack if they saw that Palestinian children may be caught up in it. I have seen Palestinian men hold their children in front of them as a 'literal' shield because they knew Israelis would not fire. And there have been cases during the intifada where Palestinians would empty morgues of children and others to throw the bodies on top of rubble (along with stuffed animals and toys) after an Israeli airstrike.

Also, Palestinians will kill their own people, including children, if they can blame it on Israel somehow. They call them, "martyrs for Allah".
Nothing Arabs say can be trusted in time of conflict. 'Lying' to an enemy is not only permissible in Islam, it is actually a revered Islamic war tactic.

In particular, Islamists are famous for negotiating a 'truce' or 'peace', and then they attack later when they are ready. This is even in their folklore.
A moderate Muslim, is a Muslim who has run out of ammunition.

This is all based on my experiences during years in the Middle East.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2021, 07:55:57 pm »
What about the occupation @Cyber Liberty ?  Do you see anyplace this fits in Israel's need to defend herself?

Yes it does.  They aren't doing enough of it.  If Israel assumes the pre-67 borders, then they will assume room temperature shortly after.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2021, 08:09:23 pm »
Yes it does.  They aren't doing enough of it.  If Israel assumes the pre-67 borders, then they will assume room temperature shortly after.

This is one school of thought.

As I've said before, I've enormous respect and admiration for the PR branch of the Israeli government ...  truly.   :hattip: