Author Topic: Opinion: J.D. Vance can finish the revolution Trump started  (Read 191 times)

Offline mountaineer

Opinion: J.D. Vance can finish the revolution Trump started
Cincinnati Enquirer
May 21, 2021
James Berger
J.D. Vance, the venture capitalist who chronicled the hardships facing working-class Americans in his autobiography "Hillbilly Elegy," is widely expected to run for Ohio's open U.S. Senate seat in 2022. And he's already coming under fire from rivals who are highlighting Vance's 2016 and 2017 criticisms of President Donald Trump.

Those attacks lack context. Like many other Republicans, Vance was initially skeptical of Trump – but only because he doubted whether the Manhattan billionaire would actually follow through on his America First agenda. Once Vance realized the 45th commander-in-chief was keeping his promises to working-class voters, he became an ardent Trump supporter.

Diehard Trump fans needn't worry about Vance's commitment to the president's agenda. In fact, when it comes to actual policy issues – like immigration – Vance is by far the "Trumpiest" contender for Ohio's Senate seat. He's uniquely suited to stand up for working-class Americans who've been left behind by elites in both parties.  ...
I noticed that Vance retweeted this editorial - perhaps an endorsement of it. As an aside, I read "Hillbilly Elegy" and thought it was excellent. My family has lived in W.Va. since the 1700s, when it still was part of Va. (I was born in Pa., but now live in W.Va.), and I agree with his description of the Appalachian mindset.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: Opinion: J.D. Vance can finish the revolution Trump started
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 02:03:26 pm »
Why Trump Haters Have Set Their Sights on J. D. Vance
Vance will continue to be an object of scorn for liberals who feel betrayed by him.
By Chris Buskirk
July 5, 2021

The Progressive Left has a bullseye on J. D. Vance. Ever since he announced his run for the U.S. Senate in Middletown, Ohio last week to replace retiring Republican Rob Portman, the media has been bashing him. The Daily Beast claims he’s “an avatar of GOP corruption” and is upset that he mentioned Jeffrey Epstein and John Weaver as sex predators (the author says that’s a QAnon conspiracy!), while New York magazine says Vance’s campaign “feels doomed” less than 24 hours after he made his announcement speech in front of a pumped-up crowd of around 500. 

The liberal press is joined in its opposition to Vance by the anti-Trump ex-Republicans at the Lincoln Project, which spent close to $100 million against Trump last year. Bill Kristol and a list of other D.C.-based Trump haters have spent the days since his announcement calling Vance a “dirtbag” and a racist for using horrible terms like “nation-state.” ...

And then the knives were out for him. It’s much more intense now that he’s a candidate for Senate, but it’s been going on for years.

In August 2019, the Washington Post ran an op-ed accusing Vance of—you guessed it—“white nationalism.” Why? Because he had just given a speech in which he said he thought it was good for America when people are getting married and having children and bad when they are not.  ...   More at American Greatness

Offline mountaineer

Re: Opinion: J.D. Vance can finish the revolution Trump started
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 12:05:44 pm »
At times, Vance has been the darling of Trump supporters; other times he's considered a RINO and not a conservative at all. I have no idea. My state has its own RINO U.S. Senator to worry about.  :whistle:
The Ohio GOP Senate Primary Is an Embarrassing Spectacle
Josh Mandel and J.D. Vance are locked in a race to the bottom.
Joe Lancaster | 10.8.2021 12:15 PM

...    Vance, who infamously insisted in 2016 that he would "never vote for Trump," said after launching his Senate campaign this summer that since Trump is "the leader of this movement…I need to just suck it up and support him." Since then, he has moved deeper and deeper into the authoritarian nationalist wing of the American right, whose members want to use state power to bend society to their will. Last month, for example, he declared that nonprofits like the Ford Foundation are "fundamentally cancers on society" and called for the government to "seize…their assets" and redistribute the proceeds.

Yet Mandel apparently considers Vance a squish, calling him "a RINO and a Never Trumper." He repeatedly has called for the 2020 election to be "decertified," claiming that Trump actually won. While Republicans in Congress have objected to a larger investigation of the January 6 events at the U.S. Capitol, when pro-Trump rioters tried to halt the counting of votes, and they don't tend to dwell on the events themselves. Mandel, by contrast, referred to his fellow Ohio Republican, Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, as a "traitor" after Gonzalez voted to impeach the then-president over his behavior before and during the event.  ...

Both candidates seem to be doing the same thing: playacting what they think the Trump base wants to see. Whether they're pandering or whether they truly believe these things, the spectacle is bad news. If there's one thing that we should have learned over the last five years, it's that Republicans who are this beholden to Trump have absolutely no appetite for limiting the size and scope of federal power. ...
Entire article at Reason magazine